Stuck Eset Product Update

Go to solution Solved by itman,

Booted PC this morning and noticed that Eset desktop icon spinner constantly running. Mouse hovering over it showed product update running. Problem is it never stopped. After 5 mins. I opened Eset GUI which showed it stuck at 4/5 download:

Eset_Update.thumb.png.202d7ab5c7799eeb493d1f3de003d473.png

Tried to to "Cancel the update" and update progress display disappeared but updating product still in progress. Tried one more time to cancel the update and about 20 secs. later the updating stopped. Strangely then I received Eset desktop notification that latest sig, detection update completed. Verified this was indeed the case. However in Eset "About" status, Detection update component name shows in blue color?

Very weird Eset behavior,

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
34 minutes ago, itman said:

Detection update component name shows in blue color?

If you click it , it sends you to virusradar website , but about why it got stuck I have no idea , but a restart for windows might help , I know you don't need that advice , but that's all in my mind.

I am waiting for the next sig. update to be posted to see if my build will update w/o issue. If not, I will do a system restart.

BTW - the main reason I canceled the update was it was hanging up my PC. Everything was sluggish as hell.

• Solution

Well, this event thankfully was a one off occurrence. Eset just updated to lastest sig. definitions w/o issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar issue.. except mine isnt updating at all..

Mine says Updating product ... . . . . . . . . and thats it.. this is set to automatic.. and looking at the information above that..

Last successful update 19/07/2001 00:57:38

Last successful check for update 19/07/2021 12:02:38

Clicking Cancel update does NOTHING..but it should tell the app to stop trying.. and then allow me to click UPDATE again..

I wish I could say this is the first time this has happened but its NOT.. its the 4th time..

A simple reboot which i've done 3 times before fixed the issue... would come back with user cancelled update.. and then if I manually select UPDATE it will update..

But I shouldnt have to reboot my computer every day / time to do this..i leave my computer on 24/7..

attached screenshot of the actual screen.. those dots would be moving if it was a gif file.

I currently have it EIS disabled due to running a scan for duplicates..

20210719162242.jpg

Edited by andycham28

• Administrators

We'll need you do the following:

- quit any network-aware application
- enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
- run update
- wait at least 5 minutes

If update is stuck at "updating product" and the number of transmitted packets doesn't appear to be growing
- disable logging
- generate a dump of ekrn (adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> create)
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

tried enabling advanced logging but it wont change from disabled..

and i seemed to have fixed it.. without rebooting..

why would CHROME portable stop EIS from updating?..

how i did it.. i killed the Egui.exe and Eguiproxy.exe tasks.. closed Chrome.. and then in the startmenu clicked Eset Security.. and now its updated.. WEIRD,,

20210719171854.jpg

• Administrators

It's weird because:
1, egui and egui_proxy cannot be killed due to being protected by self-defense
2, update is performed by ekrn.exe, not by the above processes.

I would strongly caution against force canceling a hung Eset update.

As I posted in another thread, the canceling activity on my Eset installation resulted in borked HIPS protection. And there wasn't "a peep" from Eset GUI that anything anything was amiss with its HIPS protections. The issue was only resolved via an EIS uninstall, reboot, and re-install.

Edited by itman

• ESET Insiders

For me it occurs at irregular intervals every now and then, with exactly the same side effects as for you Itman. Everything only in the new build.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, itman said:

I would strongly caution against force canceling a hung Eset update.

As I posted in another thread, the canceling activity on my Eset installation resulted in borked HIPS protection. And there wasn't "a peep" from Eset GUI that anything anything was amiss with its HIPS protections. The issue was only resolved via an EIS uninstall, reboot, and re-install.

That's weird. Even developers could not imagine how it could affect HIPS but whatever.

Should you come across an issue with update hanging, please create a dump of ekrn via the adv. setup -> tools -> diagnostics -> create.

An update should be cancelled immediately with the exception of cancelling it during module compilation. Scheduled updates are run with the lowest priority possible so it may take a while for it to take effect (not too long) if you cancel it during the compilation of a bigger module, e.g. engine.

• 1 month later...

A while back I recall seeing an answer to the problem of continually spinning ESET icon showing update in progress when it isn't.   The solution that worked for me was:   Open ESET>Setup>Advanced Setup (lower right corner)>Update>Under Basic - clear the update cache>click OK>Restart your computer and all should be well.   Hopefullly!

Same never-ending product update happens on one of my machines.  Real PITA.  Rebooting is the only thing that gets ESET out of update stuck mode.  Happens periodically.  Probably happens to a great many users and they don't see the sys tray icon spinning and realize the sluggishness is due to ESET.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, Karen2 said:

A while back I recall seeing an answer to the problem of continually spinning ESET icon showing update in progress when it isn't.   The solution that worked for me was:   Open ESET>Setup>Advanced Setup (lower right corner)>Update>Under Basic - clear the update cache>click OK>Restart your computer and all should be well.   Hopefullly!

Gonna have to try that, K2.  TY

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Page42 said:

Same never-ending product update happens on one of my machines.  Real PITA.  Rebooting is the only thing that gets ESET out of update stuck mode.  Happens periodically.  Probably happens to a great many users and they don't see the sys tray icon spinning and realize the sluggishness is due to ESET.

Do you have the latest version of ESET v14.2.24 installed? Are you able to reproduce the issue by manually running update? If so, please enable advanced operating system as well as update engine logging under Tools -> Diagnostics, run update, disable logging and collect logs with ELC.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you have the latest version of ESET v14.2.24 installed? Are you able to reproduce the issue by manually running update? If so, please enable advanced operating system as well as update engine logging under Tools -> Diagnostics, run update, disable logging and collect logs with ESET Log Collector.

I guess you have to ask users if they are running the latest version, but I can't imagine posting here about an issue without having the most current version.  Truth is, when I said it happens periodically, I mean during the last year, at least.  For right now, Marcos, I'm going to give Karen2's suggestion (clearing update cache) a try and see if that helps.  TY for the reply.

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, Page42 said:

I guess you have to ask users if they are running the latest version, but I can't imagine posting here about an issue without having the most current version.

You'd be surprised. I've seen a lot of posts about people having issues using very old versions. Also people complaining about things like getting infected by ransomware and wondering why yet they where using a version so old it didn't come with the ransomware module

mine is trying to do the same,  I had opened all ports that it requires,  still can not reach servers "Esset live  Grid@servers Cannot be reached ,  It happened after last update

License ID: 33D-6BA-5EF
Username: EAV-03166658
Computer name: DESKTOP-KMQA17S
Seat name: Danuta
Product name: ESET Smart Security Premium
Product version: 14.2.24.0
Operating system: Windows 10 Home(64-bit)Version 10.0 (Build 19043)
Machine: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 16315 MB RAM

I have no idea what to do with it. 

37 minutes ago, peteyt said:

You'd be surprised. I've seen a lot of posts about people having issues using very old versions. Also people complaining about things like getting infected by ransomware and wondering why yet they where using a version so old it didn't come with the ransomware module

When I stated that I can't imagine posting here about an issue without having the most current version, I meant doing that myself.  But I can imagine that some others don't have the most current version when they post with an issue.  That's why I said, "I guess you have to ask users".  :)   I consider having most recent product version to be a minimal first step before asking for assistance.  TY for your reply, peteyt

Clearing update cache worked well for me just prior to shutting down that particular machine last night.  Upon boot up this a.m. there was no continually spinning ESET icon showing update in progress when it wasn't. 

This practice brings to mind the possibility of ESET making that a permanent setting option... clearing update cache on reboot.  Maybe there is a good reason to not do that?  I don't know.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Page42 said:

Clearing update cache worked well for me just prior to shutting down that particular machine last night.  Upon boot up this a.m. there was no continually spinning ESET icon showing update in progress when it wasn't. 

I've consulted it with the developer of the updater and he claimed that clearing update cache has no effect on the issue whatsoever. It was the restart that helped temporarily.

As we have already mentioned, this visual glitch will be fixed in v15 soon.

The issue should manifest after waking up the system from sleep/hibernation if the system went to sleep/hibernation during update. Another possibility is when using two update profiles and update from the primary profile fails.