Eset Virus Signature Database Update Goes Slow With Default Dns Settings On Nic

tmuster2k

Had a customer the other day who was having ESET VSD updates going very slow and causing the updates to fail. (General- VSD update failed)- nothing else.The update when it failed took almost 15min as it did get to the module updates. I have had these in the past and if I go into their NIC settings and set the NIC to a PUBLIC DNS like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8 the Updates go through right away. Customer originally had Obtain DNS automatically so it was pulling the DNS from the router (192.168.1.1) from their ISP. I did a speedtest and their FIOS connection was blazing fast and no slowdown. In fact the Offline installer took only about 1min.  My question is:   Why do ESET VSD updates go so slow sometimes with their Default DNS sever from router ?  And how come the Updates are always consistently fast with a public DNS?

• Administrators

The best would be to get a Wireshark log from update for analysis. Please contact Customer care who will help you troubleshoot the issue.

The best would be to get a Wireshark log from update for analysis. Please contact Customer care who will help you troubleshoot the issue.

Wireshark log does not help in this instance. It appears some of the ISP's may not be updating their DNS records properly and causing a slowdown. This is all the information I have received so far. I was just wondering if anyone here had any ideas before we get into logs.. etc.   My question I guess is why would DNS issues cause slowdown with VSD updates because there is no packet loss here.

If your routing to a dns server across the country, and then way back to eset servers on the other side of the country, its going to be slow.

It should route to the closest dns server from your location, and then straight to ESET servers.

Have you tried using Google DNS or Open DNS, or simply calling your isp and requesting the IP of the nearest dns server to your location to be plugged into your router or lan adapter ?

FWIW. I have OpenDNS set in my router since 5-6 years back and it just works and works, and there's no difference in speed if I use my ISP or OpenDNS.

Actually my ISP have a list of DNS IP's on their website so it could be worth looking through the "support" or similar pages on their website to see what you find, if you don't want to call them of course.  :)