Update issues

Go to solution Solved by Janus,

Suddenly, I started to have some update issues with my Eset Smart Security 6.0.316.0 . The errors I come accross is , Error extracting file and Undocumented serious error (0x%04x) and update information is not consistent

I tried clearing the cache from update settings, I checked for temp folders, and I even cleared inside c:\windows\temp. But no luck, it stuck with 8367 update.

So I didn't really wanted to try reinstalling Eset but I just hope there is an easier solution.

I am using windows 8 64 bit

Edited by busekes

• Solution

Hey !

You can try this. This is a new feature Eset introduced with version 6x. It's called Update rollback. It will rollback the virus signature database to a previous version. All you have to do is to open advanced setup tree(f5) go to Update and down to Advance and do a rollback. Then reboot your machine, it should update automaticly. See if this helps.

Regards, Janus

post-65-0-68201400-1369500081_thumb.png

Has never noticed the roolback feature before, nice post Janus

Hey, thanks for the kind words, maybe it could be possible to create a Knowledge Base article for this Rollback feature for Home-users. As to my knowledge, there is an article about this feature, but only in the Business section. Is it possible to create one for Home-Uses?

Cheers, Janus :-))

Hello,

I have contacted ESET's knowledgebase base writers about getting a KB article written on this.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks Aryeh! :-))

Regards, Janus

I tried using the rollback and it still doesn't update.

Hey Timothy Lau

Okay, It is always best to start with the simplest things first:Begin with this Knowledge Base article: Error downloading file and cannot update virus signature database in ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus (6.x) If you still can't update, then try to see if you have a connection to the update server. How to do that see this article ,and scroll down to point 7 in the article which describes how to ping a server: Troubleshooting for "Virus signature database update failed" message. And lastly,if none of the above is working, then try to do a clean uninstall by using Eset uninstaller tool, and reinstall to see if it will solve your issue: How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product? I know it was a lot of articles, but give it a try.

Have a nice day, regards Janus :-)

Edited by Janus

• Administrators

I'd suggest carrying on as follows:

1, uninstall ESS using the Uninstall tool

2, empty the system temporary folder (c:\windows\temp by default)

3, make sure the folder C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security doesn't exist or delete it otherwise

4, install ESS v6.0.316 from scratch

• ESET Moderators

We have published a Knowledgebase article for the home version of the rollback virus signature database updates feature.

How do I rollback virus signature database updates on ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (6.x)

Has never noticed the roolback feature before, nice post Janus

Hey, thanks for the kind words, maybe it could be possible to create a Knowledge Base article for this Rollback feature for Home-users. As to my knowledge, there is an article about this feature, but only in the Business section. Is it possible to create one for Home-Uses?

Cheers, Janus :-))

Hello

Thanks Eset/foneil, tried the new article step by step and it was very easy to understand and work with. Solid work as always. There is quite a number of articles in the knowledge base now, we are coming closer to an Encyclopedia volume 1,....... just joking. =))

Regards, Janus.

• 2 months later...

Hi, i got an error "virus signature database update ended with an error!" and "product update ended with an error!" whould you please tell me what ca i do ?

thanks, 

sasan

Hi, i got an error "virus signature database update ended with an error!" and "product update ended with an error!" whould you please tell me what ca i do ?

thanks, 

sasan

Hi there :)

The Virus signature update error can happen when the product tries to download VSDs (virus signature database) before an internet connection is fully established, like right after a computer start up for example. Do you still get the error, or have any newer VSD version been downloaded after you saw the error?

Edited by SweX

• 2 months later...

hey there, im using ESET smart security 6!
my virus signature database updates are working well!
but when i try to update my product it says "product update ended with an error!"

i've downloaded my product update but when installing it, i got this installation configuration window and it disappears!
and then ESET shows the message "product update ended with an error!"

what should i do?