MAJOR Issue with 9.0.386 to 9.0.396 Update

This morning, when clicking on "check for program updates" within the update tab, an update from 9.0.386 to 9.0.396 was offered.

I ran the update on three systems: two Win7x64 SP1 systems and one Win10x64 (with anniversary update installed) system.

On the Win7 systems, after the update/reboot, the "action center" flag had a red x on it, and the message indicated that no anti-virus was installed on the computers. On closer inspection, the Win7 systems both recognized that NOD32 was checking for "spyware and unwanted software," but reported that NOD32 anti-virus was turned off and prompted me to install anti-virus.

ESET reported all was well through its interface.

"Repairing" the install on both systems, reverted the version back to 9.0.386. Running the update again, a larger set of files was downloaded (on the first update, the total update size was less than 1.5MB), but the result was the same.

The only solution was to uninstall NOD32, and reinstall from scratch. Interestingly, both the live-installer and advanced/local installer put 9.0.386 on my systems, not 9.0.396.

On the Windows 10 system, a similar scenario except that after the initial update ... Windows Defender turned itself on (since it was reading that NOD32 was not serving as an anti-virus, but did see - as with Win7 - that NOD32 was also checking for spyware, etc.) ESET reported all was well, so now both ESET and Windows Defender were running.

Again, the only solution was to uninstall ESET, and reinstall 9.0.386. After a fresh install on the Win10 system, Defender turned itself off, as would be expected.

In either case, you need to pull the 396 build from the in-program update, it is most certainly flawed.

I will be curious, however, with this fresh install of the 386 build, if the "latest update" reporting issue is resolved (as I had seen that those with fresh installs did not have that bug).

I have had EXACTLY the same experience as the poster above.

I have a 3 user NOD32 licence. I updated my 3 computers today from version 9.0.386 to version 9.0.396, and ON ALL 3 COMPUTERS it now says that I do not have an antivirus program installed.

As the poster above said, the update to version 9.0.396 is FLAWED and needs to be fixed.

I have the same problem. Windows 10 does not recognize ESET NOD32 Antivirus and keeps yelling in popups about system security, because Windows Defender was disabled during ESET NOD32 installation.

Product: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 9.0.395.2

Over in the ESS forum, ESET have acknowledged that there is an issue with 396 notifying Windows Security Centre, and they have removed the update from their servers and are working on a fix.

Edited by mossman

• Administrators

This is probably the known issue when, after changing the signature of binaries in v9.0.396, Windows Security Center denies ekrn attempts for communication. We are working on a solution - re-registration to WSC after a program update which appears to fix the issue. We expect the fix (uPCU) to be available within next week.

To fix this manually, start Windows in safe mode (important) and delete the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState.

This is probably the known issue when, after changing the signature of binaries in v9.0.396, Windows Security Center denies ekrn attempts for communication. We are working on a solution - re-registration to WSC after a program update which appears to fix the issue. We expect the fix (uPCU) to be available within next week.

To fix this manually, start Windows in safe mode (important) and delete the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState.

If you read the comments in the ESS forum on this issue, you will see that this procedure does not remedy the issue. Also, adding insult to injury, the issue reported here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/8938-definition-update-issue-with-version-90386/... is not resolved with a clean install on three systems (two Win7, one Win10 w/ anniversary update). On that thread, it was implied that a clean installation of build 386 would solve the issue of definition update reporting. It does not, which means there is an actual flaw in the code, not just the update process.

I have been using ESET products for over 10 years, and have been a raving fan. Together, these two issues do make me raise an eyebrow as to what is going on with testing and quality control ... " after changing the signature of binaries in v9.0.396, Windows Security Center denies ekrn attempts for communication ..." Really? In both Win7 and Win10 which handle this communication in different ways? This has never been an issue before with changes in the binary signatures of which there have been several over the past twelve months.

If my tone is somewhat harsh, please understand that I spent over two hours yesterday trying to resolve this issue, and additional hours trying to resolve the update-reporting issue. I take security seriously!

Edited by howardagoldberg

• Administrators

The instructions were not correct as I initially suggested to temporarily disable Self-defense but that's not enough. In the instructions above, I wrote "start Windows in safe mode (important)" instead of disabling Self-defense.

None of the issues you've been trying to solve affects protection capabilities; it's only visual misinformation in both cases and ESET has been providing maximum protection despite the misinformation either reported by WSC or in the update pane.

The instructions were not correct as I initially suggested to temporarily disable Self-defense but that's not enough. In the instructions above, I wrote "start Windows in safe mode (important)" instead of disabling Self-defense.

None of the issues you've been trying to solve affects protection capabilities; it's only visual misinformation in both cases and ESET has been providing maximum protection despite the misinformation either reported by WSC or in the update pane.

Ok, problem solved by deleting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState from windows safe mode. :)

OK, so I will stay at 9.0.381.0. The not updated "last update time" bug is not present with Windows 7 x64 and 9.0.381.x, but with 9.0.386.x and 396.x.

I have this same problem. During the upgrade to the latest software version, I got a pop-up that the ehdrv.sys driver failed to install. When I try to download the latest version of the Windows nod32, the installer is in some Cyrillic based language. What's up with that? My OS is Win 10 Anniversary edition (1607). Help!