Server Security v9

Hi

Is Server Security v9 for Windows due out soon?

I'm interested in using the Burte Force Attack protection for RDP.

Alternatively, is there any reason for not using Eset Endpoint v9 on Windows Server 2016 / 2019.  They are used primarily for RDP, no AD, filesharing etc.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The version 9 is offered for us in ESMC, as an update.

hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/efs/windows/v9/9.0.12012.0/efsw_nt64.msi.changelog.html

Version 9.0.12012.0

• New: Auto-update - opt-out automatic updates of product to the latest version
  • New: Future End User License Agreement amendments and terms variation by notification
  • New: Brute-force attack protection against password guessing for RDP and SMB services
  • Improved: Auto-exclusion of MSSQL temporary database files in non-default location
  • Improved: ESET OneDrive scanner deleted when permissions are not accepted
  • Improved: Improved activation and interactive statuses of ESET Live Guard (EDTD)
  • Fixed: Archived files restored after launching on-demand scan
  • Fixed: Automatic exclusion of files when using a DC role with automatic exclusions enabled
  • Fixed: Issues with reporting protection status to ESET Protect
  • Fixed: Inconsistencies when using the GUI with high resolution screens
  • Fixed: GUI does not start when using Terminal mode
  • Fixed: Email notifications missing in ESHELL
  • Fixed: Vulnerability CVE-2022-27167

Is there any reason for this is not advertised here in the forum, or here? https://help.eset.com/latestVersions/?lang=en

The forum update notice and download links always appear slower than ESMC.

I tried installing on a secondary DC and the DC can't boot after installing. 🤪

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, FRiC said:

I tried installing on a secondary DC and the DC can't boot after installing.

If the system crashes, we'll need a kernel or complete memory dump from the crash. If you are able to start Windows in safe mode, you can use the ESET Uninstall tool to remove ESET Server Security while the issue is investigated and the memory dump analyzed.

Thanks, I managed to get the DC to boot in safe mode, removed ESET with the uninstall tool, then it could successfully finish booting. Event logs didn't seem reveal anything since it appeared to get stuck at a different place every time. Tried installing again with an installer instead of an install task and it worked fine.

After that, I tried installing V9 to another virtual server (not DC) and it got stuck at Applying computer settings after the reboot. Rolled back to the snapshot but strangely enough after booting up again V9 is installed. Probably used checkpoint wrong somehow.

Three others I updated (mixed physical and virtual) went just fine. This is Windows Server 2019 on Hyper-V. Never had this much trouble with updates before.

• 5 weeks later...

What is the status of this critical issue? Version 9 of server security has been out for over a month and the update is still causing servers to hang at the "applying computer settings" screen. This update should be pulled if it is not functional.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SCI said:

What is the status of this critical issue? Version 9 of server security has been out for over a month and the update is still causing servers to hang at the "applying computer settings" screen. This update should be pulled if it is not functional.

@FRiC has the issue been resolved on the server in the mean time?

On 6/6/2022 at 2:26 PM, Marcos said:

@FRiC has the issue been resolved on the server in the mean time?

Any update on this issue?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SCI said:

The only issue that I'm aware of was the one related to processing MUI files and it was already fixed on May 23.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

The only issue that I'm aware of was the one related to processing MUI files and it was already fixed on May 23.

This is for ESET Server Security v9.0.12012.0, the latest version (according to your website) which was released on May 4, 2022. When this update is pushed to a Windows Server 2022 domain controller, the server will get stuck at "Waiting for Computer Settings" forever after the installer restarts the machine.

Since this version predates the May 23 date you referenced, do we need to manually add an exclusion for *.mui files?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SCI said:

Since this version predates the May 23 date you referenced, do we need to manually add an exclusion for *.mui files?

Does the problem persist with the engine released after May 23?

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

The server won't boot with v9 installed, so there's no way for me to test anything released after May 23. I have to restore a snapshot of the entire server with the old ESET version in order to get it back online.

11 hours ago, SCI said:

I tried exluding *.mui which didn't work, and it seems to be for a different product any way. For me it's random which servers (not just dc) it affects, and also rebooting many many times sometimes bring the server back. Servers that didn't get affected the first time may also not boot the next time.

Since a new ESET installs don't require reboots, what I ended up with was removing ESET in safe mode using the uninstaller tool, then clean install. Will see what happens next Patch Tuesday.

5 minutes ago, FRiC said:

I tried exluding *.mui which didn't work, and it seems to be for a different product any way. For me it's random which servers (not just dc) it affects, and also rebooting many many times sometimes bring the server back. Servers that didn't get affected the first time may also not boot the next time.

Since a new ESET installs don't require reboots, what I ended up with was removing ESET in safe mode using the uninstaller tool, then clean install. Will see what happens next Patch Tuesday.

Thanks for the info. We have a lot of servers, so manually doing an uninstall and clean install on each will take too long. Making the issue more complex is that these are Azure VMs, so all we really have are boot diagnostic screenshots to see what's going on. Going the safe mode approach really isn't an option. I guess we'll have to wait until the next build is released.

We seem to have run into this issue as well.  We've been testing 9.0.12012.0 for our on premise servers for a couple of weeks with no reported issues, but we lost 3 AWS VMs (Server 2019 Core) to this issue yesterday.   Upon initial install, the servers were okay, but as soon as they were restarted, they never came back up.  We were able to ping the servers for a little while, but RDP, Remote Management, and even the ESET Management Agent never came up, so we had no way to access them.

20 hours ago, SCI said:

Thanks for the info. We have a lot of servers, so manually doing an uninstall and clean install on each will take too long. Making the issue more complex is that these are Azure VMs, so all we really have are boot diagnostic screenshots to see what's going on. Going the safe mode approach really isn't an option. I guess we'll have to wait until the next build is released.

Yeah, I don't have that many servers and they're all on-premises. Last night a lot of my servers rebooted automatically due to a pending .NET update (oops!), and fortunately they all came back, even the dc's. Don't know if it's a fluke or if the issue was fixed by an engine update.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, Marcos said:

Marcos, since multiple customers appear to be having this same issue, how can we get the devs to look into this?

• Most Valued Members

Are we good now to try the v9?, I have several servers that need to be upgraded but I was afraid since I was reading here

On 6/19/2022 at 12:34 PM, Nightowl said:

Are we good now to try the v9?, I have several servers that need to be upgraded but I was afraid since I was reading here

It's all working well for me now. (9.0.12013.0)