ERA5 to 6 upgrade/migration

Where to start?

Been using ERA5 and EAV5 for a while, using MSP licensing obtained through my former RMM provider (Labtech).

I'm changing RMM and opened an ESET MSP account.   All good so far - everyone I've encountered so far has been great.

I figure I should be changing to ERA6, as ERA5 is likely going to be dropped and I'll be in trouble.   I like ERA5, but life goes on...

Been having trouble understanding the upgrade/migration process, the limitations of the policy migrations and the ERA Proxy piece.

I have about 100 endpoints out there all "reporting" to my ERA5 server.   I have a port forwarded on the router the server is behind and that's all I needed to do.

Since I have no faith in my ability to migrate my ERA5 server (mainly because I don't understand the explanation of the policy migration limitations), I wondered about merely building an ERA6 server and using the ERA5 server to push out a policy change to have my endpoints report to the new server.    Can that work?   I can rebuild the policies - they weren't put together very well anyway.

Another question:   I understand that each V5 endpoint will need the agent installed to report to the new server.   I believe my RMM software will help me with that - or maybe I could use it to just push out V6 clients to upgrade my V5's?

And finally:   what's up with this ERA proxy piece?   One document says I "may" use it, I think I read somewhere else that it needs to be installed on a server in the client environment...   Sounds kind of tedious:  I have one client with 25 endpoints, but they are spread out over 10 locations.   I'm going to have to put a server in each small office, just to run an ERA proxy?

ERA6 frankly looks a bit scary to me - I'm seeing a bunch of pieces that need to be deployed and configured.   Looks really finicky.   I only have about 100 endpoints currently, but they are spread out all over the place.   If I have to install or configure all these little bits on each client individually, I might be better off finding a product that isn't so hard to deploy.

On the other hand, since I like the ESET product so much, maybe I just need some advice on how to proceed.

Appreciate any input.   I am reading, and finding lots of docs, but they aren't always that clear.   Maybe hearing from someone who's been through all this will help me get it all straight in my mind.

Thx

After re-reading the article on the ERA proxy, I not only see that it's optional, but also that it's a good idea to use it in certain situations.

So, I withdraw that part of my question above.

Install ERA 6 on a VMWare or Hyper-V box (I use Hyper-V). Deploy Agent to your 100 boxes (however you like; i used TeamViewer and di them individually, or I sent people a batch file to run). And then that's the hard part done. I don't use proxy, I don't use mirrors. But I do have 160 endpoints scattered across the globe, belonging to 6 different organisations, all managed from my central ERA.

It's not as hard as you think. Give it a go on a couple of machines, you'll be pelsaantly surprised.

Jim

• ESET Staff

Hi Marathon IT,

where to start?

I think starting reading Online documentation is a good start to understand philosophy of ERA.
Becuase you're experienced with ERA5 I recommend to you to read:

Since you want to manage up to 100 endpoint, I think you can follow steps in:

Based on your situation, I don't think you need to use ERA Proxy (formerly Server-to-server replication in ERA5). If you have a separate locations, the recommended way is to:

• Install ERA Server using All-in-one installer on a computer/server with a public IP address (and open only appropriate ports), during installation consider deselecting Apache HTTP Proxy (or install it and then disable policy for computers outside your HQ office)
  • If you are afraid of migration, you can exclude migration of computers, but I think migration of logs, groups, policies and users - would be useful
  • Deploy the ERA Agent using the Agent Live Installer method. The advantage is, only ERA Server must be visible by ERA Agent. Once you deploy the ERA Agent, you can deploy/upgrade the Endpoint product.

It is also possible to deploy ERA6 Agent using ERA5, but be careful:
    hxxp://support.eset.com/kb6067/

Anyway, ERA5 is still FULLY SUPPORTED. Announced EOL is December 2018. See hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3592/#era

Hope it helps.