How client / server works

Previously I used proxy for clients that were on the same lan within my company.
I have updated my server to version 7 new SMC, and reading the help I see that they updated the communication protocol.
The question I have is that my clients are within the same lan and same IP frame, but they have no internet connection.
Should I use proxy to connect to the SMC and update signatures and modules? Or is it not necessary while they are on the same lan and same plot?

• ESET Staff
2 hours ago, sanlucas said:

Should I use proxy to connect to the SMC and update signatures and modules? Or is it not necessary while they are on the same lan and same plot?

There is no need to use proxy in case client can connect to ESMC server directly.

• ESET Staff

However, if the clients do not have internet, proxy should be used to tunnel the communication with ESET services, like LiveGrid, licensing and for updates. However for replication layer, it´s not needed. 

Mmm see if I understand correctly.
My PCs do not have internet access, but if they arrive locally at the ESMC7 server, that is, the Server sees the clients and vice versa.
I understand that if clients have access to the server could I use it to update etc?
If I use the installers generated from the server with your agent, will 3 things happen?

1- I will not be able to activate the antivirus?
2 - I will not be able to download updates?
3 - I will not be able to update modules, versions, etc.?
4-I will not be able to run from the Server Tasks on clients?

Therefore, in order to have everything correctly, I must use the proxy that is configured on the ESMC7 Server and configure the clients, even though they are on the same LAN?

I created the installer + agent + license for windows XP version 6.5.2132.2
I installed it and finished everything ok.
But I don't activate the license and it doesn't update either.
The client has no internet connection but can connect locally with the ESMC 7 Server.

Attach trace.txt of the client.

trace.log client.rar

• ESET Staff

ESMC server itself does not serve as "update server" neither "licensing server" for your clients. They still need to contact ESET cloud infrastructure, to be activated, use LiveGrid, or get module updates. 

You have two options: 

1. allow the internet on your machines
  2. use a proxy server, to tunnel connections to ESET servers. You can either use your own , already existing proxy, or install ESET provided Apache HTTP proxy (which is configured to allow ESET-related services). You will then have to configure the agents / endpoint clients, to communicate via this proxy.  Relevant instructions are in this KB article: https://support.eset.com/kb6750/
Edited by MichalJ

Excellent response MichalJ.
I recommend adding this explanation in the manuals and help, because it is not clear and generates confusion.
I will use the proxy that is recommended in the installation of the ESMC.
Thank you.

Ok Peter_J, but Michalj resume excelent!!! 😉

ESMC server itself does not serve as "update server" neither "licensing server" for your clients. They still need to contact ESET cloud infrastructure, to be activated, use LiveGrid, or get module updates.

😊

Thank You!