How fast is ESET at blocking new malwares via Live grid that has already infected another ESET user

SeriousHoax

Well, what I mean is, recently I ran a fresh malware on Sanboxie with Windows Defender installed. WD failed to detect this malware and the malware also created startup entries. 2 minutes later I tried to delete the contents of Sandboxie and as soon as my pc accessed that file again, WD notified me and deleted the threat. I re scanned the sample on my pc and WD detected that as well while 2 minutes ago it didn't. So, probably after executing the malware WD sent the sample to the cloud and their AI sent back a verdict that the file was malicious so WD detected it later and also seems like a signature was saved locally. AVs like Kaspersky is pretty fast in similar scenarios in my experience but that takes more time. Maybe 10-15 minutes or more I'm not sure. Microsoft claims that they only require few milliseconds. I was more or less skeptical about it but from the above experience it seems they are right about it as in my particular case it was less than 2 minutes.

My question is, how fast is ESET in such case with the help of Live grid? In a official video from few years ago I think they said 15 minutes. My post is not about comparing ESET with Windows Defender. I came across this yesterday so was just wondering, that's it.

36 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

WD failed to detect this malware and the malware also created startup entries.

Appears WD's block-at-first-sight and resultant cloud scan failed to detect the malware. Not surprising since the default scan time is 10 secs.

36 minutes ago, SeriousHoax said:

My question is, how fast is ESET in such case with the help of Live grid? In a official video from few years ago I think they said 15 minutes.

Doubt you will get a specific time range from Eset. My best guess is it is dependent upon LiveGrid server load and other factors. I also suspect that WD Azure cloud server full submission scan and determination varies likewise. One thing that is known for sure is Microsoft's Azure cloud AI server network is substantially larger than Eset's LiveGrid server network.

Edited by itman

14 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears WD's block-at-first-sight and resultant cloud scan failed to detect the malware. Not surprising since the default scan time is 10 secs.

I see. That makes sense.

14 minutes ago, itman said:

Doubt you will get a specific time range from Eset. My best guess is it is dependent upon LiveGrid server load and other factors. I also suspect that WD Azure cloud server full submission scan and determination varies likewise. One thing that is known for sure is Microsoft's Azure cloud AI server network is substantially larger than Eset's LiveGrid server network.

Since their cloud AI server is bigger, they are able to process more files at a time than surely any other AV which has such protection. Hmm that's understandable.

Ok I found the video: Cloud malware protection system

It says typical response time is under 20 minutes. So like you said there's other factors too so I guess I got my answer. Thanks.