In-place upgrade from ESMC to PROTECT on Hyper-V appliance

Hi,

Is there any step I have to take before doing an in-place upgrade from ESMC 7 to PROTECT 8 when is located on a ESET-provided Hyper-V appliance?

The console already displays the update alert but I am not sure if you can do it.

Also: can you upgrade clients to v8 without upgrade the ESMC to PROTECT?

Finally: there would be a problem waiting a little longer before upgrade both? I don't want to be an early adopter. Is the v8 tested enough?

Regards.

Edited by joloriquelme

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, joloriquelme said:

Is there any step I have to take before doing an in-place upgrade from ESMC 7 to PROTECT 8 when is located on a ESET-provided Hyper-V appliance?

There should be no problem with in-place upgrade, i.e. upgrading just ESMC->PROTECT components. There are no changes in prerequisites that are affecting ESMC Appliance environments. Even ESET PROTECT 8.0 uses the same appliance environment, except that operating system components are also updated. But definitely I would recommend to create backup of whole appliance before proceeding with upgrade, but that should be standard...

Also: can you upgrade clients to v8 without upgrade the ESMC to PROTECT?

Yes, you can manage ESET Endpoint products v8 also using ESMC 7.2. There might be just some functionalities that might not work = might not be available. One of them is support for so called uPCU updates, which might be interesting in the future, once such upgrades are actually released.

Finally: there would be a problem waiting a little longer before upgrade both? I don't want to be an early adopter. Is the v8 tested enough?

There won't be any technical problems, especially in case you are using ESMC 7.2 and 7.2 AGENTs (older AGENTs will have issues with future Windows10 updates). Support for older versions is determined by EOL policy, where ESMC 7.2 is to be supported for at least 2 years.