VPN needed...

yeoldfart
Go to solution Solved by peteyt,

• ESET Insiders

Hello ! I hope not to be out of tune with this one that comes following the release of bitdefender VPN @ an aggressive price (2.50 €/month).

Do tyou plan or intend to take the same move ?

Thank you

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Currently ESET does not provide a VPN solution.

Maybe I'm reading into your statement but does it mean eset possibly could include one in the future or is considering one etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

I don't think providing a VPN is anything else than a marketing point that would change the business plan of ESET for the worst.

VPN prviders promise better security, but a VPN doesn't quiet protect people on the web. It's just a proxy for watching Netflix from another country or bypassing a ban on some site… or downloading pirate software without your provider knowing.

I think it's better if ESET kept its actual goal: real security.

• Most Valued Members
  • Solution
2 hours ago, Jahus said:

I don't think providing a VPN is anything else than a marketing point that would change the business plan of ESET for the worst.

VPN prviders promise better security, but a VPN doesn't quiet protect people on the web. It's just a proxy for watching Netflix from another country or bypassing a ban on some site… or downloading pirate software without your provider knowing.

I think it's better if ESET kept its actual goal: real security.

I do generally agree with you, usage wise. However it's important to note how important VPNs can be for people like journalists and similar things, especially for those in countries where freedom of speech is often squashed. Privacy is a big selling point of VPNs.

A lot of AVs/security suites are going down the VPN route. I think that if eset did do this, maybe adding it to the premium version would make the most sense, the premium version basically being the version with the extras, that way those just wanting the main security side of stuff wouldn't be forced to pay extra.

• Most Valued Members
On 10/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, yeoldfart said:

Hello ! I hope not to be out of tune with this one that comes following the release of bitdefender VPN @ an aggressive price (2.50 €/month).

Do tyou plan or intend to take the same move ?

Thank you

Should note that BitDefender VPN is based of Hotspot Shield which has had some controversy in the past