Jump to content

Banking protection still not working


Recommended Posts

Using Windows 10 Home here, with ESET Smart Security currently on version 9.0.402.0 and signature 14053. Default browser is currently Chrome 64-bit.  Although my default browser was IE11 when the problem first showed up. And the problem previously occurred in Chrome 32-bit.  I have just set my default browser to IE 11 and still have the same symptoms.

 

Back in June I was having problems with ESET Banking Protection not working in Chrome 64-bit.  But it was working fine in other browsers


Then my problem started showing up in all browsers, but only for some banking sites.  Even though all sites were clearly in the list. See 


 

While before I was getting no redirection at all (it would just open the site), currently, in all browsers, it acts like it is redirecting, but never does.  Also, clicking on the ESET Banking & Payment icon on the desktop opens a small black window for a second, then that closes, then nothing happens.

 

I have done a repair install of ESET ESS and that did not help.  I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of ESET ESS and that took me back to 9.0.386.0, and that behaves the same way.  I am going to update it back to 9.0.402.0, but I don't think that is going to help.  

 

[update: Now the problem may be moot as I cannot get the GUI to open. It does not appear in the systray, and the GUI won't open from the start menu either. I don't know what my next step is to do except uninstall again and maybe roll back to 8]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please have a look at this KB: How do I use ESET Banking and Payment protection?

 

You may need to add some banking sites manually.

In case I wasn't clear, this was all working just fine before June.  Banking sites were added manually and were working.  They stopped, then magically started working again. Then they stopped again, this time, clearly being detected as banking sites, but never opening the secure browser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is now working in everything except Chrome 64 bit.  I repair installed.  That didn't help.  I uninstalled.  Reinstalled.  That gave me 9.0.386.0, but it was unstable, and the GUI would not consistently work.  I did another repair install, and this got the GUI to work.  Then I upgraded to 9.0.402.0, and it now works in Firefox and IE.  It does not work in Chrome 64-bit, which I understand has been a problem anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaking Chrome 64-bit is not supported. At least not all versions. Are you using the latest version?

 

This is also mentioned in the KB:

 

Known Issues:

  • Microsoft Edge browser is not supported at this time
  • 64-bit version of Chrome (x64) is not supported at this time
  • A browser started from the Windows Metro environment is not supported
  • Windows XP x64 is not supported
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Last week, Google released Chrome 53 with some changes under the hood, thus Banking and Payment Protection has troubles running with this version.

We are currently working on a fix, thanks for your understanding.

T.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Please fix the Chrome x64 bit version as most with decent pc's run x64 now Thankyou

 

It has been explained above that we are working on a new version of ESS which will include support for the latest version of Chrome. Bigger changes were made to the latest version of Chrome which require changes in ESET's products as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just stopped working in Firefox, again.  It detects it as a listed domain, it gets the little animated dots, and says "Opening secured browser..." but it never opens.  Using Windows 10 home, ESET ESS 9.0.402.0, and Firefox 48.0.  Just updated Firefox to 48.0.2, and still the same thing.  Just checked and same thing in IE 11.545.10586.0.

 

When I try to launch the Banking & Payment Protection icon on the desktop, nothing happens.

 

Basically, something happened in the last 8 days to make it stop working.

Edited by Carl S
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banking protection also not working in Win 10 for ESS 9.0.402 and IE11.00.10240.17071. Also, this was working OK a few days back.

 

Stand-alone BP&P still working fine.

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Banking protection also not working in Win 10 for ESS 9.0.402 and IE11.00.10240.17071. Also, this was working OK a few days back.

 

That's weird, no problems here. Can anybody else reproduce it?

 

post-10-0-12226300-1473578759_thumb.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marcos I forgot that when I original tested BP&P, I had added my bank's web site to IE11's trusted web sites. In that status, the bank web site when accessed from IE11 will activate BP&P. I observed what happens in this status using Process Explorer. The bank web site page is running originally in a spawned IE11 instance with medium integrity. BP&P activates and another IE instance is launched with AppContainer integrity. Shortly thereafter, the IE 11 instance running with medium integrity is terminated. Note that trusted web sites in IE11 run outside of AppContainer.

 

When the bank web site is excluded from IE11's trusted web sites list, the bank web site is launched in the existing AppContainer instance of IE11. BP&P does not activate. Appears BP&P is still having issues with x64 IE11's  advanced EPM.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Still not working for me since upgrading to 10 (now on 10.0.390).  I have installed, repair, uninstalled, etc.  I have tried several browsers, including Firefox, IE, and Chrome (64).  Again, the problem is not that it doesn't detect the site as a banking site.  I have manually added several sites.  The issue is that it detects them, says "Opening secured browser" and then never does anything after that.  I have to turn the feature off to get to a banking site.  Now, to top things off, the setting doesn't seem to want to stick. The next time I log in, I have to change the setting back to off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Carl S said:

Still not working for me since upgrading to 10 (now on 10.0.390).  I have installed, repair, uninstalled, etc.  I have tried several browsers, including Firefox, IE, and Chrome (64).  Again, the problem is not that it doesn't detect the site as a banking site.  I have manually added several sites.  The issue is that it detects them, says "Opening secured browser" and then never does anything after that.  I have to turn the feature off to get to a banking site.  Now, to top things off, the setting doesn't seem to want to stick. The next time I log in, I have to change the setting back to off.

I had the same issue you describe when I had EMET installed and the "deep hooks" option was enabled. Disabling the deep hooks option eliminated the issue.

If you don't have EMET installed but similar software such a HitmanPro-Alert or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit they also could be the source of the conflict.

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, itman said:

I had the same issue you describe when I had EMET installed and the "deep hooks" option was enabled. Disabling the deep hooks option eliminated the issue.

If you don't have EMET installed but similar software such a HitmanPro-Alert or Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit they also could be the source of the conflict.

That may have been it.  I have EMET 5.5 installed, and I disabled Deep Hooks and it started working. I'm not sure which is the best to have enabled, the ESET Banking or the EMET features.

Thank you very much for responding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Carl S said:

That may have been it.  I have EMET 5.5 installed, and I disabled Deep Hooks and it started working. I'm not sure which is the best to have enabled, the ESET Banking or the EMET features.

I uninstalled EMET 5.5 on Win 10 since Eset has excellent anti-exploit protection. Additionally, EMET's ROP protection has always been marginal. Finally, EMET does have a performance impact; with it removed PC is more responsive.

I tested Eset's anti-exploit protection a while back using both IE11 and SurfRight's exploit test tool. Eset passed every test whereas EMET did not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, itman said:

I uninstalled EMET 5.5 on Win 10 since Eset has excellent anti-exploit protection. Additionally, EMET's ROP protection has always been marginal. Finally, EMET does have a performance impact; with it removed PC is more responsive.

I tested Eset's anti-exploit protection a while back using both IE11 and SurfRight's exploit test tool. Eset passed every test whereas EMET did not. 

I installed version 3.0 a long while back when it was recommended on a blog I was reading at the time. I then upgraded to 4.0 and 5.5 as I discovered new versions, but hadn't really paid attention to it.  It was triggered by a few false positives over the years, but I seem to recall it catch a couple of things when I wasn't paying close attention to where I was clicking. I'm happy to remove it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...