Windows Security Center Service unable to load instances of AntiVirusProduct from datastore.

Zardoc

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

With v17.0.15 installed and updated on a Win10 system without recent uodates there were no errors.

What Win updates did you perform?

I installed the Win Nov. updates after I had reverted back to ver. 16.2.15. So you might have at least nailed down the source of the WCS errors.

As far as a strong possible suspect in regards to the Win Nov. cumulative update, Microsoft patched a zero day vulnerability in SmartScreen. Since SmartScreen directly interfaces with WSC, "my money is on" this being the the source of conflict with Eset and WCS processing at system start up time.

• Administrators

Been trying to upgrade gradually, now installing 2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032189). No issues so far.

22631.2715 has the smart screen updates (windows11.0-kb5032190-) and the error is not showing up. I will upgrade to RP build now.

Edited by Zardoc

OK, This is what I noticed;

When I upgraded to V17 on build 22631.2506 of Windows, after reboot security center starts right away. Same thing for all updates added after the fact up to 22631.2787.

If you are running 22631.2787 and then upgrade to v17 then error 16 and then 19 pop up in the viewer and after that a 2 minute delay is noticed (on my machine) before Security Center kicks in on every boot.

What I did notice when I upgraded to V17 on build 22631.2506 was that Event error 19 showed up right away but did not cause delays with Security Center. It started right after boot.

image.thumb.png.5ceb561bb1dd3eba30bb12b139304bc4.png

So there's something funky in V17.

Edited by Zardoc

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Been trying to upgrade gradually, now installing 2023-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5032189). No issues so far.

After Win 10 22H2 Nov. cumulative update, my build no. is 19045.3693 and this is the one Eset ver.17.0.15 is causing WSC event log errors.

Also within this Win Update was a .Net update but don't believe that is the source of the problem

As far as Win 10 22H2 Nov. update, MS pushed additional updates besides the cumulative and .Net update listed in the below screen shot. It's possible the Eset WSC issues is related to one of those;

Eset_Nov_Update.thumb.png.b8fc5a05d671cca00e42ee3836930482.png

Still not possible to update ESET 16.2.15 to 17.0.15 , in Win11 latest version , without the eventlog-errors id=18 and id=19.............

May we expect a solution , or not possible to update at all in future.........??  🤔

Where ( ??) can we find the download-link to Internet-Security 17.0.13 ??

Will install this version over my 16.2.15 ............

Then wait untill 17.0.15 will be fixed !

Itman ; "  I installed ver. 17.0.3 on top of my existing ver. 16.2.15 installation. No WSC Win event log errors immediately after ver. 17 installation or thereafter. "................WHERE/HOW ( ??) to get version 17.0.3 ?  Nowhere to be found ! 

Want to update to 17.0.3 , coz 17.0.15 gives eventlog-errors.............

6 minutes ago, Pete12 said:

Itman ; "  I installed ver. 17.0.3 on top of my existing ver. 16.2.15 installation. No WSC Win event log errors immediately after ver. 17 installation or thereafter. "................WHERE/HOW ( ??) to get version 17.0.3 ? 

@Marcos would have to load ver. 17.0.13 into Early Access section of the forum for you to download it.

The question is how did you access ver. 17.0.13 in the first place to perform on-top upgrade of ver. 16.2.15?

"   would have to load ver. 17.0.13 into Early Access section of the forum for you to download it. "........yes, please, give me a link to this version , or tell me HOW(?) /WHERE (?) to get this version .

17 .0.15 gives me ( and others too) lots of event-errors , look in this forum , you know !

Im on 16.2.15 , updating to 17.0.13 , will be fine ( untill 17.0.15 is fixed )

• Administrators

You can download v17.0.13 from https://forum.eset.com/files/file/129-eset-security-17013/, however, I don't expect it will make any difference since the only difference between v17.0.13 and v17.0.15 are amended strings in the Japanese version.

1. updated ( again) from 16-version to latest 17.0.15 ; again my eventlogs full with errors ; id=18 and id=19 , so, this problem is still not fixed ( grrrrr !)  Went back to 16-version .

2. " So to make this simple, we can remain on V16 without issues and eventually a v17 fix will pop up ? "............still no answer to this important question !

Several people , included me , are still waiting for a fixed new updated 17.0.15 ...........

• Administrators

1, The issue seems to be somehow caused by Windows update KB5032189. At the moment I can't tell if it will be reported to Microsoft or if we'll try to work around it somehow.

2, Older versions will eventually upgrade when they reach EOL. For more information about EOL schedule for home products, please read https://support-eol.eset.com/en/policy_home/product_tables.html.

I will also note that the issue appears to be different for Win 10 versus Win 11.

On Win 10, all I observe is two Win event log entries; one for AV database and one for firewall database, being created at system restart time. The same event log entries are not created via Win fast startup mode. Everything else system-wise appears to be fully functional. Eset AV and firewall registration in WSC is OK and all Win related services are active.

Edited by itman

I also have suspicious this issue is related to Eset's ELAM driver, eelam.sys, since this is what Windows uses in WCS processing in regards to verifying third party AV/firewall use. This driver appears not to have been updated recently and might not be compatible with new Azure code signing requirements?

• Administrators

We are going to reach out to Microsoft since there doesn't seem to be any issue on our part and the problem is somehow related to Windows update KB5032189.

Hi! My ESET Internet Security just updated to ver. 17.0.15.0. and I also started noticing these SecurityCenter event errors (18 and 19) in my event log (they appear approx. 2 minutes after the OS starts).

I have a Windows 10 22H2 (19045.3693) installed.
Windows SecurityCenter is shown as running in Services (set to delayed start).
Windows Security Service is also running.
In Settings -> Security -> Windows Security ESET is added and everything is green.

I don't really mind what's in the event log if ESET IS is still doing its work. 
So the question is - do I still have protection, does the antivirus still working?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, jocking said:

I don't really mind what's in the event log if ESET IS is still doing its work. 

So the question is - do I still have protection, does the antivirus still working?

Everything works despite the errors being logged. We are going to report the issue to Microsoft.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Everything works despite the errors being logged. We are going to report the issue to Microsoft.

That's a relief. Thank you for the quick answer! :)