egui.exe is taking a long time to launch after the desktop loads.

• ESET Insiders

egui.exe is taking a long time to load after the desktop loads with ESS 9. I never had this problem until shortly after upgrading from ESS 8. The Eset tray icon, and splash screen does not appear until after all my other tray icons have loaded. This is about 25-30 seconds after the desktop has loaded. I used autoruns to see where egui.exe was in the order of startup, but I don't see it listed. What can I do to make egui.exe launch more promptly? ekrn.exe service seems to be running before the desktop loads. Is Eset scanning startup items, and executions before egui.exe is running? Malware uses techniques in the wild that causes the user's computer to reboot, and then executes the malware as soon as the desktop begins to load. Some samples are able to execute even sooner.

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• Administrators

It's ekrn.exe which is responsible for scanning files, egui.exe is just graphical interface. As of v9, egui.exe is started by ekrn, not by Windows, however, I haven't come across a case when it would take too long to start.

• ESET Insiders

Thank you for the really fast response time to my post! I have been using Eset since 2004, and it has never taken 25-30 seconds for the tray icon/ splash screen to launch in the past. I don't believe egui.exe is launching as expected.

• ESET Staff

Hi

ESET loads before you can see him as a service to prevent malware infect the computer (as you mention).

You cannot see the load as a service but is there even if the icon is not there or the logo on startup.

As @Marcos mention, EGUI is just the user graphical interface.

The first scan of the computer after the install cause some delays and consume resources, just let them

finish. After that is normal.

If you have windows 10, the Task manager shows how much impact the programs have on startup and

you can disable those you don't need. Is not good to modify the ESET part, be advice.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

• ESET Insiders

I really wish Eset forum would warn the user when they are no longer logged in. Eset Forum still gives the user the option to make a post even when not logged in. Why give the user the option to make a post if it's only going to deny the post. I just lost my very lengthy post when submitting the post. It said I did not have permission to make the post, and I lost the entire post. Eset is the only forum I have ever used that does this. Please take this option away since it denies the post regardless, and the user loses their post.

Well, I don't have time to retype my post. I will make a very brief one. I just used a stop watch, and it takes egui.exe 58 seconds to load after the desktop has loaded. That can not be typical behavior. I would try a reinstall, but it will take a very long time to reconfigure my firewall settings and rules. There are issues with the firewall that I reported during the beta that never was fixed, and it makes it very time consuming to deal with the firewall.

Yes, i'm aware that egui.exe is only the GUI. I just wanted to confirm that the service begins to do it's job before the GUI is running. You would be surprised to see what I have discovered when testing other software. Just recently I found some software that was not protecting the user when the service was running. The developers informed me several times it was, but I proved them wrong. It turned out there was a bug in their software they were not aware of.