Another threat removed by ESET on a perfectly legit website

And Eset saves me from another problem. Threat confirmed by the website once I contacted them.

My thanks for making my money worth the investment.

20190412_144005.jpg

• Most Valued Members
16 hours ago, PassingBy said:

And Eset saves me from another problem. Threat confirmed by the website once I contacted them.

My thanks for making my money worth the investment.

20190412_144005.jpg

This goes to further show that people who say they don't need an AV are kidding themselves. Don't get me wrong, sticking to trusted sites/trusted programs is a good way to stay secure but you still need an AV. Many legit programs for example have been hacked and used to infect users.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:43 PM, peteyt said:

This goes to further show that people who say they don't need an AV are kidding themselves. Don't get me wrong, sticking to trusted sites/trusted programs is a good way to stay secure but you still need an AV. Many legit programs for example have been hacked and used to infect users.

I fully agree. As to the programs, i had to phase out CCleaner...even though no AV spotted issues. I am also becoming wary of "driver updaters". Iobit for example. I use it, but while most times the drivers it asks me to update can be updated from "Device Manager" simply clicking on the update option of the relevant file, at times Iobit driver updater spots "updates" that i can't see from device manager. I wonder where those come from and who manages them.

Edited by PassingBy

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, PassingBy said:

I fully agree. As to the programs, i had to phase out CCleaner...even though no AV spotted issues. I am also becoming wary of "driver updaters". Iobit for example. I use it, but while most times the drivers it asks me to update can be updated from "Device Manager" simply clicking on the update option of the relevant file, at times Iobit driver updater spots "updates" that i can't see from device manager. I wonder where those come from and who manages them.

A lot of the driver update programs tend to fall under potentially unwanted programs. They often contain unwanted stuff and can nag you a lot to upgrade if you are using their free version. Many may actually cause more harm then good. I have myself used some driver update programs before, used to use slimdrivers but it seemed a bit risky. Just use intel driver assistant now.

As for ccleaner i still use it and seems safe. However it was quite odd because at the time of the issue Avast had bought or was buying it. 

Lately its been Asus that has had a similar incident. This also shows the dangers that can occur with AVs that use white listing. 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:54 PM, itman said:

Also, note that if you're "bombarded" with JS/Kryptik Eset alerts as here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/19203-kryptikbjg-trojen-infection/ , you're probably under a Packet Flood attack.

Thanks for adding up on this. The website confirmed they sustained an attack. The website was this one https://www.geopolitica.info/