ESET Browser Privacy & Security extension not (yet) working - connection lost

With the 17.0.15.0 major ESET-update came the ESET Browser Privacy & Security extension installed for browsers.

Currently, this extension is nof fully running and working on both Brave Browser, Google Chrome and Firefox.

Are these start-up hickups from this new tooling/extenstion in the new ESET-version?

image.png

The screenshot is from Brave.

It got installed mentioning there is a new extension available from within the browser itself, and I could just use that. Same with Google Chrome.
Both browsers use the Chromium engine.

I have created three screenshots from this extension from each different browser. In all browsers though the extension can be run.

Firefox seems to be working.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Administrators

I'm afraid we can't prevent Brave from reading the extension from Chrome or to prevent getting it from Chrome webstore via Brave. The point is not to install it since Brave is not a supported browser. We'll add a notice in the documentation and possibly KB as well.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Glassertje said:

I see the same in the Firefox plugin. I only see secure search and browser cleanup. In the add-on store i see a screenshot whit also metadata cleanup and website settings review.

This is correct. The screenshot was taken from ESET Security Ultimate which has more features.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Glassertje said:

Thank you for the reply. I read yesterday about the ultimate, but can't find it anywhere. Is it new? Sorry if i'm offtopic.

There is no trial version for ESET Security Ultimate, however, the standard 30-day return policy will apply. After purchasing the Ultimate subscription, you add the activation key in your ESET HOME account and follow the on-screen instructions for installation:

image.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

There is no trial version for ESET Security Ultimate, however, the standard 30-day return policy will apply. After purchasing the Ultimate subscription, you add the activation key in your ESET HOME account and follow the on-screen instructions for installation:

image.png

image.png

Am I correct that the 'ESET Security Ultimate' used to be Smart Security Premium?
And HS Premium 'ESET Internet Security'

Also, the name giving has changed from Internet Security to Home Security, right?

49 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I'm afraid we can't prevent Brave from reading the extension from Chrome or to prevent getting it from Chrome webstore via Brave. The point is not to install it since Brave is not a supported browser. We'll add a notice in the documentation and possibly KB as well.

So, which browser(s) are officially supported?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

According to https://help.eset.com/essp/17/en-US/idh_config_bps.html, supported browsers are; Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

The "Progress. Protected." in Google Chrome still remains and doesn't launch itself/(still) hangs.
Edge I don't use. Firefox is working.

Strange why Brave (and maybe other Chromium-alternatives) are not working. The 'base' (Chromium) is the same, right?

1 hour ago, kidding_guy said:

Am I correct that the 'ESET Security Ultimate' used to be Smart Security Premium?
And HS Premium 'ESET Internet Security'

No.

premium is the new smart security, both with liveguard. ultimate is a new top of the range with vpn.

34 minutes ago, sesk said:

No.

premium is the new smart security, both with liveguard. ultimate is a new top of the range with vpn.

And the 'older' (non-extended) licenses (such as Internet Security and Smart Security Premium) will remain as is - with those feats included at purchase?

No "upgrade" in license, terms, producy name and/or additional features?

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, kidding_guy said:

The "Progress. Protected." in Google Chrome still remains and doesn't launch itself/(still) hangs.

Strange why Brave (and maybe other Chromium-alternatives) are not working. The 'base' (Chromium) is the same, right?

Please wait for an update (ideally in this non-working state), I'm curious, if fix will help you. Otherwise you can send us advanced log.

I'll let you know

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, twm said:

If the other browser are not supported then why is ESET forcefully installing its add-on there?

The extension is installed only into supported browsers. If a particular browser parasitizes another supported browser's extensions, we can't do anything about it.

40 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The extension is installed only into supported browsers. If a particular browser parasitizes another supported browser's extensions, we can't do anything about it.

Okay, then this confusion will unfortunately affect anybody using alternative browsers like Brave, Vivaldi etc.
Maybe put a appropriate warning directly inside add-on settings.

Edited by twm

• Administrators

I couldn't find any evidence that Vivaldi would read Chrome's registry keys and get extensions from there. The BSP extension was not offered to install when launching Vivaldi either.

9 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I couldn't find any evidence that Vivaldi would read Chrome's registry keys and get extensions from there. The BSP extension was not offered to install when launching Vivaldi either.

My experience was different:

vivaldi.png

• Administrators

Ok, I forgot I reverted to a snapshot where the extension was not installed in Chrome. We'll add a notification the help that Brave, Vivaldi and other possible Chromium based browsers are not supported. Most likely that's all we can do.

• ESET Staff
On 11/15/2023 at 5:08 PM, kidding_guy said:

@kidding_guy, do you still have freezed the "Progress. Protected." deck in the Google Chrome extension? If yes, can you please share with us additional logs?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is a BIG difference between this extension not being supported and it not working.

Brave is mostly the same code as Chrome, and almost ALL extension in the Chrome Extension store work on Brave. So why does the ESET one NOT work? Did ESET deliberately disable this functionality because they didn't want to support it, thus depriving paying customers of a tool which could have been left working but unsupported? Or is there something extra in Brave preventing it from working and if so, are there any Brave settings we can use to allow it to start working?

I took a look at the extension's "web permissions" and tried allowing anything that was blocked-by-default, but nothing seemed to help. Also the error message we get on Brave "Connection lost" does suggest that it is something that Brave is blocking rather than something that ESET has disabled.