ALERT! Windows 10 1903 incompatibility with ESSP secure data feature

Just got off the phone with ESET support, and the Advisory for the ESET Endpoint Encryption and Windows 10 1903 should eventually be updated to include ESET Smart security premium, but until then, I am notifying all users here.

If you use Eset Smart Security Premium's Secure Data feature on Windows 10 v1903 and certain other third party software such as Condusiv Diskeeper 18 Professional, you will run into non recoverable BSOD at startup of the OS. 

the BSOD stop code is 'K_Mode Exception Not Handled'

Windows will only boot into safe mode 

the only way to recover from the BSOD is too temporarily uninstall ESSP using the ESET uninstaller from here ->(https://support.eset.com/kb2289/) <- and uninstall ESSP temporily. although removing the offending third party software only will also fix the issue, this is usually not possible due to the fact that the Microsoft Installer service will not run under windows safe mode. after windows is back up and running again, you may reinstall ESSP, but for the time being, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, TURN ON THE SECURE DATA FEATURE.

Edited by cybot

• ESET Moderators

Hello @cybot / All

the Secure Data feature of ESET Smart Security premium is not affected as it does not contain the affected driver.

So you can use the ESSP and Secure Data without any issues even after upgrade to the latest version of Win 10.

Peter

Not true.  I am in contact with ESET Technical support technical management team they and I have found that enabling the secure data feature in ESSP, while Condusiv Diskeeper 18 Pro is installed, results in a 0x1e K_mode_Exception_not_handled BSOD which does not allow the system to boot until the ESET uninstaller is run from safemode. the case is actively being investigated.  case #285912

according to the support tech, endpoint encryption and ESSP's secure data feature both use the same software, originally made by DESLock.

Also found out just today, that the Sysinspector crashes on load. you can create sysinspector logs, but you can not view them. I will be creating a separate post about that issue.

Edited by cybot

• ESET Moderators

Hello @cybot

yes the SecureData feature of ESSP and ESET Endpoint Encryption are based on former Deslock+ technology.

the SecureData feature of ESSP is not affected by the issue described at https://support.eset.com/alert1/ 

When it comes to BSOD related to "Condusiv Diskeeper 18 Pro" I do not have any info on it, but BSOD's can be usually quite well investigated from the complete memory crash dumps so just have it checked by the ESET tech support team.

Regards, Peter