Endpoint Antivirus V7 and Windows XP

slarkins

Will Endpoint Antivirus install and work on a Windows XP computer..?? I still have a few that are used for specific applications in a manufacturing environment. If V7 wont install on Xp, what is the latest Endpoint AV that will work with both WIndows XP and also talk correctly with a V7 Security Management server?

• ESET Staff

Hello. ESET Endpoint Antivirus V7 is not supported officially on Windows XP. It will install and most probably work, however the latest officially supported version for Windows XP is Endpoint 6.5. Management agent V7, and Security Management Center are fully compatible with this older Endpoint version.

• Administrators

I'd also like to emphasize that installing the latest available version of a security product on an operating system not supported by its maker doesn't make up for missing security updates and patches. We strongly recommend to consider upgrading to a modern and  more secure operating system.

Does the Endpoint license cover all versions? i.e. can I install 6.5 on XP and 7 on Win7/10?

This said, I didn't realize that EES 7 isn't supported on XP and I have it installed on quite a few XP machines at work. These are really old computers that are used for a single task, they're over 10 years old and have 1 GB RAM and 80 GB hard drives. Not really worth the money to upgrade.

" These are really old computers that are used for a single task, they're over 10 years old and have 1 GB RAM and 80 GB hard drives. Not really worth the money to upgrade. "

If you are still using them then they ARE worth the money to upgrade. Logically, if you are using systems that perform a specific task and that task is a business-critical thing then the driving software should be updated. If it is not possible to do this then the policy that these systems operate from is outdated and needs correcting.

To recap: either they are not worth updating in which case they are not worth keeping. Or, they are necessary systems and, therefore, the time and money required to update should be set to it.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @FRiC,

19 minutes ago, FRiC said:

Does the Endpoint license cover all versions? i.e. can I install 6.5 on XP and 7 on Win7/10?

Yes sure, this was never restricted, you may install any of the versions, but naturally we advise to use the latest supported.

P.R.

24 minutes ago, Hpoonis said:

If you are still using them then they ARE worth the money to upgrade. Logically, if you are using systems that perform a specific task and that task is a business-critical thing then the driving software should be updated. If it is not possible to do this then the policy that these systems operate from is outdated and needs correcting.

Yeah, logically that's true, but it's all about the money. Oh, I forgot to mention the single task for the XP computers is to virtualize Win 98. The business programs are running in Win 98 since they don't work correctly in XP. Of course, I can upgrade to newer computers with better OS, and then they'll still be used to run Windows 98.