Eset.temp File Very Large

Hello,

It was reported to me by one of our sys admins that we have had 2 computers with an eset.temp file that was 30gb and larger. Unfortunately he deleted it before allowing me to see it and be able to collect more knowledge, so I was curious if anyone had any more information on this file. How is it generated? What is it? Are there issues with deleting it?

• Administrators

What is the name of the file? Such large files are usually generated by video streaming when the stream is not recognized.

I'll need to acquire a new sample. I will open a new thread when it comes back. I have only been alerted to 2 users who had this issue, and the sysadmin deleted it without giving me time to research.

The only eset.temp file I am aware of is located in the %LocalAppData%\Temp as shown in the below screenshot. It is classified as an OS file so the Win Explorer "Hide OS files" option must be temporarily disabled for the directory to view the file. On my installation the directory is empty except for two subdirectory entries. Appears it is only used at Eset installation time.

Eset_Temp.thumb.png.14d06dd700db1e5fce888c1ea5425da0.png