Windows Updates not installing using ESET

I am experiencing a problem with windows updates not installing - I get error code 8024402C and 8007054F - another forum I was reading up on suggested it was ESET that was the problem and that the solution was to allow a port in ESET settings. The forum failed though to say which port. How do I solve this problem?

• Administrators

Do you use default ESET's settings without any custom HIPS and firewall rules? Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? If not, what about temporarily uninstalling ESET?

Hello Marcos

Yes I use the default settings of ESET. I ended up disabling HIPS and self defense last night and still had errors with updates. I then completely disabled ESET protection and firewall and still had issues with updates, so now I'm not sure it is an ESET problem. Would uninstalling it be any different to disabling it?

• Administrators

If the problem persists after uninstalling ESET, you will rule it out. Otherwise we would continue with investigation of the issue.

Hello,

Yup, same problem here; I think EIS is blocking WU

10 Times tried to download last patch update and April WU did not install no matter what

04WinUP.jpg.f61d4c6d014a299b2d406df4c3f00922.jpg

05WinUP.jpg.173fa86e749b4b525a3ec4e89c9eeb46.jpg

Tried with Windows Update MiniTool no luck :angry:

06WinUP.jpg.805a2996ce64f39e73bbb4bd227febf2.jpg

Finally. someone in a forum suggest to download  it using the Media Creation Tool

But first I had to uninstall any AV

When I tried to uninstall EIS I got a BSOD in a loop:

07WinUP.png.373c9b5dd4306861b5bed9bdb1b4a5b5.png

I had to format my HD and install again Windows 10, running only Windows Defender Antivirus :(

All the patches downloaded without any issue

Now I am afraid to install EIS until you finish with the investigation of the issue. 

No issues: Windows 7 + WU + EIS

Thanks

Came

Edited by camelia

• Administrators

Windows Updates are excluded from https scanning so ESET should not prevent them from being downloaded. We are not aware of any issues with Windows updates that would be caused by ESET.

12 hours ago, camelia said:

Finally. someone in a forum suggest to download  it using the Media Creation Tool

Appears that person didn't know what they were talking about.

You can download Windows updates directly from the Windows Catalog Update web site here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx . Enter your OS and ver. in the search box; e.g. Windows 10 1709. Also using this search criteria, the cumulative updates are not shown for some reason. So you will have to enter Windows 10 cumulative for example. Finally, always ensure you download updates only for your OS, ver., and processor e.g. x(86) or x(64).

Edited by itman

I have yet to find the time to uninstall ESET - just been too busy - I am worried though about uninstalling and having a vulnerable system.

I have now uninstalled ESET and then did the updates. Still no joy. The update it found and was trying to install was 2018-04 Security monthly rollup for windows 7. My laptop has not installed any of these roll ups since the first one (2018-02) failed. The error given on the update is 8007054F - I have no idea what to do now.

Windows updates.PNG

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

Windows Updates are excluded from https scanning so ESET should not prevent them from being downloaded. We are not aware of any issues with Windows updates that would be caused by ESET.

3 hours ago, galaxy said:

With Windows updates, there are no problems so far

Thanks, installing EIS on my computers running Windows 10 :D

Where is the tool to uninstall EIS? :ph34r:

Came

Edited by camelia

I had this problem awhile back.  I could not get it figured out.  What I did was sit it out and evenually it installed the updates.  Just my experience.  KOR-

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All

I finally found the solution to my problem: my laptop was missing a registry entry: winevt

Once I put that in, all updates were successful!

On 4/17/2018 at 11:23 AM, Cindy1979 said:

I have now uninstalled ESET and then did the updates. Still no joy. The update it found and was trying to install was 2018-04 Security monthly rollup for windows 7. My laptop has not installed any of these roll ups since the first one (2018-02) failed. The error given on the update is 8007054F - I have no idea what to do now.

Windows updates.PNG

It seems that Microsoft (not ESET) had caused much user consternation with that update...see  https://forum.eset.com/topic/15309-win-update-4093118repeating/?tab=comments&_fromLogin=1