Can these files be deleted safely?

akfalk

ESET keeps detecting these 3 files & says they cannot be cleaned. Only offers NO ACTION or DELETE:

When I searched for 'CompuTrace' it says that these files help with updates. IF that is the case then why is ESET saying they are potentially unsafe??  

Also, lately I've been having the JS/myprivacykeeper notification constantly comes up as well.  It happens with Chrome.  But, it doesn't give me the option to delete the file.  If I can find it on my hard drive is it ok to delete the file as well? 

I'm just tired of them popping ALL THE TIME!  Can they be deleted safely or are they actually safe files??

TIA!!

923456599_ESETpopup.thumb.jpg.8719d367d62446016b6dad0147eb20aa.jpg2051292607_ESETIssue.thumb.jpg.c5972a91b9f480f449707e7398c1ff49.jpg

5 hours ago, akfalk said:

When I searched for 'CompuTrace' it says that these files help with updates. IF that is the case then why is ESET saying they are potentially unsafe??  

As far as the Eset CompuTrace detection, refer to this KB article: https://support.eset.com/en/kb6567-you-receive-an-eset-uefi-detection?ref=esf

5 hours ago, akfalk said:

Also, lately I've been having the JS/myprivacykeeper notification constantly comes up as well.  It happens with Chrome.  But, it doesn't give me the option to delete the file. 

Mouse click on the "Clean" button for the Eset shown PUA alert.

In regards to the JS/Myprivacykeeper: When I choose the advanced options it only lets me report it and/or exclude it from detection. Is it safe to exclude it from detection?  I hit clean every time it comes up, but it seems to always come up and gets really annoying.  And, something I found odd is that it happened on our new Microsoft Surface, but it gave me the option to delete. But, on my laptop deleting is never an option. 

1 hour ago, akfalk said:

In regards to the JS/Myprivacykeeper: When I choose the advanced options it only lets me report it and/or exclude it from detection. Is it safe to exclude it from detection? 

No, from all the web articles written about it.

Refer to this: https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/18544-web-protection-for-chrome-browser-hijacker for further details and how to remove it from Chrome. Note: Do not use the Combo Cleaner mentioned in this article to remove this extension. If you can't remove it manually, Malwarebytes (trial mode) with real-time protection disabled should be able to do so.

It appears Eset detects the extension when Chrome starts up and the alert being generated will remove it for the current current browser session only. You need to remove this extension from Chrome to eliminate the Eset alerts.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
12 hours ago, itman said:

No, from all the web articles written about it.

Refer to this: https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/18544-web-protection-for-chrome-browser-hijacker for further details and how to remove it from Chrome. Note: Do not use the Combo Cleaner mentioned in this article to remove this extension. If you can't remove it manually, Malwarebytes (trial mode) with real-time protection disabled should be able to do so.

It appears Eset detects the extension when Chrome starts up and the alert being generated will remove it for the current current browser session only. You need to remove this extension from Chrome to eliminate the Eset alerts.

Maybe I'm being a little stupid but if malwarebytes can remove the full extension why can't eset?

2 hours ago, peteyt said:

Maybe I'm being a little stupid but if malwarebytes can remove the full extension why can't eset?

Review this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/744537/cannot-remove-browser-assistant-even-w-frst-eset-adwcleaner/ .

Toward the end of the article, note the only way to get rid of this bugger extension was to delete the reg. key associated with it. Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and like apps are "tuned" to detect this type of crud-ware and eliminate them. And in some cases, it is necessary to resort to Farber Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) with expert assistance to get rid of the stuff.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, itman said:

Review this article: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/744537/cannot-remove-browser-assistant-even-w-frst-eset-adwcleaner/ .

Toward the end of the article, note the only way to get rid of this bugger extension was to delete the reg. key associated with it. Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and like apps are "tuned" to detect this type of crud-ware and eliminate them. And in some cases, it is necessary to resort to Farber Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) with expert assistance to get rid of the stuff.

But really the question is should Eset be tuned to detect this kind of crud-ware or am I missing something?

Years ago I know AVs focused more on viruses and you had dedicated things for the likes of spyware and so on but now AVs are designed for all kinds of Malware.

Just doesn't sound good if we are having to recommend people use another tool unless as I say I am missing something