Allow users to set profile in endpoint security

hiker86

Hi,

is there a way to let users manually select a firewall profile to use in the ESET endpoint security client interface? I don't see a way to do it, but it was asked by one of our Directors.

thanks!

Edited by hiker86
clarification

• Administrators

There are some per-user settings, especially those concerning gui. Other settings cannot be customized per user.

Firewall profiles can be switched to automatically based on various network properties, not based on the current user:

image.png

I'm using dynamic assignment based on SSID right now. I was just wondering if a user could manually sent a different profile.

Edited by hiker86

53 minutes ago, hiker86 said:

I was just wondering if a user could manually sent a different profile.

Assuming different firewall profiles have been set up, the following is how to switch a firewall profile per Eset online help. The quote is from EIS, but I assume EES works the same way. The main question is if this is something you want to allow your users to do:

A network adapter can be set to use a profile configured for a specific network when it is connected to that network. You can also assign a specific profile to use when on a given network in Advanced setup (F5) > Network protection > Firewall > Known Networks. Select a network from the list of Known networks and click Edit to assign a firewall profile to the specific network from the Firewall profile drop-down menu. If that network has no assigned profile, then the adapter's default profile will be used. If the adapter is set up not to use the network's profile, its default profile will be used regardless of which network it is connected to. If there is no profile for a network or for adapter configuration, the global default profile is used. To assign a profile to a network adapter, select the network adapter, click Edit next to Profiles assigned to network adapters, edit the selected network adapter and select the profile from the Default firewall profile drop-down menu.

Edited by itman

wow that is an awesome reply thank you. I agree I don't really want users to be able to control the profile or rules -- defeats the purpose of an endpoint security product. That being said, it looks like that assumption is baked into EES, there is no option to pick an adapter/network interface in that client. makes sense really. thanks again for your input, works pretty much like I would expect just wanted to makes sure I wasn't missing something

2 hours ago, hiker86 said:

That being said, it looks like that assumption is baked into EES, there is no option to pick an adapter/network interface in that client.

If users can access endpoint security firewall settings, they can do anything they want including creating rules, profiles, you name it:

Eset_Firewall.thumb.png.6a70e756a5545184647a85cbde67f1ab.png

Edited by itman