Task to upgrade to latest version?

Hello,

So I was reviewing the tasks in ECA, and noticed that there doesn't seem to be an option to setup a task to upgrade to the "latest" version automatically. You have to select the specific version and re-create the task every time.

Is there a way to create a task that would run nightly, and upgrade and endpoints that are not running the latest version, and automatically upgrade them and reboot that machine?

It would be nice if I didn't have to re-create the task everytime a new version was released, but have a task that automates this process (kind of one of the points of having the ECA... isn't it?)

• Administrators

That is not possible, however, we plan to start releasing automatic program updates for Endpoint soon.

• ESET Staff

@OrthoC Than you for your feedback. Indeed, you are right, that´s the long term goal to achieve completely "careless" environment for our customers. As of now, the ecosystem consist of three components: 

1. ECA server - we care about the upgrades
  2. ECA Management Agent - there is a task to initiate an upgrade of the agent, when a new version is available. This one can be easily triggered from the main dashboard, by clicking on the "red" portion of the chart, or from the dashboard "installed applications"
  3. Security Product - as Marcos correctly stated, there is a "micro PCU" functionality implemented, that we will be enabling soon. You can configure it for Windows Endpoints here in the policy, and that would mean, the moment we release, we will automatically either download or download and update the Endpoint program. 

Long term goal is to remove also the point number 2 and let agents automatically update to the latest version as well. 

PCU.png

For ESET staff...

Please take care for automatic language detection when coding for auto-upgrade. When creating tasks for update in my ESMC VM v7, some of my Windows 7 Rom endpoints are selecting English version for upgrading instead of Romanian, depending how soon agents are connecting to ESMC and the moment you release a new version. After a few hours and checking for that specific desktops seems that upgrading tasks do the right thing.... Repository is selected to Automatic so the problem might be at sync. somewhere... 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, cgal said:

Please take care for automatic language detection when coding for auto-upgrade.

I'm afraid I don't understand what the issue is. I take it you have Romanian version of Endpoint installed. When a new version is available, you create a software install task, select the appropriate product in Romanian and send the task to clients. Is the issue that the Romanian language changes to a different one after upgrade?

I wouldn't call it careless per-se. Its time availability.  In smaller companies like mine (50-100 users), were big enough that its a chore to manage all end-points, but too small to justify one of the much more expensive centrally managed AV solutions for enterprises of 500+ endpoints.  Commonly, for companies of this size, you have people like me, who are actually doing 2 or more jobs, since they cannot yet justify a full-time position for IT management. That means that single person has to manage, security, networks, storage, backups services, workstations and herding the cats (employee's). This is A LOT of systems to manage. So the more you can automate these day-2-day processes of having updates automatically pushed, and updated, maybe with just a report email, means I don't have to remember to check on my AV manager daily to see if there is updates, but know that I can rely on it to report to ME when there is a problem/warning/issue that actually requires my real attention.

Automation is not an enemy, nor "lazy".

• ESET Staff

@OrthoC Ok, so no "care-less" but "effortless" :)  We are working hard to design applications that will be simpler and would require fewer clicks, fewer steps, and fewer time in general to work with them. And automation is one of the paths we will for sure follow. This exactly shows us, how important this is! 

On 7/17/2019 at 11:04 PM, Marcos said:

I'm afraid I don't understand what the issue is. I take it you have Romanian version of Endpoint installed. When a new version is available, you create a software install task, select the appropriate product in Romanian and send the task to clients. Is the issue that the Romanian language changes to a different one after upgrade? 

E.g. when 2053 update show up 2-3 desktops shows on ESMC gui that next upgrade for an individual push task is from .2045 ro to .2053 en, despite the fact that all are win 7 ro prof desktops with EES 7.1. ro 32 or 64 bits. After some time at least one of that desktops  suggested update revert to ro.

It doesn't bother me to much as I have a lot to do here (like OrthoC...). By the way, ESMC VM self agent is reported outdated but refuse to update itself.  I discovered today that after update packages on ESMC VM last week , I can't create installation packages no more.  I will come back with details as time permits.