Hello all. I did have a quick look at the FAQ, looking for an easy solution I confess.

This was where I was directed. I desire a 'home user' standalone malware scanner/cleaner and I don't know what's best. I used to go back and forth between two. Ad Aware got bought and busted. And Spybot just didn't behave. Komodo would install on my machine (forget which one), malware bytes alarmed me (forget why)... But I have acquired links (such as the link to ESET) to sites dealing with security. Ergo.

I have been using combofix. I have no idea whether it works. There's zero plain English help. Why on earth that is the case, I'll never know. It looks legit and it certainly acts fast. But my intuition is that even with combofix's unique angle, an additional more conventional, dedicated malware scanner/cleaner might be a good idea. Call it combocombofix.

I don't see 'products' here for Windows desktop/laptop. Yes, I'm blind. I was rather hoping to keep it lean and mean instead of robust. Robust is good, Don't get me wrong. But when everything on offer is robust, you're dealing with a lot of complexity and opportunities for mayhem, I suspect.

But if someone here tells me that I can safely use the smart security suite (and perhaps only operate the malware scanning/cleaning feature), I'll do it. I'm open to any other suggestions. I'm not tech savvy, but tend to pay attention well enough to sometimes appear as though I am. ;-)

I have two laptops. One is a Toshiba Sattelite C650  w i3 chip, 64 bit and 4 gigs of ram. The other is an Acer Apire, 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram, i5 chip.

Thanks in advance.

• Most Valued Members

You cant go wrong with Eset smart security. You can get a free trial to try it out from the download section on eset site :)

Its not overly complicated to use and does not slow your system down much.

Prevention of infection is the most important this is why you should use eset smart security, as where things like combofix/malwarebytes are to clean up after an infection.

• Most Valued Members

If you are not, as you say, "Tech Savvy" you should stop using Combofix. It is a tool that should be used under supervision of an experienced tech.

Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.

Source: hxxp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

I have been using combofix. I have no idea whether it works. There's zero plain English help. Why on earth that is the case, I'll never know. It looks legit and it certainly acts fast. But my intuition is that even with combofix's unique angle, an additional more conventional, dedicated malware scanner/cleaner might be a good idea. Call it combocombofix.

I don't see 'products' here for Windows desktop/laptop. Yes, I'm blind. I was rather hoping to keep it lean and mean instead of robust. Robust is good, Don't get me wrong. But when everything on offer is robust, you're dealing with a lot of complexity and opportunities for mayhem, I suspect.

But if someone here tells me that I can safely use the smart security suite (and perhaps only operate the malware scanning/cleaning feature), I'll do it. I'm open to any other suggestions. I'm not tech savvy, but tend to pay attention well enough to sometimes appear as though I am. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Hello Arby,

Yes, if you have played around with tools like Combofix already, then I would say yes indeed you can safely install ESET Smart Security. Most people are fine with the defaults settings so install it and enjoy the product.  :)

Edited by SweX

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Just so you are aware, you can toggle text mode in the user interface on and off by pressing Ctrl+G. This will make the program easier to use with screen readers like JAWS, Windows-Eyes and so forth.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. I've read the blurbs for ESET Smart Security and the simpler ESET AV. I'm not sure I need more than the ESET AV. Gamer stuff and parental control stuff isn't anything I require. I would only consider the more robust program if that's the one that prevents problems (the way Spyware Blaster does or doesn't). Do I need ESET Smart Security in order to get the preventive features? Thanks.

Okay. I've read the blurbs for ESET Smart Security and the simpler ESET AV. I'm not sure I need more than the ESET AV. Gamer stuff and parental control stuff isn't anything I require. I would only consider the more robust program if that's the one that prevents problems (the way Spyware Blaster does or doesn't). Do I need ESET Smart Security in order to get the preventive features? Thanks.

Which features are you referring to ?

I would go for ESS. You also get the firewall wich is an additional layer, and it's easy to use.

It's the 'preventive' feature I'm looking for. ESS may have a firewall, but I don't want to do something that kills my functionality. As far as I can tell, my windows OS (windows 7 home professional), has a firewall. Do I trust it to be great? Perhaps not. But I don't know whether I need a great firewall. I'm trying to keep it simple. If the bare bones AV doesn't include the 'preventive' measures, then those factors are moot. I'll go with the more robust suite if it indeed 'prevents' trouble.