Disable PROGRAM UPDATE

I disable PROGRAM UPDATE from update section but application updated (upgraded) to latest version now

I think I encountered this issue in version 14.2.19.0 onwards

Now version 14.2.23.0 Upgrade to version 14.2.24.0 Although PROGRAM UPDATE is Disable!

What is the Problem?

E1.jpg

E2.jpg

E3.jpg

E4.jpg

E5.jpg

I disable application feature updates but version 14.2.23.0 automatic upgrade to 14.2.24.0 .

According to the description: enable automatic feature update to receive all new features and get maximum protection for your computer. This setting has no effect on security and stability updates.

No way to prevent updates to the new version (upgdate to latest version) ?

D1.jpg

Edited by Rose
Add Photo

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rose said:

No way to prevent updates to the new version (upgrate to latest version) ?

D1.jpg

As already explained, security and stability updates are crucial an cannot be avoided. There is no supported way how to disable it.

15 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Como já explicado, as atualizações de segurança e estabilidade são cruciais e não podem ser evitadas. Não há nenhuma maneira apoiada de desabilitá-lo.

Good Morning.
I understand what ROSA said, she doesn't want eset to update to the new version of the program. that's why she showed the print to informs that even disabling it to not update to the new version, it still went to the new version.

If you have the button to not let you update to the new version as its print informs you, why did the program update to the new one? 

Edited by New_Style_xd

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

If you have the button to not let you update to the new version as its print informs you, why did the program update to the new one? 

It was already explained:

image.png

11 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It was already explained:

image.png

Marcos,

From your explanation I understand that there will be some moments that ESET will update anyway because it contains security and stability updates, so it is forced even if the button is checked not to update to the new version.

There will be other cases that will change the version without having anything critical and lack of stability then the user will be able to choose when to install. 

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, New_Style_xd said:

Marcos,

From your explanation I understand that there will be some moments that ESET will update anyway because it contains security and stability updates, so it is forced even if the button is checked not to update to the new version.

There will be other cases that will change the version without having anything critical and lack of stability then the user will be able to choose when to install. 

You are right , when there is a security issue or stability issue , ESET will just force the update to all most probably , but as Marcos said , if it's a feature update it can be delayed , deferred

4 hours ago, Nightowl said:

You are right , when there is a security issue or stability issue , ESET will just force the update to all most probably , but as Marcos said , if it's a feature update it can be delayed , deferred

nightowl good morning,

Taking advantage of the subject, I want to know, since there is an update of the product from eset to another version, do you know, let me know if there is a fixed period of day and month that this update of the new version comes for consumers to update? 

• ESET Insiders

No, there isn't a scheduled release date for patches or feature updates. They're released when they're ready. Even definition/detection engine updates aren't scheduled. While there are typically 6 updates per weekday and usually 4 on weekends, they are not scheduled at any particular time.

• Most Valued Members
On 8/16/2021 at 5:14 PM, New_Style_xd said:

nightowl good morning,

Taking advantage of the subject, I want to know, since there is an update of the product from eset to another version, do you know, let me know if there is a fixed period of day and month that this update of the new version comes for consumers to update? 

Hello ,

I don't work for ESET so I cannot really know these information

• Administrators

I would also add that stability and security updates do not add new features nor change the existing behavior of the program. They differ in the 3rd number in the version number, e.g. 14.2.10, 14.2.19, etc. while feature update differ in the first and second numbers, e.g. 13.0, 14.0, 14.2 etc. Feature updates are not mandatory but highly recommended to install. Only new versions delivered by feature updates may contain new features to better protect you from evolving threats.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

I would also add that stability and security updates do not add new features nor change the existing behavior of the program. They differ in the 3rd number in the version number, e.g. 14.2.10, 14.2.19, etc. while feature update differ in the first and second numbers, e.g. 13.0, 14.0, 14.2 etc. Feature updates are not mandatory but highly recommended to install. Only new versions delivered by feature updates may contain new features to better protect you from evolving threats.

Is there a site explaining better about changes to each number "14.2.24.0"
14?
2?
24?
0?
What does each number listed above what happens and what changes when these numbers change. for consumers to know where it has changed and what has changed? 

Edited by New_Style_xd

• Administrators

1st number - major product version

2nd number - minor product version

Both are feature updates that add or change the functionality of the produc. While feature updates are not mandatory and can be disabled, they are highly recommended.

3rd number - patch version

4rd number - localization version

These two are stability or security updates which cannot be disabled and are mandatory.

• ESET Insiders
9 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1st number - major product version

2nd number - minor product version

Both are feature updates that add or change the functionality of the produc. While feature updates are not mandatory and can be disabled, they are highly recommended.

3rd number - patch version

4rd number - localization version

These two are stability or security updates which cannot be disabled and are mandatory.

As the current version is 14.2.24, if someone had wished to stay at 14.1, would they still have received the .24 patch update and their version would be 14.1.24? or would they have to also receive the .2 minor update?

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, New_Style_xd said:

Is there a site explaining better about changes to each number "14.2.24.0"
14?
2?
24?
0?
What does each number listed above what happens and what changes when these numbers change. for consumers to know where it has changed and what has changed? 

If you mean what has exactly changed, the latest few changelogs are available when visiting the eset site and clicking download e.g. https://www.eset.com/uk/home/internet-security/download there is a changelog showing the last few versions. I'm not sure if there is a changelog anywhere that has the full history of changes. Some sites like wikipedia show the basic changes in each new version e.g. 10 and 11 etc. but haven't been updated in a while and don't show the changes still on that main version e.g. they don't show 10.1, 10.2 etc.  New versions also get posted as an announcement on the forum.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, NewbyUser said:

As the current version is 14.2.24, if someone had wished to stay at 14.1, would they still have received the .24 patch update and their version would be 14.1.24? or would they have to also receive the .2 minor update?

The user would receive 14.1.23 but not the update to v14.2.x.

However, when a particular version reaches EOL (ie. when no support is provided and module updates may be stopped without a prior notice), we will enforce update to the latest version anyways.