ESET v9 sucks - remember NOD32 v2

Some bacgroud:  I consider myself advanced user and IT tech and I have been using Windows OS for many years. In the past I was using ESET products, we even reselled them for a while.

Now for several years I use Linux and I continue working for the IT industry - I even support for other vendor [uS company] but the vendor I have to support because I work for it - I don't like their AV security products products - I am honest.

I switched to Linux because of I am tired of the Microsoft industry and all these malware and the AV products.

Until recently - for Windows users (both business and home) I liked Kaspersky and ESET products only.

A friend of mine was using AVIRA and MSE previously and got infected by Necurs trojan rootkit some months ago.

I started evaluating several products, finished to Kaspersky and ESET and due to the interface and speed, I was about to choose ESET (trial version of NOD32 v8 expires soon).

However, when I learnt about the new ESET 9 - this totally changed my mind.

Now reallity:

You, ESET, really suck ! Isn't there anybody who could tell you (internally) that you have the power to be light and effective because of where you started. Remember the lightness and effectiveness of NOD32 v2, v2.5 , v2.7 - even v3 and v4 ?

But you chose the commerical way - now you began releasing new versions every year and you totally changed the GUI of both home and business products. It sucks! It looks awful - it looks Metro like, ugly, big, things are not where they should be. The GUI options are way too much, it is slower than it used to be. Why did you have to break something that works ?

If it works, don't fix it !  I am not it did not work for you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:If_it_ain%27t_broke,_don%27t_fix_it

What ESET was several years ago - ESET and NOD were sign of lightness, high quality, professionalism.

Now ESET turned their products into J*U*N*K. Complete, big junk just like other big companies such as McCrappy, Symantec

• Administrators

ESET is actually very light on system resources. In the era of v2, there wasn't much malware that required more advanced technologies, such as HIPS with AMS and EB or improved advanced heuristics which has always played a key role in detection of new borne threats. The situation has significantly changed and nowadays we are seeing hundreds of thousands pieces of new malware emerging on a daily basis. A lot of them is advanced malware like Cryptolockers / Filecoders. If you were to use v2 nowadays, it would detect only a small portion of the malware that is detected and blocked by current versions.

As for gui, it's obvious that not 100% users can like it no matter how it changes. It was same with v2 and newer versions; some people liked gui and some not. It's a matter of personal preference. The point is that the aim of antivirus software is to protect the system; a common user should never need to open gui and the av program should just sit in the background and do its job.

Hello,

i think one of the advantages is, ESS 9 has a very strong installer, that couldn't be infected...

It needs a bit time, until ESS9 is running fast. After 1 or 2 day's it's much faster, cause the data on you computer is than like trusted zone.

The settings in ESS9 are much higher as in 8 and more modules are loaded.

So give the developers a bit time, to optimize the program.

It is only the first official beta version... it's your own fault when you are using it, on a system, where you need safe working and fastness.

Edited by AndyX28

• Administrators

It needs a bit time, until ESS9 is running fast. After 1 or 2 day's it's much faster, cause the data on you computer is than like trusted zone.

This could be due to empty cache after a clean install which takes some time to populate with cloud data as files are scanned. This is not a problem if you install over an older version and the local cache content is preserved.

• Most Valued Members

Some bacgroud:  I consider myself advanced user and IT tech and I have been using Windows OS for many years. In the past I was using ESET products, we even reselled them for a while.

Now for several years I use Linux and I continue working for the IT industry - I even support for other vendor [uS company] but the vendor I have to support because I work for it - I don't like their AV security products products - I am honest.

I switched to Linux because of I am tired of the Microsoft industry and all these malware and the AV products.

Until recently - for Windows users (both business and home) I liked Kaspersky and ESET products only.

A friend of mine was using AVIRA and MSE previously and got infected by Necurs trojan rootkit some months ago.

I started evaluating several products, finished to Kaspersky and ESET and due to the interface and speed, I was about to choose ESET (trial version of NOD32 v8 expires soon).

Now reallity:

You, ESET, really suck ! Isn't there anybody who could tell you (internally) that you have the power to be light and effective because of where you started. Remember the lightness and effectiveness of NOD32 v2, v2.5 , v2.7 - even v3 and v4 ?

But you chose the commerical way - now you began releasing new versions every year and you totally changed the GUI of both home and business products. It sucks! It looks awful - it looks Metro like, ugly, big, things are not where they should be. The GUI options are way too much, it is slower than it used to be. Why did you have to break something that works ?

What ESET was several years ago - ESET and NOD were sign of lightness, high quality, professionalism.

Now ESET turned their products into J*U*N*K. Complete, big junk just like other big companies such as McCrappy, Symantec

Eset has always been about  lightweight programs and you'll notice that they don't tend to copy what others do - a lot of security suites add toolbars, extra stuff like cleaning unwanted files etc. These other companies have tried to turn their products into much more than security suites but have often in turn made their programs very bloated.

One problem I have noticed with Eset though is the product hasn't been the sleekest design out there. I actually don't mind their previous design, it was very simple but it worked. The problem is though a lot of people are used to more graphic designs and might find Eset's old design a little off putting, possibly even complicated.

Version 9 doesn't seem to slow my computer down although I have a generally new computer, an i7 with 7gb of RAM. What version 9 seems to do for me is take the speed of previous versions but with a design that is easier to use for people without a lot of computer knowledge. I love the fact that it includes a Firewall Troubleshooter Wizard that will further help people without much knowledge who wouldn't know where to look to allow a program access and would probably end up turning their firewall off to check if Eset is the issue

I like the strong installer at no. 9.... Gives a good, safe feeling and is directly starting, when you have erased all further installations. :)

Yeah, after programms are scanned, seem's there is less system impact...

I'm awaiting, until country versions comming...

If it will show some information's when Botnet 2.0 detections get new updates from Eset Servers, would be also nice... :)

Edited by AndyX28

You bets it right when it come to GUI, not all people will love the new GUI 100%, even for me (Personally) Eset sucks in designing something, its ugly :P

But anyway, i didnt care about that, i only care about the performance, and yet ESET did do its best on maintaining it previous performance on new emerging malware and consuming the RAM, so for me its find, but i also have some request, Dont make the UI more complicated, make it simple and easy to be used especially for NOOB like me and also make an option for Expert mode for some professionals out there.

As ESET indeed become favorite for IT exert and NOOB in IT as it UI easy to configured. Maintained this and it will become a very good products. 

Go ESET!! and improve more in this beta version. I love to see more of it ;)

This could be due to empty cache after a clean install which takes some time to populate with cloud data as files are scanned. This is not a problem if you install over an older version and the local cache content is preserved.

Would be cool, if someone uninstall the program, if it can let saved the Smart-Optimazion Data... (for example in Appdata folder)

I mean that it doesn't need allways a first scan...

If you make a request, in uninstall tool, to let Smartoptimization Data saved, would be nice.

2 hours first scan sucks... and with demo,,, i often installed new, until it run's well.

For me Version 9 gives more secure feeling, cause of higher settings, but it needs much system power, until first 1 or 2 scan's finished...

even i have a i7 quadcore processor  ;)

Edited by AndyX28

• 4 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members

Now reallity:

Like Marcos stated above, v2 of eset products were lightweight and done the job that they needed to do BACK when they were released. Time has moved on and so has the talent of crafting new code to infect pc's.

I too loved the simplicity of v2 layout and options ...... but new & more options are needed in today's world.

The GUI is no more complex than any other A/V product that i have tried, and i have tried (nearly) them all ;)

Performance wise, i would be surprised if ESET's products did not rank in the top 3 (if not top) , for low system impact.

I too find the new GUI jarring, but perhaps its because I don't understand the motivation for the changes. I'm curious why the changes were made. Was there some compelling reason for it, or was it just change for the sake of change? Can you provide any insight into the thought process that led to the new design?

--

bc

[...]

I started evaluating several products, finished to Kaspersky and ESET [..] due to the interface and speed, I was about to choose ESET

Really? What exactly made you change your mind?

Now reallity:

You, ESET, really suck !

That's not reality, that's 1. way too rude for this forum, and 2. your personal opinion.

Isn't there anybody who could tell you (internally) that you have the power to be light and effective because of where you started. Remember the lightness and effectiveness of NOD32 v2, v2.5 , v2.7 - even v3 and v4 ?

What makes you think the newer ESET products are not light and effective?

Do you have any numbers, such as benchmarks, and comparisons between versions and OS, to back up that statement?

But you chose the commerical way - now you began releasing new versions every year and you totally changed the GUI of both home and business products.

1) New versions every year improves the product and I appreciate the new features.

2) The GUI has been consistently similar since Version 4 was released in 2009.

It sucks! It looks awful

What are your suggestions then, as to how to improve the interface?

- it looks Metro like, ugly, big, things are not where they should be.

Tablet devices sales have risen dramatically and are close to surpassing PC sales. [1]

You should expect more support tickets involving touch-based windows devices.

With this reality in mind, it is necessary to optimize the interface for desktop and touch-based operation.

Otherwise in the future, there could be complaints on this forum about the interface being old

and hard to use with touch input.

The GUI options are way too much, it is slower than it used to be. Why did you have to break something that works ?

I'm sorry you've had this experience. However this is still a beta product under development.

Can you share with us your ideas for improvement and which GUI views are bothering you?

I've yet to read a single clearly stated suggestion from you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:If_it_ain't_broke,_don't_fix_it

Again, be respectful. There is no need for lecturing people. Please share your list of suggestions so that we can discuss them accordingly.

• 3 months later...
The GUI on ESS v4/v5/v6/v7/v8 was very good; but the gui of v9 version is awful. Thats was bad to me (personally), i just will use the ESS8 and wait, a GUI better, without minimalist way, flat and almost same color at all the GUI without differences on menu and basics options.

Notifications are also ugly and recurrent, so you always see the interface, been a simple user or not.

• 5 months later...
Guest MarcoO

ESET is actually very light on system resources. In the era of v2, there wasn't much malware that required more advanced technologies, such as HIPS with AMS and EB or improved advanced heuristics which has always played a key role in detection of new borne threats. The situation has significantly changed and nowadays we are seeing hundreds of thousands pieces of new malware emerging on a daily basis. A lot of them is advanced malware like Cryptolockers / Filecoders. If you were to use v2 nowadays, it would detect only a small portion of the malware that is detected and blocked by current versions.

As for gui, it's obvious that not 100% users can like it no matter how it changes. It was same with v2 and newer versions; some people liked gui and some not. It's a matter of personal preference. The point is that the aim of antivirus software is to protect the system; a common user should never need to open gui and the av program should just sit in the background and do its job.

For me I can only say that I love the GUI in the Smart Security 9 and also in the Mobile Security 3.2. I hate the colourful GUI in the old versions and the GUI from v9 is modern and very flat which a good security application have to be. Please stay with it ! Like Marcos said: some people hate it, some love it, but I think the most users love the v9 GUI.

Now reallity:

I came from Kaspersky because of ESETs Smart Security 9 and the countless bugs and the bad support at Kaspersky... But of course ESET have to deliver to keep me  ;)

• 9 months later...

I have to agree with the original poster, the GUI for v9 is terrible (not even looked at 10), I cannot logically find anything. It seems to be created for the Win10 style rubbish in mind. Everyone know that it takes 8 more clicks in Win10 to get the same job ot takes 2 clicks to do in Win7.

I had to remove v9 and reinstall v8. But now I keep getting f'ing annoying messages asking me to upgrade every day or so.

I have used Eset Nod32 AV for years and used to advise all my family and freinds to use it (I am also a software developer). But not any more, I simply cannot in good conscience. When my latest subscriptions (approx 50 of them) run out I feel I will be forced to used a different AV. Eset seem to be going down the wrong route for me. Nod32 used to be the gamers AV - fast, lightweight and unobtrusive. Not any more.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, nemo1966 said:

Everyone know that it takes 8 more clicks in Win10 to get the same job ot takes 2 clicks to do in Win7.

Normal users never have to open the gui. What do you do with gui so often that it now requires 8 more clicks than with v8?

Nod32 used to be the gamers AV - fast, lightweight and unobtrusive.

It still is and is much lighter than ever before (not taking v1/v2 into account). Please clarify if and under what circumstances you experience performance issues so that we can help you troubleshoot them.

Couldn't tell you now because... wait for it. I uninstalled it. It was just so uninstuative, took ages to find anything (just like windows 10). Abstraction just for the sake of making a new Gui to keep a department in a job.