macOS Big Sur Getting an Error "System extension required for Web and Email Protection was not started because of error. Try to restart macOS or reinstall the product"

Durgesh
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Getting an Error "System extension required for Web and Email Protection was not started because of error. Try to restart macOS or reinstall the product". 

This started when I upgraded by Mac to Big Sur. The Cyber Security Version is upgraded to 6.10.400.1. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ESET. Restarting Mac several times. 

I have added the ESET Cyber Security and Real time Protection to Full Disk Access. macOS Big Sur version is 11.0.1 

Is this an expected error which will get fixed in next update or is there a fix for this ?. Any help would be appreciated.  

ESETerr1.png

ESETerr2.png

I am having the exact problem.  I uninstalled and reinstalled to the latest version.  There is no problem until the first reboot then I get the same error as the original poster.  I did submit a tech support request and hopefully they have a fix soon.

hello.

i have no photo of it but i had to go in security & privacy and then not in privacy but in general. if you unlock, you have a window on the bottom right, there you need to allow eset. 

see it ?

I've got the same issue. Everything works after installation/reinstallation until macOS restart. After that I've got 'Your computer is not protected' information and 'web and email' protection is not running.

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, Mato7387383 said:

Shame, shame. How come company like ESET can even afford this amateur approach!

I upgraded to Big Sur, I was left with unusalbe firewall. I paid for a functioning product, not this joke.

We issued a warning one month ago and openly communicated that ESET CyberSecurity / Pro will not fully support Big Sur at the time of the release due to big changes made to the operating system requiring kernel extentions to be replaced with system extensions:

https://support.eset.com/en/news7604-eset-support-of-macos-11-big-sur

If you take a look at other AV products, many of them are yet to come with a Big Sur compliant version of their products. ESET plans to introduce a version with firewall support for Big Sur soon.

27 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We issued a warning one month ago and openly communicated that ESET CyberSecurity / Pro will not fully support Big Sur at the time of the release due to big changes made to the operating system requiring kernel extentions to be replaced with system extensions:

If you take a look at other AV products, many of them are yet to come with a Big Sur compliant version of their products. ESET plans to introduce a version with firewall support for Big Sur soon.

Marcus, thank you for your response. But excuse me, where did you issue a warning? On that forum?

A am a user, I am not keeping an eye on technical forums of all my applications all day long. Eset application itself showed me no warning at all. If it did, I would not upgrade to Big Sur.

33 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Also thank you for explaing me current situation with other AV products. However, I pay for Eset, not other AVs so this information not relevant for me.

Would you kindly tell me an expected time, when the firewall is going to work?

Thank you and have a nice day.

I too am disappointed that ESET does not work with MacOS Big Sur. Is my only option to just wait a month for a possible fix and in the meantime just hope that I don't have a problem - or switch to another virus protection vendor? Yikes!

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, SeBr said:

I too am disappointed that ESET does not work with MacOS Big Sur. Is my only option to just wait a month for a possible fix and in the meantime just hope that I don't have a problem - or switch to another virus protection vendor? Yikes!

1 hour ago, Scott1273 said:

It's not like Apple to all of a sudden update an OS.  Eset should have had plenty of time to update their product to be Big Sur compatible.  No excuses!. 

I'm not an employer of Eset or even an Apple user but if you Google Mac Sur AV you'll see a few AVs have the same issue, apparently due to a lot being changed. 

Eset had also been trying to work on a beta for a while I belive but they didn't have access to the final build which delayed things.

4 hours ago, Mato7387383 said:

Marcus, thank you for your response. But excuse me, where did you issue a warning? On that forum?

A am a user, I am not keeping an eye on technical forums of all my applications all day long. Eset application itself showed me no warning at all. If it did, I would not upgrade to Big Sur.

This isn't ESET's fault, it's Apple's.  They are well-known for releasing updates with huge breaking changes without telling developers.  One of many, many problems with that company's culture.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, peteyt said:

Eset had also been trying to work on a beta for a while I belive but they didn't have access to the final build which delayed things.

To put this right, we started to work on migration from kernel to system extensions as soon as technical details were introduced by Apple a couple of months ago. However, since this change was tremendous, it was a big challenge for all AV makers to come up with a compatible version at the time of the release of Big Sur. The fact that other AV makers had the same issues is not an excuse but it shows that it was a daunting task for all.

• Administrators
  • Solution

Do you have the ESET Network Proxy in connected state in the Network setup? Is the server address set to localhost?

image.png

17 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Do you have the ESET Network Proxy in connected state in the Network setup? Is the server address set to localhost?

image.png

Hi Marcos, I don't have ESET Network Proxy Connected.  After your comment, I do realise that once i connect ESET Network proxy it removes the error and solves the issue. But I am not quite comfortable with all my browsing data going through VPN for antivirus protection. I hope next update will resolve this issue and provide a proper solution. Thank you for your help. 

image.png

Edited by Durgesh

3 hours ago, Durgesh said:

Hi Marcos, I don't have ESET Network Proxy Connected.  After your comment, I do realise that once i connect ESET Network proxy it removes the error and solves the issue. But I am not quite comfortable with all my browsing data going through VPN for antivirus protection. I hope next update will resolve this issue and provide a proper solution. Thank you for your help. 

image.png

Yeah me too! Not only our data can be monitored and harvested unknowingly, this setup also slows down my internet connection speed during download by huge margins.

Not good enough ESET, not good enough.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, khalis711 said:

Yeah me too! Not only our data can be monitored and harvested unknowingly, this setup also slows down my internet connection speed during download by huge margins.

You have already posted here so we kindly ask you to refrain from creating duplicate posts: https://forum.eset.com/topic/26288-eset-network-protection-proxy-is-in-the-network-settings/

• Former ESET Employees

@khalis711, I'd kindly ask you to elaborate more regarding following problem: "this setup also slows down my internet connection speed during download by huge margins."

Can you please, for example, do a speedtest on https://www.speedtest.net/ with Proxy disconnected and with connected and paste here a screenshots? Or any other way how can we understand those huge margins? 

We do scan http network traffic for malware. As you explicitly allowing us as a Proxy, we can discuss if it's unknowingly or not. This is however a way how every anti malware solution have to work on Big Sur if he wants to scan network traffic for malware. Of course, you can disable Web Access Protection in settings and disable Proxy to feel saver. We can assure you, we do not have other interest than keeping you save by looking for malware. We do not sell personal information or gather private details about our users other than necessary to protect you in a better way. 

Hello Marcos,

I'm a IPvanish VPN paid user, will this change my security features since now I'm now unexpectedly connected to another VPN client (ESET Cyber Security Pro) in order to to keep my Mac secure, can you please shed some light as to the ramifications of connecting my existing VPN client and using ESET Cyber Security Pro on Big Sur.

Should I cease to use my existing VPN?