1803 to 1809 & ESET

After Clk'ing - Chk for Updates - I repeatedly had the 1809 Update get STUCK at "Installing 91%" UNTIL I DISabled ESET Protect/FW & All other Security Apps.

MOST "solved" posters UNinstalled their AV and Unchk'd all Non-MS members in the Task Mgr Startup Tab.

Google the scenario IF problems and there are other 91%'ers who solved it. You experts know this but this is mainly for us amateurs.

In my 1809 upgrade failures, it wasn't Eset that was the culprit but having 1803 Virtualization enabled. Disabling that feature in the BIOS allowed the 1809 upgrade to proceed w/o issue.

There have been numerous issues related to the 1809 upgrade. I have had Eset installed in every Win 10 Feature upgrade to date w/o issue.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Also you wrote: " UNTIL I DISabled ESET Protect/FW & All other Security Apps". The question is if it was enough to uninstall ESET for the issue to go away or the other security applications you mentioned. We intensively tested upgrade from RS4 to RS5 and didn't encounter any issues with ESET installed.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:17 AM, Marcos said:

Also you wrote: " UNTIL I DISabled ESET Protect/FW & All other Security Apps". The question is if it was enough to uninstall ESET for the issue to go away or the other security applications you mentioned. We intensively tested upgrade from RS4 to RS5 and didn't encounter any issues with ESET installed.

I didn't have to Uninstall ESET, just Disable both modules, along with Mbam Pro & SuperAS Pro. Twice Stuck at 91% until I Disabled all 3 is the Only point.

I wasn't blaming ESET, just stating what worked for me.

Maybe one of the other 2 was the culprit but it's too important to try Disabling B4 Uninstalling an AV, etc. -  AS Many other post-ers said they did and likely would influence a non-expert reader to do the same.

Edited by COStark26

22 hours ago, Marcos said:

ESET and MBAM Pro generally may not play nicely together regardless of OS updates.

Would this be like ESET & Mbam arguing at the gate and a bad guy slips in un-noticed - OR - files are slow to open / browser gets choppy, sites = error page etc.

I've Never had a visible issue with all 3 Real-time, although SuperAS Real-time has been OFF a good while.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to read this. I only have Eset Antivirus but I am having a heck of a time getting updates for Windows 10 Pro 1803 and 1809. I can get the security updates but the program updates all fail. I have tried for 2 weeks and no luck. Mine get to 100% installed and then an error message pops up saying the updates can not be installed. Reverting back to prior installation. (Not exact wording) I've tried just about everything posted on the internet to fix this. No dice. I did disable Eset but the updates still failed at the same place. The only thing I haven't done yet is uninstall Eset. I am going to try this either today or tomorrow when I have the time. I have read that Eset had caused problems with updates before and Eset had to come up with a solution. Maybe it's possible the same is happening again. Anyway it's worth a try since I have tried everything else and it won't work.

No dice. Cumulative Program Updates (1803 to 1809) still failed even after uninstalling Eset. Even 1803 cumulative updates failed. Security Updates install ok. So I don't believe it's an Eset problem. itman where in your bios did you find the virtualization setting for 1803? I looked in mine and I can't find it anywhere. I would like to try your suggestion because everything else I have found on the internet has failed. My computer has had Windows 10 Pro since it came out. All updates have worked fine until I got to 1803 build 17134.407. After that they all fail. Nothing on my computer has changed except adding a few Steam games over the years. I am lost on this one.

3 hours ago, ram1220 said:

So I don't believe it's an Eset problem. itman where in your bios did you find the virtualization setting for 1803?

It is usually located Advanced BIOS Features section. However on PCs with an Intel motherboard or processor, the settings can be a bit hard to find:

Enabling the virtualization extensions in BIOS

Note

Many of the steps below may vary depending on your motherboard, processor type, chipset and OEM. See your system's accompanying documentation for the correct information on configuring your system.

Power on the machine and open the BIOS (as per Step 1).

Open the Processor submenu The processor settings menu may be hidden in the Chipset, Advanced CPU Configuration or Northbridge.

Enable Intel Virtualization Technology (also known as Intel VT) or AMD-V depending on the brand of the processor. The virtualization extensions may be labeled Virtualization Extensions, Vanderpool or various other names depending on the OEM and system BIOS.

Enable Intel VTd or AMD IOMMU, if the options are available. Intel VTd and AMD IOMMU are used for PCI passthrough.

Select Save & Exit.

If your PC is an OEM; Dell, HP, etc. the manufacturer support web site should have documentation pertaining to BIOS/UEFI settings. Note that on some older Intel processors used in Dell PCs as one example, the processor doesn't support vitualization. Hence, no BIOS setting for it.

In Win 10, type "System Information" in the desktop toolbar search window. Then click on System Information.  Scroll down to the "Hyper-V - Virtualization enabled in the firmware" setting. If the setting is set to "yes," then your processor supports virtualization and it is enable. If the setting is "no," then virtualization is not your problem.

The following applies to Win 10 1803/1809 only.

A simple way to determine if virtualization is enable is:

1. Open Windows Defender Security Center - View Security Dashboard.

2. Select Device Security.

If you see "Core Insolation" displayed, then virtualization is supported and enabled. If Core Isolation is missing, then either your PC doesn't support virtualization or, it is not enable in the BIOS/UEFI.

Edited by itman

Thanks. I have an AMD CPU and a Gigabyte MB. It's a homebuilt system. I'll look again. Still having issues doing updates. Even if I try an iso on a thumb drive. I get an error message saying that MS can not determine if my computer can run Windows 10. I've been running it since it came out. I might just stay on 1803. I am so tired of trying to get this thing to update. Thanks for the help.

Edit

My system information shows Virtualization-based Security is not enabled. All the Hyper V settings(4 of them) all say yes. I'll check the BIOS closer again.

Edited by ram1220

1 hour ago, ram1220 said:

I have an AMD CPU and a Gigabyte MB.

I also have an AMD CPU and Gigabyte motherboard.

On the installed GA-870A-UD3 board, the virtualization setting is under the Advanced BIOS Features section and clearly labeled "Virtualization."

On a GA-990FXA-UD3 board I have yet to install, such is not the case. The virtualization setting is under the Advanced CPU Features section and is titled "SVM."

Refer to your Gigabyte motherboard manual BIOS/UEFI settings and look for the wording "virtualization" in the setting description rather than trying to find a setting titled "Virtualization."

All the Hyper V settings(4 of them) all say yes.

This means your motherboard is compatible with Win 10 Hyper-V and that virtualization is enabled in the BIOS/UEFI. As such, "Core Insulation" is enabled in Win 10 1803. BTW - there Is no way to disable this other than disabling virtualization in the BIOS/UEFI. 

Edited by itman

Thanks itman. Yes I found the virtualization setting yesterday and it was labeled SVM. Once I turned this off I booted up into Windows 10 pro and reran System Information. I still had 2 of the 4 items at the bottom of the page pertaining to VM that still had yes. The other 2 said no. But I couldn't find a way anywhere in the BIOS or Windows to turn these remaining 2 settings off. I logged in as Amdinistrator (My user name also has full admin privileges) and tried to run Windows Updates again. I showed 2 cumulative updates for Win 10 Pro 1803. Both failed again at the same place as usual. 100% installed with the error message that updates could not be installed. Reverting Windows back to previous build. (Not exact wording) I then just for grins tried to install 1809 through a bootable thumb drive. I received an error message that says We can not determine if this PC can run Windows 10. Ridiculous since I am already running Windows 10. So at that point I just gave up. Other than a clean install after 1903 comes out I have no idea how to fix this. I work on computers and have been building them since 1996. I just can not figure this one out. I really don't want to do a format and clean install since I have so many programs and files. But I don't see any other way to fix the update issues with this computer. I might try uninstalling Eset again using the uninstall tool in safe mode. When I tried a clean boot yesterday there was no way I was able to disable Eset. It just wouldn't allow me to do it. And by that I mean in the startup menu. I was able to pause Eset through the program. But running an MSCONFIG and trying to disable Eset that way I was unsuccessful.

Edited by ram1220

Since your 1803 Win Updates are failing, it is reasonable to assume the Win Update 1809 Feature Upgrade will fail. Suggest you run in 1803 the Win Updates Troubleshooter as shown by the below screenshot:

WU_Troubleshoot.thumb.png.377fb3b382cea4cabb7a268cd0741780.png

If this fixes the normal 1803 Win Update issues, I would then try the 1809 Feature Upgrade via Win Updates.

If it fails again, I suggest an in-place upgrade to 1809 as described here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/bork-tuesday-any-problems-yet.370217/page-198#post-2802265 . This is what I used after multiple 1809 Feature Upgrade via Win Updates failures. It was the "smoothest" Win 10 Upgrade to date and I will be using this procedure from now on. Note: When performing this make sure virtualization is disabled in your BIOS. BTW - it is disabled as long as System Information "Hyper-V - Virtualization enabled in the firmware" setting states "No" which it appears is the case based on your last posting. Don't worry about the settings for Hyper-V.

Also I am done with this thread, since it is totally off topic in regards to Eset related matters.

itman thank you for all your help. Yes this is a bit off topic. Just wanted to let you know that I had already tried your last suggestion about the in place upgrade. I tried 3 times and that's when I get the message that "We don't know if Windows 10 can run on this PC." Crazy because I am already running Windows 10. I am giving up at this point. Just going to stay on 1803. Thanks again.

In case anyone is following this topic. This is my last post on it. The problem was Eset Antivrus. I uninstalled it in safe mode for a second time. Rebooted the computer and all update worked like a charm. I will probably just keep using Windows Defender now since there is still a problem with Eset that has been going on now for over a year. I wasted 3 weeks on this problem that belonged to Eset. Thanks to all that helped out!

43 minutes ago, ram1220 said:

This is my last post on it. The problem was Eset Antivrus. I

I will say this.

I never had any Win 10 normal update issues with Eset installed. Also when I performed my 1809 in-place Feature upgrade, Eset was installed. So I would say there was a combination of issues with your installation that lead to your issues. 

• Administrators

We extensively test upgrades of Windows 10 to newer version with ESET installed and never experienced issues that hadn't been fixed prior to the final release of the new version.

If you are able to reproduce it, the best would be to create an image of the disk and provide it to ESET for replication and debugging.

On 4/7/2019 at 10:38 AM, Marcos said:

We extensively test upgrades of Windows 10 to newer version with ESET installed and never experienced issues that hadn't been fixed prior to the final release of the new version.

If you are able to reproduce it, the best would be to create an image of the disk and provide it to ESET for replication and debugging.

Never? You might want to do a past search of your forums to maybe a year ago. People were having issues updating Windows 10 and Eset blamed the customer. After a bit of a heated debate for a while Eset finally admitted their problem and patched the program which fixed the issue. Eset is a good program. But I get so tired of the customer always being blamed. In my case every setting I had changed trying to get Windows 10 to update was set back to it's original state. Only after uninstalling Eset in safe mode with your uninstall tool did Windows 10 update properly. At that point the only thing changed was that Eset was uninstalled. Anyway I am finished with this topic. I have reinstalled Eset until my subscription expires. I have until then to decide whether to keep it or try another product. This constantly defending Eset has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Administrators

People were having issues updating Windows 10 and Eset blamed the customer. After a bit of a heated debate for a while Eset finally admitted their problem and patched the program which fixed the issue.

I was able to find only the following topics concerning issues with Windows updates, however, none of them turned out to be caused by ESET.  Therefore I will appreciate if you post links to the issues you were referring to.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/15238-windows-updates-not-installing-using-eset/

https://forum.eset.com/topic/15309-win-update-4093118repeating/

To my best knowledge, we never blamed customers or other companies for issues without a proof and I haven't done so recently either. We are open to constructive discussion and troubleshooting various issues, however, this cannot be done without the help of users who experience issues.