ESET uninstall failed, error message: SoftwareUninstallation: Uninstallation command exited with (0x645): This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. Error code: 0x645

Dear Experts, 

Unfortunately I have to uninstall the ESET from our computers. In same cases I get the following error message:

"SoftwareUninstallation: Uninstallation command exited with (0x645): This action is only valid for products that are currently installed. 
Error code: 0x645, see software-uninstall.log..."

The affected computers are in several countries, so it is not possible to manage the issue directly at the computers. 

ESET PROTECT (Server), Version 8.0 (8.0.1238.0)
ESET PROTECT (Web Console), Version 8.0 (8.0.175.0)

Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you for it in advance.

• Administrators

Please get software-uninstall.log from such machine. I'd recommend opening a support ticket and providing the log along with information how Endpoint was installed. Did you use a software install task to initially install it and possibly to upgrade to newer versions?

The upgrade does not work, the error message is:
SoftwareInstallation: Installation failed with: Fatal error during installation. Error code: 0x643 (0x643), , see software-install.log for more information located at: C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\A

• ESET Staff

I would recommend to collect logs from affected machine via console (diagnostic subsection of specific client details) - it should contain also msiexec logs that might show more details, even that generic MSIEXEC errors seems to be reported.

The uninstall process finished on 594 computers till now and failed on cca. 20 clients.
All of them was initialy installed via SCCM  then managed/updeted by the ESET Protect console.
So there is no difference between the computers exept that the uninstall task failed on a few of them.

• ESET Staff

Thanks, installation/repair logs show some issue with registries or product - is this product actually working properly? Would it be possible to try manual uninstallation on affected machines?
Otherwise I have suspicion that we are attempting to uninstall wrong "application" with different identifiers -> this seems to be an result of SCCM where "wrapper" installation might be created when deploying.

The computer looks problemfree, as I see.
If you think of the uninstall tool in safe mode that is not the way to go. The computers are in more than 20 countryes worldwide, and it is really problematic to reach them in safe mode remotelly.
Unfortunately I have really bad experiences in this matter, the WiFi modems are not working in Safe Mode, lost the connection with the remote client, the user stucked in with an unuseable computer and so on...

• ESET Staff
On 1/28/2022 at 9:18 AM, Zoltan Endresz said:

The computer looks problemfree, as I see.
If you think of the uninstall tool in safe mode that is not the way to go. The computers are in more than 20 countryes worldwide, and it is really problematic to reach them in safe mode remotelly.
Unfortunately I have really bad experiences in this matter, the WiFi modems are not working in Safe Mode, lost the connection with the remote client, the user stucked in with an unuseable computer and so on...

Actually by manual uninstallation I meant from standard user desktop / remote desktop. In case it would not work even from there, I would recommend to open support ticket as it is definitely not a correct behavior in case uninstallation would require use of safe mode, especially not in case product is running normally and there is no obvious reason for corruption.

Could you please give a link for download the version 8.0.2039.3 ?

It seems the 8.1.2037.9 version is available on the download page.
We would like try to use that for uninstall because the message: 

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zoltan Endresz