ESET Banking Protection slows browsers

Hello, i am user of ESET Internet Security, latest version.

Since few days ago i've noticed that option for Banking Protection slows down the browsers and make them lagged. It takes very long to open a tab, sometimes more than a 2-3 seconds, and make my browsers be lagged. It happens on every tab, not only on those that are edited as payment websites in options.

I had to disable the option in WEB AND EMAIL. Only option for browsers, not the complete Banking and payment.

It happens same on Chrome or Firefox i am using. When i have opened more tabs it's impossible to "walk" through opened tabs, it freezes with every change of a tab for a few seconds. It's annoying.

With disabled option, everything is fluid as it needs to be.

I hate to have this option disabled, so can it be fixed somehow?

Thank you in advance.

• Administrators

You've mentioned that Banking and payment protection is slowing down the browser, however, at the same time you wrote that disabling web access settings made a difference. If so, then Banking and payment protection is not the culprit and disabling this setting has no effect on the issue, does it?

image.png

Does disabling protocol filtering only while keeping other settings as are make the issue go away?

image.png

No, all the options are enabled, except for disable the secured browser. I've disabled it through advanced options (F5).

When i turn off this option, all back to normal. If i turn it on, it's all lagged in browsers.

I've read through the forum and seen that it's similar to EDGE problem with banking.

As i said, i've noticed it started to happen few days ago, i don't know if there was an update from ESET for this option. I know only that Chrome and Firefox got updated, and then it start to happen. My PC is strong enough to run even newest games with no problem, but with this option enabled it cannot even run simple browser with few tabs :)

Sorry for editing..

All options are ON except the option for Browser protection. if i turn it on, it starts to lag. The browser behaves like it's out of memory (32GB here) or not enough CPU power (CPU is at 3-4% usage).

Turning this option to OFF all is back to normal, the browser flies ;)

Something is worng with this option for sure, it started to happen after the new Chrome and Firefox updates few days ago. Obviously ESET needs a fix to adopt new changes in the browsers code. It's not so noted in Firefox as in Chrome. In Chrome it literally stops/freezes for few seconds when changing tabs. I am talking about the sites that are not in a payment range, so the banking does not need to be enabled (like paypal or some banking sites).

Edited by YoKo

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- reboot the machine
- enable advanced operating system logging under Tools -> Diagnostics in the advanced setup
- reproduce the issue
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector
If the generated archive is too big to upload it here, upload it to a file sharing service and drop me a message with a download link.

Ok, thank you i will do it later when i come home.

I will also provide screenshots which options are enabled and which disabled + log.

Ok, here it is..

Everything work OK if the options are like that:

Full log is on your PM.

If i choose to turn ON Secure All Browsers and/or Enhanced Memory Protection it all goes to lag.

Capture.JPG

Edited by YoKo

• Administrators

First of all, please make sure to uninstall EIS, install it from scratch and activate a trial version. Your EIS was activated using a business trial license issued for another person from the US.

I'm also experiencing a similar issue. For the past couple of days Firefox has become really laggy...especially noticable when starting the browser. Disabling banking protection seemed to fix it for me. I may try reinstalling EIS in the weekend to see if that improves things.

same here, started happening a few days ago. Disabling "Secure all Browsers" and "Enhanced memory protection" brings everything back to normal.

Edited by komu

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having similar-sounding problems in the browsers I use (Firefox and Chrome) since late March.  Originally thought my computer itself was going bad, until on a hunch I uninstalled ESET and found my browser problems all vanished.  Reinstalled ESET and my browser problems returned.

The problems I have all seem to center around how the browser interacts with the rest of my computer:

• Typing into browser text fields, including this one, intermittently lags by up to 5 seconds.
  • Browser tabs often take several seconds to respond to attempts to close them.
  • The entire browser takes awhile to respond to attempts to shut it down.
  • After I request the download of a file, it can take 10 seconds or more before the Windows File Explorer "Save As" dialog appears.

Would logs from the ESET Log Collector be useful, or are you good?

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, David Lambert said:

Would logs from the ESET Log Collector be useful, or are you good?

Yes, please provide ELC logs. Before collecting them, enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support, then launch a browser and reproduce the issue. Next stop logging, collect logs and upload the generated archive here along with a description of the issue that you have reproduced.

I'm confused by log collecting.  There are what look like to entirely separate log collection facilities, one described at https://support.eset.com/en/kb3466-how-do-i-use-eset-log-collector, and the other in ESET Internet Security under Help and Support -> Technical Support.

Am I supposed to run both at the same time?

On top of that, ESET Log Collector has the one button "Collect".  I can press that button, but then if I press "Cancel", the ESET Log Collector erases its log file.  There's no manual way to stop log collecting as far as I can tell.

• Administrators

First you need to generate advanced logs from time when the issue occurs. To enable advanced logging, navigate to Help and support -> Technical support and toggle the appropriate option. Next reproduce the issue and then disable logging.

Then collect collect logs with ESET Log Collector. It may take a while to collect all logs. Do not click Cancel. Once an archive with logs has been generated, upload it here.

In my second attempt, I did less, but the zip file was 190 MB, which is bigger.

On the second attempt, I turned on advanced logging, started Firefox, logged a note to this thread, and stopped the advance logging.

On the first attempt, not only did I start Firefox and log a note to this thread, I also went to python.org and downloaded the pdf for the latest version of python, and the zip file was smaller than on the second attempt.

Please advise.

I uninstalled and reinstalled with no improvement regarding the Firefox + banking protection issue. Sounds like running the logging process is more trouble than it's worth.

Switched to F-Secure with Windows Firewall Control and browsing is much better. Guess I wasted my money on ESET.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, David Lambert said:

In my second attempt, I did less, but the zip file was 190 MB, which is bigger.

You should be now able to upload 200 MB files at maximum. Even if the size exceeds the limit you can upload it to a file sharing service and drop me a private message with a download link.

If temporarily disabling Banking and payment protection in the advanced setup resolves the issue, is it enough to disable just enhanced memory protection or it has no effect on it?

OK, I followed your instructions.  
I started up Google Chrome, typed in a search phrase into Google Search, and did a search.
The letters in the phrase appeared very slowly, but the search results appeared very quickly once the browser responded to my request to submit the search.

eis_logs.zip

Here's another log.

This time, I started up Google Chrome, right-clicked the Google Search page, selected "Save As", and saved that web page to disk.  The Windows save as dialog took forever to appear, I wondered if it would ever appear.

eis_logs.zip

• Administrators

Would it be possible to temporarily uninstall the touchpad software? According to the logs, it attempts to inject C:\Program Files\GlidePoint\glidehok.dll into the secured browser. I'd like to rule out the possibility that the issue is caused by blocking the injection since the dll is untrusted.

I uninstalled it, rebooted, and my browser issues are fixed!  I'm shocked, because I have used that touchpad software for years, ever since I purchased this computer.  These browser issues, which are less than a month old, also vanish when I uninstall ESET and Microsoft Defender takes over.  Where do we go from here?