Updating ESMC via product update -> not updating trace.log

• Most Valued Members

I was logged in to ESMC this morning and when to went and worked on something else, I noticed the system had booted me off from the ESMC and had returned to the log in screen.  I tried to login but got "Login failed: Connection has failed with state 'Not connected'.

I went to the server log and looked through what was wrong only to discover that the last entry in the c:\Programdata\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Logs\trace.log was dated last year.   In the same directory, there's a ConsoleApi that's dated today [13 July 2020].

I checked the disk space and I have ample, so I'm confused as to how the product was updated to the latest version without logging to the trace.log file. 

Question:  What situation would lead to the server not update the trace.log?

That said, the upgrade task failed as it couldn't get the webconsole file from the repository.  Went to the repo and realized that the file was indeed missing.  [probably stemmed from my issue with mirrortool.].

So at the end, I manually updated the webconsole, and things seem to be running ok.

Edmund

• ESET Staff
3 hours ago, ewong said:

I was logged in to ESMC this morning and when to went and worked on something else, I noticed the system had booted me off from the ESMC and had returned to the log in screen.  I tried to login but got "Login failed: Connection has failed with state 'Not connected'.

I went to the server log and looked through what was wrong only to discover that the last entry in the c:\Programdata\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Server\EraServerApplicationData\Logs\trace.log was dated last year.   In the same directory, there's a ConsoleApi that's dated today [13 July 2020].

I checked the disk space and I have ample, so I'm confused as to how the product was updated to the latest version without logging to the trace.log file. 

Question:  What situation would lead to the server not update the trace.log?

That said, the upgrade task failed as it couldn't get the webconsole file from the repository.  Went to the repo and realized that the file was indeed missing.  [probably stemmed from my issue with mirrortool.].

So at the end, I manually updated the webconsole, and things seem to be running ok.

Edmund

Upgrade procedure is performed by ESMC Agent, so both failures and upgrade process should be trace in AGENT's trace.log.

Regardless of that, during upgrade, ESMC Server should be stopped, and that should be recorded in ESMC's trace.log. It is very suspicious there are no entries from this year -> could you possibly verify that permissions do enable ESMC service to write to log and that file is not locked by different process, possibly preventing ESMC from writing to it?

• Most Valued Members
55 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Upgrade procedure is performed by ESMC Agent, so both failures and upgrade process should be trace in AGENT's trace.log.

Regardless of that, during upgrade, ESMC Server should be stopped, and that should be recorded in ESMC's trace.log. It is very suspicious there are no entries from this year -> could you possibly verify that permissions do enable ESMC service to write to log and that file is not locked by different process, possibly preventing ESMC from writing to it?

Oh, the agent's log.   Was looking at the server one.  But re: server's trace.log, I've taken a look at the permissions and  am not sure what the default.  I took a look at the permissions of other files and they're the same.   I'm thinking of deleting that file and hope it'll get regenerated.

Thanks!