Any plans for ESET "Basic"?

I have always used Eset.  I have had a few rare problems, such as XP and USB drivers, and some installation garbage left here and there on occasion.

Most of the problems have been firewall issues.

I have fixed all these problems over time.  ESet[s firewall often has to be reconfigured if you install non-popular third party software.  Especially when such 3rd party software does updates. (Example:  Tire Management software from ASA)

Often I find it hard to recommend ESet to non-savvy computer users.  I run a PC repair business.  If I maintain the business with remote support, I usually have them purchase ESet because I am comfortable with it.

But for the client who isn't have computer savvy, or does not desire remote support, I always recommend Webroot.

I just wonder if Eset has ever thought about creating an ESET BASIC version for users who want complete simplicity.

I am not worried  about the debate of ESet having better protection than Webroot.  In all my cases, both have outstanding track records.

Personally, I doubt it.

Eset has been asked multiple times about a "free" version. The response was a direct - no. Most vendor's that offer a "basic" version of their product do so as a freebie with a number of features of the paid product disabled. Most of these vendors don't have a large corporate customer base like Eset has. The vendors use the freebie version as a "teaser" to entice purchase of the full paid version. Doubt Eset is even remotely interested in those retail sales tactics.

• Most Valued Members

Eset's firewall does have an "Automatic" mode.  But like you say, a lot of 3rd party apps wont have the rules created for them by ESS. Then you end up in the position where you would have been better using the "Interactive" mode in the first place and using that to learn the rules for every application.

I really do not see the need for a feature de-contented version. Both ESS and NOD32 offer very good protection using default settings which involves little user involvement after the initial set-up and that isn't painful at all.

Free is OK (like free basketball or baseball tickets), but it isn't the best thing because there is ALWAYS a price to be paid (like parking 5 blocks from the event for $30.00 ... or $10.00 hot dogs and $12.00 beers). :unsure:

You get what you pay for.

Edited by TomFace

Really not worried about it being "free", as I consider ESet;s pricing a bargain as it is.  My clients or I would still pay.  They would like a simpler version with a firewall that was very automatic.  People who aren't techs or computer savvy often don't know how to answer firewall prompts or don't know if ESet blocked something.  They just know one of their programs quit working, or a printer stopped, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

They would like a simpler version with a firewall that was very automatic

:huh: The firewall in default mode allows all outbound traffic. So a user would not receive anymore firewall alerts from Smart Security than they would using the Win firewall.

This might be so in version 9, not sure yet.  But in default mode with version 8, it shutdown database communication from a program using a custom server to/from it's work stations.

I hope version 9 has this fixed in "DEFAULT" mode.

• ESET Insiders

I really do not see the need for a feature de-contented version. Both ESS and NOD32 offer very good protection using default settings which involves little user involvement after the initial set-up and that isn't painful at all.

You get what you pay for.

Indeed you do get what you pay for.

Nod32 in my humble opinion is the 'basic' program - an anti-virus without much need for fettling! The performance:protection ratio is pretty damn solid out of the box too. ESS has many more aspects for the end user to play with, should they choose to do so, and can cause the inexperienced a few headaches if not careful. The option is there to 'set and forget' too.

I think ronxp2000 raises an interesting point as more AV companies move to offering freebie software however I don't see the need for Eset to offer freebies. With freebies all I see are endless promotions and cut-price upgrade adverts popping up all the time. I installed a paid-for internet security suite from a well known freebie AV company (starting with an 'A') and that too has upgrade adverts plasted on the main UI page :rolleyes:

Edited by TJP

I note that most issues mentioned seem to be connected to the firewall of ESS. Well, why not go with NOD32 + Win OS Firewall or some other 3'rd party firewall - if the firewall in ESS causes too much problems for certain users.

I use the Firewall in Policy-based mode myself cause I want control, but I have not noticed any issues when I have used Automatic mode either.

We also now have the Firewall "Troubleshooter" (I forgot its real name) in V9 that has been implemented to help with the firewall issues one may get. Other times an hour in Learning mode may solve issues automatically.

• Most Valued Members

I note that most issues mentioned seem to be connected to the firewall of ESS. Well, why not go with NOD32 + Win OS Firewall or some other 3'rd party firewall - if the firewall in ESS causes too much problems for certain users.

I use the Firewall in Policy-based mode myself cause I want control, but I have not noticed any issues when I have used Automatic mode either.

We also now have the Firewall "Troubleshooter" (I forgot its real name) in V9 that has been implemented to help with the firewall issues one may get. Other times an hour in Learning mode may solve issues automatically.

Before ESS was created, i used a combination of NOD 32 + OUTPOST firewall. That worked pretty much the same as ESS does now.

Use "Interactive" mode on ESS , run the 3rd party apps on the machines that you need to communicate ...... when you get the notification window pop up that shows the application name. Click allow and remember and that is all that's needed.

There WONT be any firewall out there that knows the name & intent of every application created since time began in any sort of "Automatic" mode, and you will always have some manual work to do. Even windows firewall needs user interaction for every non windows/system application.

• Administrators

For ~95% of home users default automatic mode should work well as it allows all outbound communication and blocks all non-initiated incoming communication. For those who run a server application and other computers connect to it are usually not users who wouldn't know anything about firewall. Even then it's possible to allow a recently blocked communication by running the Firewall troubleshooting wizard, selecting the desired application, clicking Unblock and that's it. I can't think of any way how to make it even more easier. Alternatively, one can switch to learning or interactive mode.

Thanks everyone.  I know how to solve the solution.  Just looking for an easier alternative for clients when simplicity is the utmost goal.

Everyone has been so helpful, thank you.

• ESET Insiders

Hi ronxp2000

What you want is just Eset Antivirus, as module causing the need for manual configuration is the firewall. It will always be like this with firewalls, and is not a thing only related to Eset.

Also for 95% of the users, even the default firewall settings works just fine.