Do I "have" to create an ESET HOME account?

John Dow
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I don't understand what is "ESET HOME" for.

I can perfectly read what EAV says and is in the screenshot posted below, but I can simply "see and manage" my (only one) EAV license in "ESET - Official Online Store" ( https://buy.eset.com/it/cart/login )

I can see when it expires, and how many (... one) I have.

So why open a new "account" or register in another (maybe useless, I don't know) site? 

I can't find anywhere what is the content of "ESET HOME", maybe I lost the right knowledge base page dealing with it.

Can someone post some screenshots to see what's inside? So that I can appreciate the difference?

Clipboard01.jpg

• Administrators

ESET HOME enables you to manage your licenses or subscriptions as well as devices with ESET products. It also provides quick access to Anti-Theft, Parental Control and Password Manager for those who have ESET Smart Security Premium or ESET Mobile Security or Parental Control for Android.

With the transition to the subscription model it will gain on importance. In the future you should have just one account to ESET HOME and you won't need to have another login to e-store. As for activation, you don't need to know your license key, just connect your ESET product with ESET HOME to activate the license.

You can also install the ESET HOME app on Android and get notifications and warnings from the desktop security product, e.g. if you installed ESET on another family member's device.

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, Marcos said:

ESET HOME enables you to manage your licenses or subscriptions as well as devices with ESET products. It also provides quick access to Anti-Theft, Parental Control and Password Manager for those who have ESET Smart Security Premium or ESET Mobile Security or Parental Control for Android.

With the transition to the subscription model it will gain on importance. In the future you should have just one account to ESET HOME and you won't need to have another login to e-store. As for activation, you don't need to know your license key, just connect your ESET product with ESET HOME to activate the license.

You can also install the ESET HOME app on Android and get notifications and warnings from the desktop security product, e.g. if you installed ESET on another family member's device.

Just curious what you mean by transition to subscription model as eset currently is A subscription e.g. for a year

• 2 weeks later...

Have you found any further information on this, peteyt?  Has Marcos or anyone from eset replied to you?
I have the same question -- and have NO use for the so-called benefits described in eset's public sites and Marcos' post.  As you saliently riposted, we already are "transition[ed] to the subscription model".  I've been subscribing to eset since 2005.  What "transition"?!
I only see it facilitating the aggregation and commodification of my data by eset.

• Administrators
  • Solution

To my best knowledge, subscription is currently available only in the US. In the future, it will be available in all countries and the products as well as the ESET HOME portal will be better adapted to it.

If you don't need to share or otherwise manage your license(s) and do not use Anti-Theft nor Parental Control, you don't need to sign up for ESET HOME now.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Marcos said:

To my best knowledge, subscription is currently available only in the US. In the future, it will be available in all countries and the products as well as the ESET HOME portal will be better adapted to it.

If you don't need to share or otherwise manage your license(s) and do not use Anti-Theft nor Parental Control, you don't need to sign up for ESET HOME now.

Can you clarify what you mean by subscription as cannot see anything anywhere online.

Do you mean that eset will go to a monthly subscription option instead of yearly etc.

That's great, Marcos!  Thank you much!

It's just that eset pushes it so obtrusively I actually felt thwarted in trying to move one of my subscriptions from a former desktop to my newest one.  I even used the 'How're we doing' comment place to complain about it because I couldn't find how to appeal for support outside of creating an unwanted Home Account.  No one's replied yet and I've had other things to do in the meantime; but I'll try again either tonight or tomorrow -- once I've got a full backup and installed some more memory.

Fingers crossed.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, peteyt said:

Can you clarify what you mean by subscription as cannot see anything anywhere online.

Do you mean that eset will go to a monthly subscription option instead of yearly etc.

Since subscription is currently used in the US only, please contact ESET LLC if there's something unclear regarding it. As far as I know, it's yearly subscription and can be de/activated in e-store after logging in.

At this stage when integration of the subscription system is still being worked on and decisions are being made, I'm unable to provide any further details. In the end, the system should bring benefits to users and make renewal seamless and hassle-free.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, NottaTaxThing said:

Btw, here's the support page thwarting me.  Why isn't a non-Home A/C method offered right upfront?

ESET HOME is intended for managing home user licenses. If you manage business licenses, please use ESET Bussiness Account (https://eba.eset.com).

On 1/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, Marcos said:

Since subscription is currently used in the US only, please contact ESET LLC if there's something unclear regarding it. As far as I know, it's yearly subscription and can be de/activated in e-store after logging in.

At this stage when integration of the subscription system is still being worked on and decisions are being made, I'm unable to provide any further details. In the end, the system should bring benefits to users and make renewal seamless and hassle-free.

This sounds like the words subscription and automatic renewal are getting mixed up. 

From what you are describing this is the ability to cancel automatic renewals will be made easier. 

I have a subscription to Netflix I pay monthly but I don't have a subscription to my car insurance that I pay yearly.  

I believe this is what is confusing people. 

Oh, please, can't semantic hair-splitting take a back seat to answering the functional question:  just how does someone free of a Home Account transfer a license from an obsoleted system to its successor? 

Edited by NottaTaxThing
omitted word