Cannot install 7.0.2073.1

TheSkymanDC

When attempting to install 7.0.2073.1 I get a failure "There is a pending reboot on the target".  Further investigation show there indeed an PendingFileRename in the registry. (See attached)

The file is an HP printer configuration XML file that gets created each time I boot the machine.  I have tried deleting the file and the registry entry to no avail.   I have yet to figure out what is creating it or why.

My question is why does ESET care about an HP configuration file?  Shouldn't it just be ignored?

Any help would be appreciated.

PendingFileRename.png

• Administrators

I assume that a pending reboot is indicated by the presence of the InProgress value under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer and it's Windows Installer which writes it there and checks it upon installation of software.

In this case I believe that pending reboot is indicated by the presence of PendingFileRenamOperations.  When I delete this key I can successfully install ESET. 

We have seen several cases where programs have left or constantly create this key preventing installation.

Since they are not Windows OS related why should ESET care.  This is causing a lot of un-necessary work for us.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

Mentioned installation parameters bypasses only check made by AGENT, but there is still possibility that OS is really in pending reboot state which is blocking installation. Does rebooting client machine helps? How does the error look like? In case installation actually started, there will be installation log (software-install.log) present in AGENT program data directory.

I have the same problem!  I do not have and InProgress entry in the registry and I've also added the installation parameter.  Now I just get a Task Failed, try to install software manually message.  

Have rebooted the computer multiple times, used the Uninstaller tool, removed from the management console and still have the same issue.  The Agent installs just fine.  The AV client will not install. 

Does anyone have any other ideas to try besides a manual install?  Just wanted to check.  Thanks so much!!

Update:  I got it to finally install!!  Yippee!!  The Logitech Webcam software was causing the issue!  I uninstalled the webcam software and now the Eset AV software is installed!!  

Hopefully that can help someone else with the same problem!  

13 hours ago, MartinK said:

Mentioned installation parameters bypasses only check made by AGENT, but there is still possibility that OS is really in pending reboot state which is blocking installation. Does rebooting client machine helps? How does the error look like? In case installation actually started, there will be installation log (software-install.log) present in AGENT program data directory.

Rebooting client does not help. In task history, trace message says:

Detected pending reboot at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

This message is on all machines I want to update. (Win 7,8,10)