Secured browser keyboard protection & FireFox - mistyped characters

• ESET Staff
2 hours ago, Jonay said:

Hello

Same problem, but on the gmail.com website. Composing emails works correctly, but when I download a PDF file and save it as in another location on the network, I have the problem with the keyboard. The only solution is to disable the Eset keyboard protection. In Firefox, even if I have the keyboard protect option activated, everything works fine, it only happens to me in Chrome (latest version as of today). I only have the uBlock Origin extension.

Thank you

Thanks for the exact description of how to reproduce the bug!

I am on Microsoft Edge, test without any addon or extension.

right click on any website, click on save as to bring up the file explorer

and as long as the file explorer is active, doesn't matter where I type, it will be a mess.

and like other said, only work around atm is to disable keyboard protection.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

and as long as the file explorer is active, doesn't matter where I type, it will be a mess.

I can confirm this and it also happened when i tried to type this reply. I had to type the message out in notepad and copy paste to get it to work.

Except i can predict what is going to be typed. It is basically running through the keyboard from top to bottom. 1 to = and then qwerty etc. Turning off keyboard protection as mentioned fixes the issue.

• ESET Staff
21 hours ago, Jonay said:

Hello

Same problem, but on the gmail.com website. Composing emails works correctly, but when I download a PDF file and save it as in another location on the network, I have the problem with the keyboard. The only solution is to disable the Eset keyboard protection. In Firefox, even if I have the keyboard protect option activated, everything works fine, it only happens to me in Chrome (latest version as of today). I only have the uBlock Origin extension.

Thank you

6 hours ago, Andy said:

4 hours ago, TheStill said:

I can confirm this and it also happened when i tried to type this reply. I had to type the message out in notepad and copy paste to get it to work.

Except i can predict what is going to be typed. It is basically running through the keyboard from top to bottom. 1 to = and then qwerty etc. Turning off keyboard protection as mentioned fixes the issue.

Issue is fixed on prerelease update channel, please check and let us know, if the problem persist

12 hours ago, constexpr said:

Issue is fixed on prerelease update channel, please check and let us know, if the problem persist

tried the update from the pre-release channel, everything seems to work on my end now.  thanks

20 hours ago, constexpr said:

Hello.

After update from the pre-release channel, now, all works fine! thanks

Hello. In the last three weeks I have suffered sporadically something similar, only happens in the Firefox browser, not in Microsoft Office in any of its programs (neither Word, nor Outlook, nor Excel, nor PowwrPoint...) nor any program in which you can write in. I thought my keyboard was failing, although it would be weird if only failed in Firefox, but seeing this already raises my doubts as to whether I have the same problem. Is it possible?

Best regards.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, AlSky said:

Hello. In the last three weeks I have suffered sporadically something similar, only happens in the Firefox browser, not in Microsoft Office in any of its programs (neither Word, nor Outlook, nor Excel, nor PowwrPoint...) nor any program in which you can write in. I thought my keyboard was failing, although it would be weird if only failed in Firefox, but seeing this already raises my doubts as to whether I have the same problem. Is it possible?

It's possible. Please switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup and see if the issue is gone.

14 hours ago, Marcos said:

It's possible. Please switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup and see if the issue is gone.

Hello and thank you for answering. I do not find in my ESET product the option to download pre-released products. In Spain, version 17 has not yet been released, I still have the 16. Anyway, there seems to be some problems after the installation of version 17, right? For example:

And I have seen in the forum some stuff with Firefox.

Best regards.

• Administrators

V17 has been released worldwide, however, automatic update is currently available only for those who update from the pre-release update channel, however, you can also upgrade to it using the installer from the website.

The issue you are referring to was caused by the fact that upgrade was initially allowed only on systems without Azure Code Signing support. This was fixed and if you attempted to update from the pre-release update channel now, older versions on non-ACS enabled systems would not upgrade to v17.

While we're still working on resolving an issue with a subscription validation notification in gui that affects some users who have upgraded, it can be fixed by deactivating the product from ESET HOME and re-activating it. Once this has been fixed on the backend, we'll enable staggered product updates to v17 again.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

V17 has been released worldwide, however, automatic update is currently available only for those who update from the pre-release update channel, however, you can also upgrade to it using the installer from the website.

The issue you are referring to was caused by the fact that upgrade was initially allowed only on systems without Azure Code Signing support. This was fixed and if you attempted to update from the pre-release update channel now, older versions on non-ACS enabled systems would not upgrade to v17.

While we're still working on resolving an issue with a subscription validation notification in gui that affects some users who have upgraded, it can be fixed by deactivating the product from ESET HOME and re-activating it. Once this has been fixed on the backend, we'll enable staggered product updates to v17 again.

Hello and thank you for the answer.Do you know when the automatic update will be available?

Best regards.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, AlSky said:

Hello and thank you for the answer.Do you know when the automatic update will be available?

Most likely we'll resume manual and staggered automatic updates to v17 next week.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, zoltanthegypsy said:

Enabled pre-release (I think...) and version 17.0.10.0 was installed. Problem as described in OP persists :(

Are you having issues with key scrambling with the Banking and payment protection module 1331? So far it has resolved all such issues reported in this forum, however, there are still some cases that will be addressed in v1332. This issue is not related specifically to v17 and may occur also with v16.

33 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Are you having issues with key scrambling with the Banking and payment protection module 1331? So far it has resolved all such issues reported in this forum, however, there are still some cases that will be addressed in v1332. This issue is not related specifically to v17 and may occur also with v16.

I don't find a Banking... module 1331.  There is a Browser protection module 1331.  For the record, this problem started with regular-update v16 and persists with pre-release-update v17.

And also for the record, it didn't solve _all_ such issues reported... I reported this persistent issue in _ this thread's_ OP.

thanks

Edited by zoltanthegypsy

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff
10 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Problem still persists running browser protection module 1332.  Running "Secure all browsers." Version 17.0.15.0,  Chrome.

Does the problem persist with the same incidence as before, or its better/worse than before? Approx how many mistypes happen in a day? And do you know any "tutorial" to reproduce it or it's really random?

Thanks for info

6 hours ago, constexpr said:

Does the problem persist with the same incidence as before, or its better/worse than before? Approx how many mistypes happen in a day? And do you know any "tutorial" to reproduce it or it's really random?

Thanks for info

Only one mistype happened yesterday.  Unfortunately, the mistype appears randomly.  I will keep any eye out for further mistypes.   Thank you for responding.