ESET Management will not install on Mac Catalina

Hello

I am attempting to install the ESET Management Agent on a Mac v. 10.15.6. I have attempted several times and wiped/reinstalled the OS several times and still keep hitting an error. Not much could be found on the internet either. 

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.2 (7.2.1278.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.2 (7.2.230.0)

from the install command

/Users/superman/Downloads/ESMCAgentInstaller.sh ; exit;

ESET Management Agent live installer script. Copyright © 1992-2020 ESET, spol. s r.o. - All rights reserved.

* Hostname: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

* Port: 2222

* Installer: hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v7/7.2.3261.0/agent_macosx_x86_64.dmg

Downloading installer image 'hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v7/7.2.3261.0/agent_macosx_x86_64.dmg':

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

100 41.6M  100 41.6M    0     0  4905k      0  0:00:08  0:00:08 --:--:-- 6023k

Checking integrity of of downloaded package /tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.G1UTb62h: OK

Mounting image '/tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.G1UTb62h':

Password:

Checksumming Protective Master Boot Record (MBR : 0)…

Protective Master Boot Record (MBR :: verified   CRC32 $D9F87118

Checksumming GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1)…

GPT Header (Primary GPT Header : 1): verified   CRC32 $69571CD3

Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Table : 2)…

GPT Partition Data (Primary GPT Tabl: verified   CRC32 $D7122ADD

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 3)…

(Apple_Free : 3): verified   CRC32 $00000000

Checksumming disk image (Apple_HFS : 4)…

disk image (Apple_HFS : 4): verified   CRC32 $20E4C25C

Checksumming  (Apple_Free : 5)…

(Apple_Free : 5): verified   CRC32 $00000000

Checksumming GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table : 6)…

GPT Partition Data (Backup GPT Table: verified   CRC32 $D7122ADD

Checksumming GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 7)…

GPT Header (Backup GPT Header : 7): verified   CRC32 $B580693D

verified   CRC32 $92EFA1D6

/dev/disk2          GUID_partition_scheme          

/dev/disk2s1        Apple_HFS                      /private/tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.3Se9o4WQ

Installing package '/tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.3Se9o4WQ/Agent-MacOSX-x86_64.pkg':

installer: Package name is ESET Management Agent

installer: Installing at base path /

installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An error occurred while running scripts from the package “Agent-MacOSX-x86_64.pkg”.)

Cleaning up:

"disk2" ejected.

[Process completed]

from the EraAgentInstaller.log

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Initialized logging to /tmp/erainstall.log

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Output redirected to /tmp/erainstall.log

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Created temporary directory /tmp/erainstall

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Package path is ''

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Default location is ''

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Target volume is ''

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Removed temporary directory /tmp/erainstall

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Output redirection terminated

2020-Sep-02 09:53:45 Information: installationcheck: Moving installation log '/tmp/erainstall.log' to '/Users/superman/Library/Logs/Eset/RemoteAdministrator/EraAgentInstaller.log'

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: *******************************************

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Initialized log file: /Users/superman/Library/Logs/Eset/RemoteAdministrator/EraAgentInstaller.log

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Creating directories...

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Created 'config' directory: /Library/Application Support/com.eset.remoteadministrator.agent/

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Created 'data' directory: /Library/Application Support/com.eset.remoteadministrator.agent//

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Created 'logs' directory: /Library/Application Support/com.eset.remoteadministrator.agent//Logs/

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Created 'libs' directory: /Applications/ESET Remote Administrator Agent.app//Contents/MacOS/

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Starting install sequence.

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Checking installed version ...

/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.GUNiqL/Scripts/com.eset.remoteadministrator.agent.aW2hkB/postinstall: line 555: /Applications/ESET Remote Administrator Agent.app//Contents/Helpers/CustomActions: Argument list too long

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: /tmp/PKInstallSandbox.GUNiqL/Scripts/com.eset.remoteadministrator.agent.aW2hkB/postinstall: 620: Error '126' occured while checking installed version

2020-09-02 09:53:47.N Information: Installer: Performing installation rollback

Any assistance is appreciated

Thanks, Bill

Hello Marcos
this is the only place I see base64 

if test -n "$eraa_peer_cert_pwd"
then
  echo "  <key>PeerCertPassword</key><string>$eraa_peer_cert_pwd</string>" >> "$local_params_file"
  echo "  <key>PeerCertPasswordIsBase64</key><string>yes</string>" >> "$local_params_file"
fi

I found b64 in a few places as well but not in the section following "eraa_policy_data=".

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately from logs it is not clear what is wrong, but there are two most common issues we encountered previously:

• one of parameters (specific to your environment) is too large. One of such parameters is configuration policy that @Marcos was asking. I would recommend to check whether there is any suspicious and long value present in script, especially in initialization part
  • one of parameters might contain reserved characters that could possibly break installation itself. For example are there any non-standard characters in parameters in initialization section of script? For example passwords that might contain special characters? Or any other parameter containing for example " (quotes) or simillar?

Hello Martin
Thanks again for your quick responses. I am going through the script and I am not seeing anything. I do see that a majority of the script seems to be encrypted though. I was hoping maybe you take a look at the script and tell me if you see anything. The password does not have any special characters. I am installing by right clicking and "run with" > terminal. I add the password after the download completes. I have been installing the same way for all of my Macs and this is the first time I hit an issue. I am wiping another Mac now and will test on that one once it is done. I am doing this incase there is a problem with the Mac Minor update that recently went through. Was hoping that would give me an answer to that.

ESMCAgentInstaller.rar

Edited by Marcos
Script moved to a file to save space

So I found that if leave the default server to connect to as the fqdn it works. If I add an Ip address so systems outside of the network can connect it fails. 

So for now I have them connecting to the FQDN and a policy will change to the IP address for external connections

Edited by Bill_Pacific

• ESET Staff
24 minutes ago, Bill_Pacific said:

Hello Martin and Marcos
I have tested on a different system (same OS) and came up with the same errors. Not sure if I am setting something up wrong like the Mac or the script?

Actually it is the problem that Marcos asked you to check ... check for eraa_policy_data= in data you posted. You will see that value is huge. Please remove it, si that there is only eraa_policy_data=, i.e. value stored into variable is empty.

Also I would recommend to remove your post with installer content, it might contains sensitive data of your ESMC environment.

• ESET Staff

Also note that this policy which breaks installer is embedded into installer automatically when you select some "Initial static group" when generating installer. So leaving it empty would probably resolve issue once installer is re-generated, but AGENTs will be shown in Lost & Found group as this is default.

So just removing the pointer to a "Initial static group" and the install goes through. Thanks again for all of your help. Issue has been resolved. 

Is this something the developers are looking at? Pointing to a specific static group is helpful for some functions.  

• ESET Staff
20 hours ago, Bill_Pacific said:

So just removing the pointer to a "Initial static group" and the install goes through. Thanks again for all of your help. Issue has been resolved. 

Is this something the developers are looking at? Pointing to a specific static group is helpful for some functions.  

This issue was resolved recently (for upcoming major releases) so there should be no longer problem with large configuration policies embedded into installers.