"ESET Network Protection Proxy" is in the Network settings

ucchi

Do you know what "ESET Network Protection Proxy" is in the Network settings?

Localhost is set as the server address.

The environment is ESET 6.10.400.1 / macOS 11.0.1.

• Administrators

This is because of the move from kernel extensions to system extensions in Big Sur. It is important that the proxy be connected and the server address set to localhost in order for Web and email protection to work.

image.png

• Administrators

All antivirus scanners that are compatible with Big Sur must work as local proxies in order to filter network communication. Even before Big Sur http communication was routed through a local proxy. If you don't want ESET or another AV to filter the network communication, disable the firewall and web/email protection (not recommended). Of course, the fact that antivirus scans files or filters network communication does not mean it's spying on you. Network communication is filtered locally and is not router further to ESET's servers.

How can this be disabled so I don't get the question for proxy when installing, and without getting any annoying warnings afterwards?

We are using VPN connections a lot at work, and this is not working well (not working at all) together with that :o

• Administrators
4 hours ago, AndreK said:

How can this be disabled so I don't get the question for proxy when installing, and without getting any annoying warnings afterwards?

Do you want to keep ESET CyberSecurity without Web and email protection then?

On 11/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, Marcos said:

Do you want to keep ESET CyberSecurity without Web and email protection then?

I have same question, how to keep Cyber Security running but disable web and email protection permanently on Big Sur? I tried it, however ESET continues to try and install the proxy/VPN profile with my Mac trying to connect.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, jinlei801011 said:

I have same question, how to keep Cyber Security running but disable web and email protection permanently on Big Sur? I tried it, however ESET continues to try and install the proxy/VPN profile with my Mac trying to connect.

Unfortunately only business Endpoint products support component installation and allow Web and email protection not to be installed.

How can I install without getting warnings that the system is not protected, and without being asked to add proxy. If I disable mail/web protection?

Have business endpoint antivirus here, and create installer/profile from the cloud admin.

The next problem with the new proxy setting from Eset is, that it slows down the internet connection (from former about 900 kb/sec to about 180 kb/sec) and that's not funny that's a big bug in my opinion and not an option. So please fix this or Eset will no more be the security software of first choice in the next month.

Edited by AlexAl
Wrong word

• Administrators
9 hours ago, AlexAl said:

The next problem with the new proxy setting from Eset is, that it slows down the internet connection (from former about 900 kb/sec to about 180 kb/sec) and that's not funny that's a big bug in my opinion and not an option. So please fix this or Eset will no more be the security software of first choice in the next month.

Yes, this sounds like a bug, clash or whatever and should be investigated. However, so far no other user has reported such issue. Please open a ticket with your local ESET support and provide:
- logs collected with the log collector (https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404)
- 2 Wireshark logs, one with ESET and proxy connected when the issue occurs and another one when the proxy is disconnected or ESET is not installed and the issue doesn't occur. The best would be to make the test by downloading the very same bigger file so that the outcome logs could be easily compared.

I have the similar issue on 6.10.460.1 build - YouTube is not playing videos on one laptop (never-ending spinning wheel on ANY video).  The only solution which helped me so far is to disconnect ESET Network Protection Proxy from Network Settings and then video starts playing (Proxy automatically reconnects immediately back).

This happens on only one laptop - others don't have such issue (although, they running 6.10.400.1 build, not sure, whether it is caused by the latest ESET build). MacOS version is Big Sur on all of them.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Alexander17 said:

I have the similar issue on 6.10.460.1 build - YouTube is not playing videos on one laptop (never-ending spinning wheel on ANY video).  The only solution which helped me so far is to disconnect ESET Network Protection Proxy from Network Settings and then video starts playing (Proxy automatically reconnects immediately back).

This happens on only one laptop - others don't have such issue (although, they running 6.10.400.1 build, not sure, whether it is caused by the latest ESET build). MacOS version is Big Sur on all of them.

First of all make sure that you have only port 80 and 8080 or 3128 listed in the list of scanned ports. Port 443 should not be in the list. If that's not the case, please collect logs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 and open a ticket with your local ESET support.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, was having trouble getting the promised internet speed from my ISP, turned out the ESET proxy seemed to half my download speed! Disabled web/mail protection for now. 

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Erik N said:

Hi, was having trouble getting the promised internet speed from my ISP, turned out the ESET proxy seemed to half my download speed! Disabled web/mail protection for now. 

Please collect logs as per the instructions above and open a ticket with your local ESET support.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, Erik N said:

Same here....

• 2 weeks later...

Someone please advise Marcos that we're not ESET software testers, we're final costumers that paid for a ready product. I tried to tell him but I felt he didn't listen.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some users that when "ESET Network Protection Proxy" is active is  blocking access to some services line icloud email, onedrive , etc , disabling "ESET Network Protection Proxy" solved the issue.

Any idea why is this happening?

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, denisvjcr said:

I have some users that when "ESET Network Protection Proxy" is active is  blocking access to some services line icloud email, onedrive , etc , disabling "ESET Network Protection Proxy" solved the issue.

Any idea why is this happening?

Please check and make sure that 443 is not listed in the list of ports that are scanned. If that's not the case, please collect logs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 and open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please check and make sure that 443 is not listed in the list of ports that are scanned. If that's not the case, please collect logs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 and open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

Thanks Marcos for your response , two question :

1. I contacted support in our region and they told me that we have to add the server proxy IP to the apple policy , in tools - server proxy , we are now testing this.

2. In which part of the policy for Apple devices can I check about the 443 port ?

• 2 weeks later...

Any news related to the network speed issues?

Facing the issues with Big Sur 11.2.1 and Cyber Security (for Mac) 610.460.1

200Mbps download with the Eset Proxy connected, 450Mbps when disconnected according to speedtest.net.