Push Notification Service Servers Cannot be Reached ver.11.0.2032.0

badmotorfinger

Yesterday i updated ALL company (118) pcs to version 11.0.2032 of Eset Endpoint AV.

Today almost every pc or notebook showed a yellow alert saying that Push Notification Service Servers Cannot be Reached.

image.thumb.png.34e1541ce5c647432d1af0463f0612de.png

This has already happened in an older version, don't remember if it was on a 9.0 or 10 but it happened before.

At the time Eset released a temporary workaround and then a fix in a new version or component upgrade don't remember.. but .. again the same problem... hope they fix ASAP as almost every employee has been calling for the same reason and i don't have an answer.

I'm also getting the same notice on my computer.  Started yesterday, then seemed to resolve itself.  I thought the issue was fixed until it just showed up again today.  :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Since EPNS does not affect protection whatsoever, we plan to report EPNS issues only if a problem is on user's end, e.g. if a firewall is blocking the communication with EPNS servers.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Since EPNS does not affect protection whatsoever, we plan to report EPNS issues only if a problem is on user's end, e.g. if a firewall is blocking the communication with EPNS servers.

Today we suddenly have ~700 devices, which report this Warning. It would be really helpful to know if this is caused by a temporary fault in the central EPNS Infrastructure, so we can stop looking for a possible cause in our own infrastructure. Our whole team already spend half a day trying to debug this. Is there a EPNS problem right now?

It seems like the Warning does not disappear - even if the problem is resolved. We sent "wake up" EPNS call to some of the affected devices. They reacted immediately, but still reported a problem reaching the EPNS?!?

Edited by Sec-C

We have the same issue. We have waited to deploy a new version for the last 4 months due to an issue with a previous update that that affected 100 devices and took us 3 weeks to resolve. 

Unfortunately now we are pushing out this update (luckily to a smaller subset of devices) and we have the same. The warning and wake-up commands and task results are not reporting correctly.

Do we have a fix date for this? We will hold off on upgrading the rest of our devices.

Thanks,

BB

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

Do we have a fix date for this? We will hold off on upgrading the rest of our devices.

We will silence the notifications unless caused by a problem on users' end. You can disable the application status in the advanced setup -> Desktop notifications -> Application statuses:

image.png

Just now, Marcos said:

We will silence the notifications unless caused by a problem on users' end. You can disable the application status in the advanced setup -> Desktop notifications -> Application statuses:

image.png

Is the PNS not responsible for wake-up commands, task status updates etc?

We have devices we updated and they have successfully updated to v11 but are not reporting back task status and the wake-up command is not working. They do however communicate at the usual replication interval.

image.thumb.png.f848e4fd9a7b7229f474c683e6d6c170.png

@Marcos thanks for creating the notification banner explaining this. One thing I would like to ask is, does it look like the resolution for this will be a new ESET Endpoint Security or Agent update, or is it a fix without client software changes?

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, BlueBear said:

@Marcos thanks for creating the notification banner explaining this. One thing I would like to ask is, does it look like the resolution for this will be a new ESET Endpoint Security or Agent update, or is it a fix without client software changes?

We'll fix it on our EPNS servers today and change the way the notifications pop up via an automatic module update soon. We expect the Direct cloud communication module 1136 to be available on the pre-release update channel tomorrow.

Just now, Marcos said:

We'll fix it on our EPNS servers today and change the way the notifications pop up via an automatic module update soon. We expect the Direct cloud communication module 1136 to be available on the pre-release update channel by the beginning of next week.

Excellent, many thanks. We will resume with the upgrades to v11 next week.

2 hours ago, BlueBear said:

@Marcos thanks for creating the notification banner explaining this.

@Marcos, in our case all devices are running Version 10 (Agent + Endpoint or Server Security) - not version 11.

Same as Sec-C - most machines are on v10 (or v6 on Mac) and I get mixed messages of EPNS. 
Waiting for an update or a clear on the endpoints.

Thank you for working on it.