ESET Service High CPU Usage on Windows 8.1

jkehlet

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, ESET Service started behaving oddly, very high CPU usage.

I uninstalled completely (v6.x), and have now installed the latest v7.0.302.26.

But the CPU usage is still high, here is a line from the Task Manager:

ESET Service (32 bit)         31.2%       81.6 MB      0 MB/s      -0.1 Mbps

On another note:  The 64-bit version still uses a 32-bit version of the ESET Service, really?!

PS.  And no, temporarily disabling protection does NOT reduce the CPU usage...

post-2473-0-84406500-1386613072_thumb.jpg

Edited by jkehlet

• Administrators

Is the number of scanned files rising in the statistics? Does disabling real-time protection or any other protection module make a difference?

I have a similar problem on my Windows 7 machine. Even if I disable protection the CPU remains around 13-15% usage for the ekrn.exe process.

Update: I reinstalled without the Live Grid, hoping this might be the culprit.

Edited by switang

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

It might be the first scan after installation.

Is the CPU consumption dropping after a while or not?

Disabling the Live Grid is not very good option as far as it can increase system performance over time by whitelisting files as it increases protection as well.

I do not believe it was the running the first scan as I had to stop that manually after the first few hours.

The CPU consumption did not drop after a period of time.

I'll turn the Live Grid back on and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Here is my problem, my CPU running on 99% all the time... I dont know what is it but:

S̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶n̶  no

A̶u̶t̶o̶m̶a̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶u̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶  no

V̶i̶r̶u̶s̶e̶s̶  no

i dont know what it can be

post-3079-0-11127500-1393401992_thumb.png

Basically you need to run the update software and update and then it just lowers i always wondered myself why it does this.

Edited by Chad

Basically you need to run the update software and update and then it just lowers i always wondered myself why it does this.

Are you talking about the VSD updates ? "good." says he have them disabled.

Edited by SweX

• 2 years later...

I got this working after I disabled 3 schedulers which used to scan on system boot / start-up and would hamper the system performance even with my 3rd gen i5 and 16 GB DDR3 HyperX fury RAM!!!

I have attached the screen with the required steps, hope this helps.Peace!

Thanks and Regards,

Tanmay.

post-13512-0-62918900-1472275350_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Disabling startup scan tasks is not recommended; it's one of crucial protection layers. Startup scans should normally run unnoticed in the background and should not take more than a few seconds (usually less than 1-2s I'd say). Let's try downloading the CloudCar test file and make sure it's detected as Suspicious object: hxxp://amtso.security-features-check.com/cloudcar.exe. With LiveGrid not working, scans would take longer.

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2016 at 8:04 AM, Marcos said:

Disabling startup scan tasks is not recommended; it's one of crucial protection layers. Startup scans should normally run unnoticed in the background and should not take more than a few seconds (usually less than 1-2s I'd say). Let's try downloading the CloudCar test file and make sure it's detected as Suspicious object: hxxp://amtso.security-features-check.com/cloudcar.exe. With LiveGrid not working, scans would take longer.

I have the same problem ..cpu usage over 90% . I tried your link above but eset took it as a malware and it doesnt let the laptop to execute it.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, emma.aria said:

I have the same problem ..cpu usage over 90% . I tried your link above but eset took it as a malware and it doesnt let the laptop to execute it.

It is expected behavior that CloudCar is detected. It means that communication with LiveGrid servers works alright.

As for the high cpu utilization, please create a Procmon log as per https://support.eset.com/kb6308. Let it capture at least 2-3 minutes during which cpu is heavily utilized by ekrn.exe. When done, compress the pml log and upload it to a safe location. Then also collect logs with ELC and provide me with both files or download links to the files.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:49 AM, Marcos said:

It is expected behavior that CloudCar is detected. It means that communication with LiveGrid servers works alright.

As for the high cpu utilization, please create a Procmon log as per https://support.eset.com/kb6308. Let it capture at least 2-3 minutes during which cpu is heavily utilized by ekrn.exe. When done, compress the pml log and upload it to a safe location. Then also collect logs with ELC and provide me with both files or download links to the files.

mission is done sir but I can't attach it here cause these two files are more than 10 MB.  the ess log is by itself 43MB although it is zip. 

you may please let me know if there is any other way by which I can send them to you