No answer from support, abnormal behavior from Moderators

• ESET Moderators

Hello @greatis,

please see the forum rules at https://forum.eset.com/howtopost/ 

"This forum does not serve as a channel for requesting website re-check or disputing blocks or detections."

The response from the research lab is not guaranteed, the researchers usually reply if they need further data regarding the sample(s) reported, which was not this case.

The application was carefully analyzed and turned out to meet criteria of potentially unwanted applications which is an optional detection so the user need to enable it, if he want to have such apps detected.

Peter

The good AV labs reply to the requests.

ESET is only one from 63 who puts requests right directly to the recycle bin.

17 minutes ago, greatis said:

Hi itman!

Thank you very much!

That's great news for me!

Just checked again on VT and Eset and Rising are detecting UnHackme as a PUA.

Looks like my previous check was a VT "anomaly."

😞

But I hope it is a good sign.

May be someone from the ESET lab will take a look at our case.

UnHackMe works since 2005 and never detected by ESET before July 3.

• Most Valued Members

Add it to exclusions it will not be detected after that.

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, greatis said:

I am author of the program. 

Ah that's different problem then, I thought that might help in your case.

Probably ESET has it's own reasons to detect it as a PUA , after that you might be able to remove these things inorder to be able to get it removed from PUA classification , but it needs ESET support to give reason for block.

Usually these things are toolbars or data collection or some kind of fluffy actions the program might be coded to do.

Edited by Nightowl

Unfortunately I don't know what are the specific reasons.

I know the ESET begin detection after publication on AppEasteem.
I release the updated version and the claims were removed.
But I did not receive any feedback from ESET.

11 minutes ago, greatis said:

I know the ESET begin detection after publication on AppEasteem.
I release the updated version and the claims were removed.

UnHackMe is not certified on AppEsteem. Solution - get certified.

Ref.: https://customer.appesteem.com/home/checklist

3 minutes ago, greatis said:

Take a look at the list of AppEsteem certified companies and you will find many interesting.

The issue here is not the debate the reputation and methods employed by AppEsteem. It appears Eset doesn't share these same concerns since they are employing their service for software reputation purposes.

Your argument lies with AppEsteem; not with Eset.

Yes. This is my question.

I contacted ESET and would like to get an answer from ESET and ready to fix any issues if they exist.

Edited by greatis

21 minutes ago, greatis said:

I contacted ESET and would like to get an answer from ESET

UnHackMe is not listed on AppEsteem's Deceptor list unless it runs under a different name: https://customer.appesteem.com/deceptors

Perhaps Eset doesn't care for what is in your EULA:

(g) Data collection.

You agree that Greatis Software collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including Internet Protocol Address), operating system, email address, application usage and error reports that may be gathered to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. IF YOU DO NOT WANT Greatis Software TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.

https://greatis.com/unhackme/eula.htm

Edited by itman

49 minutes ago, greatis said:

It is in Resolved.

Yes. I found it after enabling Resolved cases. It was submitted to AppEsteem on 6/20/2020 and resolved on 7/5/2020.

49 minutes ago, greatis said:

Inspect Eset privacy policy:

Eset within their products gives the user options to opt-out of some or all the telemetry and detection data they collect.

Bottom line - you can rant to "your heart's content" in this forum and it won't change a thing in regards to Eset's decision on UnHackMe. The only way to do so is to employ proper channels.

Edited by itman

It should also be noted that the above referenced VT link that Eset and Rising detect as a PUA is in reference to the unhackme.zip download.

That .zip file contains the UnHackMe installer, unhackme_setup.exe, that is detected by Avast, AVG, Eset, Rising, and Sangfor at VT: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/bf51b737b14bc72fb819f2e79f5a8da870848cbb9add1c95f6d26d62cf2551fd/detection . Sangfor detects it as malware.

-EDIT- Also the Tencent detailed behavior analysis at VT shows a screen scraper being installed and never uninstalled.

Edited by itman

12 hours ago, itman said:

It should also be noted that the above referenced VT link that Eset and Rising detect as a PUA is in reference Tutuapp to the unhackme.zip download.

That .zip file contains the UnHackMe installer, unhackme_setup.exe, that is detected by Avast, AVG, Eset, and Sanfore at VT: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/bf51b737b14bc72fb819f2e79f5a8da870848cbb9add1c95f6d26d62cf2551fd/detection . Sanfore detects it as malware.

hey, thanks for this guide.