ESET EEA 7.3.3600.0 update broke my network

thank you for this thread.

we declared a major incident on Wednesday and experienced the exact same issue of macs with ventura and 7.3.3600 asking for a restart and then no browsing. 
We use jamf and had a pppc config profile targeting ventura macs to allow the web filtering. This config profile in effect means we accept (allow) the web filtering on users behalf. I found that by un scoping this config profile, users could then browse. Similar to what others have said about removing or turning off web proxy filter.

its just very coincidental that Mac OS Sonoma was released the same day.

I feel that Mac OS sonoma has changed some behaviour and eset has made a change to 7.3.3600 to preempt this , but it’s causing this unexpected blocking of the web filter proxy.

to be clear none of our macs were on sonoma.

I was really confused and unsure if it was a task I set to update to 7.3.3600 that caused this or a scan task that updated modules

but I think now eset have changed something preempting a change to Sonoma but lacked regression testing with ventura.

I have a call open with eset support and will be notifying them of this thread.

16 hours ago, e-rally said:

On the machines that are updated to 7.4.1100.0 they are now failing to get updates.

This may be a side effect of the version being pulled?

We're not seeing issues with updates on 7.4. Most, if not all are on today's (09/29) definitions currently.

6 hours ago, karlmikaeloskar said:

Can you confirm what your update settings were? I think my mistake was that I was letting EEA update itself.

In our case (recently migrated to the cloud), there was a global auto-update policy automatically applied to all systems. It cannot be edited:

image.png.c02dd33ddff69b5425cf550a90466ab4.png

We have auto-updates disabled at the client policy as you do above. However the global policy was overriding this and caused them to auto-update anyway.

Hi.

We had no issues with updating from 7.3.3600.0 to 7.4.1100.0 (about 300 computers updated). But we have issues with 7.3.3600.0 on macOS 13.6 and 14.0 (broken network). Now ESET revoked 7.4 from repository and we are not able to update computers to 7.4. And also update macOS to 13.6 or 14.0.

@Marcos Any information, when 7.4 will be re-released and added to repository back?

Any answers from ESET Staff?? Support of macOS looks like total joke. Our security and IT departments now looking for another vendors to migrate 900+ computers from ESET. Constant issues with all 6-7 versions for macOS during last 2-3 years and now complete silence

• Administrators

Users of other vendors have also experienced network issues after upgrading macOS to Sonoma. Similar issues occurred after upgrading to Ventura and Apple addressed them later in a hotfix.

Before upgrading to Sonoma ESET Endpoint should be either upgraded to v7.4 or v7.4 should be installed from scratch after the upgrade.

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Users of other vendors have also experienced network issues after upgrading macOS to Sonoma. Similar issues occurred after upgrading to Ventura and Apple addressed them later in a hotfix.

Before upgrading to Sonoma ESET Endpoint should be either upgraded to v7.4 or v7.4 should be installed from scratch after the upgrade.

99% of our systems were not yet on Sonoma, yet many broke after the auto-upgrade from 7.3 to 7.4. So this issue was not specific to Sonoma but specific to the ESET 7.4 upgrade.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Yes, and how to do it on hundreds of computers if 7.4 removed from ESET repository and only 7.3 left? Create custom packages in Jamf? Or install manually?

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

thank you for the feedback provided.

When it comes to release of the 7.4 to the ESET Repository again, the plan is to do it during this week, I stress the plan 🙂 
A hotfix build will be released, i.e. not just the version, which was there before.

We admit, that the issues mentioned are not directly related to Sonoma, but rather to the 7.4 build, yes we might have named the alert article differently.

I passed your feedback internally to people responsible for the macOS product.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Peter

• ESET Staff

Problem is in automatic mode of the product update in released versions 7.3 and 7.4 too. 

Fix of product update will be in upcoming hot-fix. We must also fix it on released affected versions before we will be able to release mentioned hot fix via product updates channel.

It is crucial to customers to have updated product modules to avoid this problem again, especially 'Mac/Linux support module' must be of version 1048 or higher.

If customer have this problem again because of late module updates, manual installation of hot fix will solve this issue.

On 10/13/2023 at 7:59 PM, Marcos said:

everyone: Explains that the issue is the update pushed from ESET regardless of macOS-version.
Eset: Publishes an article on how to fix the problem.
Marcos: Blames Apple and says other vendors have this problem too.

On 10/17/2023 at 6:42 PM, Robertos said:

Problem is in automatic mode of the product update in released versions 7.3 and 7.4 too. 

Fix of product update will be in upcoming hot-fix. We must also fix it on released affected versions before we will be able to release mentioned hot fix via product updates channel.

It is crucial to customers to have updated product modules to avoid this problem again, especially 'Mac/Linux support module' must be of version 1048 or higher.

If customer have this problem again because of late module updates, manual installation of hot fix will solve this issue.

Thank you!

This is what we have been looking for. Someone understanding the issue and assuring us they know how to fix it. Too bad it took 3 weeks.

• ESET Staff

We could not release hotfix of 7.4 using Program Component Update aka PCU channel in the application because there are still a lot of customers with old version of 'Mac/Linux support module', so if we release it right now than they will face the same PCU problem again.

Already released 7.4 has the same problem with PCU like 7.3 has, but 7.4 has fixed bug with non-working network which was triggered by failed automatic PCU update of 7.3. 

Manual update of 7.3 by released 7.4 is without any problems, this works correctly.

2 hours ago, karlmikaeloskar said:

everyone: Explains that the issue is the update pushed from ESET regardless of macOS-version.
Eset: Publishes an article on how to fix the problem.
Marcos: Blames Apple and says other vendors have this problem too.

Can you link to the ESET article please?