annoying text in firewall rules editor

• ESET Insiders

There is very annoying text in the firewall editor that does not allow the user to see the application names. All I see in every row is, "Allow Communication for, or Deny Communication for". I can only see the first few letters of the application name which the rule is for. This text is not needed, and only obstructs the view of the application names. The Action column already tells the user if the communication is Allowed, or Denied for each application. Take a look at the screeshot I attached with this post.  Do you see what I mean? The text covers all the application names. Look at the arrow pointing to the Action field which already shows the user if the communication is Allowed, or Denied. I don't want to have to delete this useless text every time I Allow, or Deny communication for an application. I think it has been over 3 months since I reported this by the beta program feedback, and I was informed my suggestion would be taken under advisement. I would like to know if Eset has any intentions of removing this text which hurts usability? Also I reported that the firewall editor window cannot be be resized. If I change the dimensions of the editor window it returns to it's default as soon as I close the Window. I was informed this was going to be fixed, but it never was. Lets work together on this, and try to insure the best product possible will be released.

regards,

Mike

post-1030-0-22873400-1444507116_thumb.jpg

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• Most Valued Members

Slightly off topic but the same annoyance - ESET Cyber Security Pro for Mac also has the exact same thing in the firewall editor and it's very hard to see what the actual rule is for, manually editing each rule to remove 'Allow communication for' or 'Deny communication for'. Same issues with remembering window size - no point resizing as it goes back to default including column width.

Would be great to do something about this for both Smart Security's (and Cyber Security Pro's) Firewall.

• Most Valued Members

Just make the "Name" column wider by holding the left mouse down on the divider bar between "Name" and "Enabled" and drag the mouse to the right.

post-351-0-80783100-1444614565_thumb.png

Edited by SCR

• Most Valued Members

Just make the "Name" column wider by holding the left mouse down on the divider bar between "Name" and "Enabled" and drag the mouse to the right.

Does the width that we set stay that way after rebooting or reopening the window though? It seems a little inconvenient having to keep adjusting the column every single time. It doesn't remember in Cyber Security, does it remember in Smart Security 9 (Beta)?

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

Does the width that we set stay that way after rebooting or reopening the window though? It seems a little inconvenient having to keep adjusting the column every single time. It doesn't remember in Cyber Security, does it remember in Smart Security 9 (Beta)?

No, the size returns to the default after closing the Firewall rule window.

• ESET Moderators

Hello, I have checked this with our development team and they say a fix for the situation is planned for a future version.

• Most Valued Members

Hello, I have checked this with our development team and they say a fix for the situation is planned for a future version.

Thomas,

That's good news. I must say that I personally don't have an issue with it the way it is. I don't spend a great deal of time in the rule editor once I have the system setup. None-the-less it will be appreciated.

Thank you for your reply... I'm off to fresh install the final. :)

• ESET Insiders

The only real fix I see for this problem is to remove the useless text that prevents the user from seeing the application names. Is there any ETA on when this fix will be released?

• Most Valued Members

The only real fix I see for this problem is to remove the useless text that prevents the user from seeing the application names. Is there any ETA on when this fix will be released?

A real quick and immediate fix would be to just edit the name of the rule to fit the allotted space until Eset releases the fix mentioned by Thomas.

post-351-0-00375100-1445106168_thumb.png

• Most Valued Members

Thank you, that is what I have already been doing as stated in my first post., It makes no sense to make the user have to do this for every firewall rule though.

Especially when there is a large number of them. It's also what I've been doing.

@TomasP, does this include EES (Business) & ECSP (Home) for OS X users?

• Most Valued Members

The topic has moved from complaining about the names being to long to see, to it takes to long to make the names short so they can be seen.

The alternative is to make the column bigger to see them as they are. I doubt Eset is going to have the fix out in a short period of time. So the choice is yours to make.

• Most Valued Members

The topic has moved from complaining about the names being to long to see, to it takes to long to make the names short so they can be seen.

The alternative is to make the column bigger to see them as they are. I doubt Eset is going to have the fix out in a short period of time. So the choice is yours to make.

It is still the same issue overall - the names are currently too long to see (and making them short isn't an easy solution when you have a large number of them, but is the only solution for the short term right now). Making the column bigger isn't a permanent solution as resizing will be required every single time.

So, having the rules set without 'allow communication for' and 'deny communication for' in future releases would be the first fix, plus having ESET's programs remember the column width would be the second fix. Both would be beneficial to have.

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

Out of idle curiosity how often are you editing rules after your rules have been configured and all is running smooth? I may get in there once a week at most, and a  majority of the time even less than that.

With schedules for updates and scans I probably enter the GUI even less then that except when I'm going off and on line several times a day,. Then I use the tray icon for updates which of course opens the GUI..

• ESET Insiders

Only a few times per week once I have gotten the rules how I want them. I have several workstations so the time I initially have to take to remove all that text really adds up. 

Edited by cutting_edgetech

So, having the rules set without 'allow communication for' and 'deny communication for' in future releases would be the first fix, plus having ESET's programs remember the column width would be the second fix. Both would be beneficial to have.

I fully agree with that and much less (or not) with most other suggestions. Besides, the view at the FW Rules was OK in version 8 (and 7).

Triggered by the post of SCR (Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:24 PM), I tried (successfully) the following procedure:

#1. Export settings.

#2. With Notepad++ (or other editor), replace in that XML file the unwanted strings (including a trailing space) by "empty".

#3. After saving, import that modified settings file.

So, if there are many rules to edit, it is faster and easier than editing each rule manually.

Note. The predefined rules have still long 'names', but normally you don't see them. But I think, there is no need to shrink that descriptions. Besides, there is no default (and needless) beginning of the 'Name' too.

Sometimes there seem to be duplicate rules and in that case I want to compare them. That has become rather difficult and annoying in v9, because you have to look at the full information in the column Applications.

My suggestion is that a Details screen  should be added and apart from OK or Abort, a Next and Previous button would be very nice.

Note. The Edit screen don't show the application information, but perhaps could Edit and Details be combined.