Will ESET NOD32 version 10 auto-update to version 11...

Samoréen

• ESET Insiders

It will most likely auto upgrade, but it usually takes some months before they start the auto upgrade. 

I think they want to be extremely sure it is bug free before auto upgrading. 

7 hours ago, rekun said:

It will most likely auto upgrade 

Can you or someone else please advise, where in the settings (advanced or otherwise) can a user disable auto-updating of program version?  I see a setting to ask before updating, but that is for signature database updates.

Currently running 10.1.235.0 here.  TY

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Page42 said:

Can you or someone else please advise, where in the settings (advanced or otherwise) can a user disable auto-updating of program version?  I see a setting to ask before updating, but that is for signature database updates.

Currently running 10.1.235.0 here.

It's not possible to prevent automatic upgrade. Please clarify why would want to stay with 10.1.235 and not upgrade to v11 or newer version in several months or years? We provide protection as a service and do not distinguish between program versions any more; v11 is just an internal version number but it doesn't appear anywhere in the product except in information about installed modules and product version.

12 hours ago, Marcos said:

It's not possible to prevent automatic upgrade. Please clarify why would want to stay with 10.1.235 and not upgrade to v11 or newer version in several months or years? We provide protection as a service and do not distinguish between program versions any more; v11 is just an internal version number but it doesn't appear anywhere in the product except in information about installed modules and product version.

I'll be happy to clarify, although I am immediately surprised that someone like yourself should have to ask that question.

Why do I want to have the ability to disable auto-installation of ANYTHING on my computers?  Simple answer is in case of bad upgrades pushed out by devs that then go on to cause great damage to the user's system.  Could be a minor incompatibility with another security program, or it could be a major flaw that quality control did not catch and hundreds if not thousands of users are left with hosed operating systems.

Why does Microsoft allow users to decide if they want to download and install monthly updates?  Why do the vast majority of all security programs provide this option to their users?  Because while a large segment of non-technically inclined users are content with auto-installation of new versions, there is also a segment who want to research change logs and peruse various forums to see if other users are reporting problems with new version releases.

Again, this answer is so obvious, I am surprised that you would ask for clarification, Marcos.  And it is discouraging to learn from you that there is no simple setting that I can employ to disable these forced upgrades.

1 hour ago, Page42 said:

Why does Microsoft allow users to decide if they want to download and install monthly updates? 

It doesn't anymore with Win 10. Updates are all automatic unless you set your network connection to metered.

You can disable it (advanced setup, update, profiles, update mode and uncheck "application update").    Eventually, you will get popups when your version is very old (you can still click No).  But that's over a year away.

Edited by MarcFL

13 hours ago, MarcFL said:

You can disable it (advanced setup, update, profiles, update mode and uncheck "application update").    Eventually, you will get popups when your version is very old (you can still click No).  But that's over a year away.

Precisely what I was looking for, MarcFL.  Thank you!

• Most Valued Members
On 26/10/2017 at 7:21 PM, Page42 said:

Simple answer is in case of bad upgrades pushed out by devs that then go on to cause great damage to the user's system.  Could be a minor incompatibility with another security program, or it could be a major flaw that quality control did not catch and hundreds if not thousands of users are left with hosed operating systems..

I think that is why they are slow to release the update via the in product update method. Usually it can take a bit for the update to be available in product just for that reason - to avoid everyone updating at once and then bugs being discovered too late.