7.3.2036 Guidance

• Administrators

You can install it over an older version which would be done also if you send a software install task to clients with an older version of Endpoint.

@Marcos

I have 7.3.2032 already installed, would I expect the new version 7.3.2036 to require a reboot to complete installation.

I am seeing this as the case on my first deployment, I was hoping for future version to not require this, or ideally show the update from the client with the new application update available message.

Marcos - in the past we've been told that a minor upgrade as 2032 to 2036 would not require new install.  Is this still true.

And I'm with Roger on this - having to reboot after a minor upgrade is really unexpected and somewhat painful.

12 hours ago, TheSkymanDC said:

Marcos - in the past we've been told that a minor upgrade as 2032 to 2036 would not require new install.  Is this still true.

And I'm with Roger on this - having to reboot after a minor upgrade is really unexpected and somewhat painful.

Yes. I have heard there will be PCU for update. we  are still waiting the first PCU form Eset. hope the product can catch up with other vendors.

+1

ESET been telling for years PCU is a thing but actually they never release such update? Does this not suppose to be a thing for minor upgrades like this?

And the the reboot warning is fine if this is actually needed but agreed as said above, for minor upgrades this should not be a thing?

Also I notice that the reboot also needs to be a 'warm reboot', we have a lot of clients who TURN OFF and next day TURN ON (shutdown, cold start) but this does NOT trigger ESET to do the module update or whatever the reboot is required for. Users actually need to do the 'warm reboot' for the message to cleared and update to be fully complete.

I actually still have a few remote computers/users who still need to do a active reboot of 7.2 which was pushed in November but realtime protections is at least working.. Now we just recently pushed 7.3.2032 which 90% does reboot but we still see a few endpoints with a reboot warning and now due this this upgrade the realtime module is not active.. which is very painful for a AV software.

Can ESET also look into this? Or should ESET fully upgrade when you also let the user shutdown and do cold start next day? I can most likely reproduce this with ease..

Edited by Brambb

• Administrators

1, An automatic uPCU to newer versions will be introduced soon, it's been our topmost priority. A prerequisite for this is ESMC 7.2. I'm trying to find out if the current v7.2 is already prepared for uPCU or if the next service build will contain it.

2, A reboot is required after upgrade to v7.3. If you have upgraded from v7.3.032 to v7.3.2036, a reboot will not be required.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1, An automatic uPCU to newer versions will be introduced soon, it's been our topmost priority. A prerequisite for this is ESMC 7.2 which has been released just recently.

2, A reboot is required after upgrade to v7.3. If you have upgraded from v7.3.032 to v7.3.037, a reboot will not be required.

is there some new fixed version 7.3.2037 after yesterday release 7.3.2036 ?? Or just typing error??

thanks

32 minutes ago, Marcos said:

2, A reboot is required after upgrade to v7.3. If you have upgraded from v7.3.032 to v7.3.2036, a reboot will not be required.

This is only with the upcoming (u)PCU?

Cause with (ESMC 7.2) normal software install task (without required reboot turned on) I get a reboot required alert on my client:
But this probably just removes v7.3.2032 and installs 2036 and then always requires a reboot? or?

image.thumb.png.525d12448767bcba9fff904c95ab5673.png

Also just to be clear:
The 'warm reboot' is actually a thing? So a shutdown + cold start does not trigger the update/upgrade process ESET required the reboot for?

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Not too bothered but i get a message that it's recommended 

Computer restart recommended  ESET Security Product has been updated successfully. Restart your computer for all changes to take effect.

• Administrators

There is a difference between updates when a reboot is mandatory (e.g. when protection will malfunction after upgrade) which is indicated in red and when a reboot is recommended (indicated by the yellow notice). The thing is when drivers change the old ones stay loaded until the next restart and old drivers and new service and binaries may not play nice together, especially if there is a difference in the major version (5,6 vs 7) or if substantial changes were made under the hood (legacy versions up to v7.2 vs 7.3 with changes in internal communication due to changes in Windows 10).

However, the machine won't restart automatically, especially not if the notice is yellow.

When the so-called microPCU program updates become available, this won't be an issue anymore since updates will be installed after a computer restart.

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

If you have upgraded from v7.3.032 to v7.3.2036, a reboot will not be required.

Of the 30 test machines I've upgraded from v7.3.2032 to v7.3.2036 only 2 have had a yellow restart recommended alert. All the rest have had a red restart required alert

2 hours ago, Command IT said:

Of the 30 test machines I've upgraded from v7.3.2032 to v7.3.2036 only 2 have had a yellow restart recommended alert. All the rest have had a red restart required alert

That's about what I'm seeing here.   I'd be interested to know what the difference is.

17 hours ago, Brambb said:

Also I notice that the reboot also needs to be a 'warm reboot', we have a lot of clients who TURN OFF and next day TURN ON (shutdown, cold start) but this does NOT trigger ESET to do the module update or whatever the reboot is required for. Users actually need to do the 'warm reboot' for the message to cleared and update to be fully complete.

That's Windows 10 fast startup. Disable it in settings or in GPO to make shut downs behave "normally".

That make's sense cause not every endpoint behaved like this. I remember those 'hibernate' shutdown madness in Win8, I though W10 changed the shutdown behavior to be a proper shutdown again, at least in my experience, but there may be a lot of installations where it is not behaving like that.. Thanks for the suggestion, will definitively look into this!

21 hours ago, TheSkymanDC said:

That's about what I'm seeing here.   I'd be interested to know what the difference is.

Pushed around 1000 out yesterday with 35% red restart and 65% yellow restart, so the reality ended up better than the test sample, but that's still a large number of red restarts

Edited by Command IT