7.0.577.0 Agent Upgrade Fails On Hyper-V Guests

I have several Hyper-V guests running Server 2016 Std that will not upgrade to Agent 7.0.577.0 . They are currently running version 7.0.553.0. I have tried upgrading via "Components Upgrade" from SMC and with a manual installer.

The Hyper-V hosts (also Server 2016) and all other computers on my network have upgraded to 7.0.577.0 without a problem. Is there a known issue installing the latest agent on Hyper-V guests?

• ESET Staff

We are not aware of any issues related to hyper-V hosts. We will need more detailed descriptions of the errors, including the install log / trace log from the agent from the moment of the failed upgrade attempt. 

I'll run another Components Upgrade and then upload the trace log. It might be a bit as it stays in a "running" status for quite a bit before it times out and shows failed.

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, puff said:

I'll run another Components Upgrade and then upload the trace log. It might be a bit as it stays in a "running" status for quite a bit before it times out and shows failed.

There should be full-verbosity MSIEXEC installation log with name ra-upgrade-infrastructure.log either in AGENT's Logs directory, or in system temporary directory. It should help us to identify cause of failure of last upgrade attempt.

From symptoms you describe it is possible that AGENT's service cannot stop and thus upgrade fails - in such case, could you provide us version/type of ESET security product you are using on those clients?

My upgrades failed due to an extended power outage that required me to shut down all servers. I tried manually uninstalling the agent though from one guest server and it fails, as the agent service cannot be stopped So I think that may be the root of the problem. How can I force terminate the agent service?

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this? I just need an ESET friendly way to manually kill the agent service so I can upgrade these servers. All the methods I've used so far are unsuccessful, as the agent service just restarts immediately. Attempting to set the service to disabled just gets me access denied messages.

• Administrators

As a last resort you could temporlarily disable Self-defense and reboot the system in case it was SD blocking the upgrade process for whatever reason 

Will that allow me to kill the agent process? I'm almost 100% certain that the agent upgrade is failing because the agent process cannot be stopped. These are production servers so if there is a way to kill the process without rebooting that would be best, but I can try disabling SD and rebooting after hours if that's the only way.

• Administrators

Agent is protected by SD so I assume there's a good chance that temporarily disabling it will help.