"Error Downloading the Update"

EricTallan

I have multiple clients suddenly having trouble updating.  In ERAS, I get the error message "Error downloading the update".  I have tried clearing the update cache and updating again, but that doesn't help.   I have verified that the clients in question have plenty of free space on the C: drive.

My clients update directly from ESET, and I'm seeing the issue on versions 5.0.2254 and 5.0.2260.

One of the clients had the issue yesterday, so I upgraded it from 5.0.2254 to 5.0.2260 and then it started updating, but today the issue is back on that client.

Hi, I am also seeing this on about 35 clients on 5.0.2237

Doesn't sound like updating will fix this?  Can you also PM me instructions?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi, what about this problem, the issue started yesterday for us, some client are calling us with the same problem?

In administration console, it seems to be computer with Windows 10.

Did you have any solution, because the only one we found is upgrading to Endpoint6, but with 1200 clients it will be a little bit difficult..

Thanks

I have the same probelm...submitted a support request to ESET...their answer was for me to upgrade to 6.x....i just finished upgrading my 4.x to 5.x...so that isnt an option at this time...i di notice the pc's in question are usually ones that the users doesnt restart their pc very often...

• Administrators

To EricTallan: eset.etl does not contain any data. If you open it in a hex editor, you'll see that it's full of 0xFF. Please try to generate it again and also create a Wireshark as well as a Process monitor from the same time.

Was also seeing this, 5.0.2254 clients updating against ERAS 5.2.26.  Mostly Win10 machines, but with a couple of occurrences on Win7 clients.  Started around 22.04.16.

Did not fix it:

* Clearing the ERAS update cache (from within UI) does not fix it.

* Manually clearing:

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\updfiles\*.*

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\charon\*.*

C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Remote Administrator\Server\mirror\*.*

.. does not fix it.

* Rebuilding the ERAS mirror does not fix it.

* Pointing the stuck client directly at ESET update servers does not fix it.

* Clearing the client update cache (from within UI) does not fix it.

Did fix it (temporarily)-

Purging the following client folder contents:

* C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\Updfiles\*.*

* C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\em0**_32/64.dat

.. but we saw the problem recur on some clients anywhere from 6 -24hrs later.

The stuck clients seem to have successfully updated themselves to signature 13428 over the weekend though, so will see what happens..

• Administrators
Was also seeing this, 5.0.2254 clients updating against ERAS 5.2.26.  Mostly Win10 machines, but with a couple of occurrences on Win7 clients.  Started around 22.04.16.

That might explain it. Only the latest version of ERA 5.3.33 has all known update / mirror issues fixed. After upgrade, delete the content of the mirror folder so that it's created from scratch. Should the problem persist, we will troubleshoot it further.

Yes, but I stop ERA serveur first and I run the 2 installers.

For the moment the upgrade did not fix the problem but we don't have mirror so I don't delete the content of mirror folder

Upgraded to ERAS 5.3.3 and purged the server updfiles and mirror folder contents - this did not fix the stuck clients.

On the stuck clients I then purged:

* C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\Updfiles\*.*
* C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Antivirus\em0**_32/64.dat

and they successfully updated to latest signature.  Waiting to see if the problem continues to recur.

Edit:  Upgrading to ERAS 5.3.3 has not fixed it for us, we're continuing to see Win10 clients get stuck with "Error downloading the update".
Edited by Monkston

• Administrators

As the issue persists, please continue as follows:

1, download and install Wireshark as well as Process Monitor.

2, run the following command from the command line prompt started with administrator rights

logman start updater -p {f329ae9a-556d-4934-920f-234e835d9ece} 0xffffff 10 -o C:\eset.etl -ets

3, start logging with Wireshark and Process Monitor

4, run update (wait until an error occurs)

5, stop logging in Wireshark and Process Monitor and save the logs

6, run the command "logman stop updater -ets" with administrator rights

7, collect logs using ESET Log Collector (ELC) from both the workstation and server where a mirror is created

8, create a listing of the mirror folder (e.g. dir c:\mirror > mirror.txt) on the server

9, compress all 3 logs + the listing of the mirror folder, upload them to a safe location along with ELC logs and pm me the download links.

How are people purging those recommended files? All the files are locked, don't want to go into safe mode to delete if I can avoid it.

I am thinking this is a problem with the client itself...i have a windows 7 pc...a standalone version of 5.x....configured to download directly from eset and has never been configured with any sort of policy....strictly standalone...yesterday, windows popped up a message about signatures being out of date...and it showed signature update failed...couldnt get the update to work until i rebooted....this was an upgrade over 4.x and never had an issue the 6 or so months it has been running on this pc...the only time this pc is rebooted is windows updates...the signature failure happened after 11 days since the last reboot...i am wondering if eset changed something in their definition files....??

Has there been any word from ESET?

I have a dozen or so systems with the issue. I performed a repair install last night on 4, all are now working but skeptical for how long.

I am experiencing the same problem here on two ERAS servers. ERAS 5.3.33 and Endpoint 5.0.2254, 5.0.2260 all on Windows 7 machines. Originally it was just one computer and a reboot solved the problem. Then a couple more computers with the same issue and another reboot fixed the problem. This morning it is now 4 more computers with different error messages:

Error downloading the update - Error downloading file from the update server

Error downloading the update - Could not connect to server

Error downloading the update - Error allocating memory

I am in the process of deleting the mirror data, clearing the update cache and then doing a clean definition update and see if that helps.

*just to note - we serve our definitions through IIS and not the internal web server.

Edited by rockshox

come on eset..you need to fix this....something changed in the last month or so with regards to the update process......

I've given up, don't have time to investigate any further & need to get things running.  Currently mid-migration to ERAS v6 & v6 clients, which is a whole other exciting adventure of broken services and complications.

• Administrators

If you can gather the logs I've asked for, please do so and pm me a download link to the files. Otherwise I'd suggest contacting your local customer care or drop me a pm if you're from Europe and we can arrange a remote session.