Protocol filtering - another issue

DrTeeth

On booting win 7 x64 and only since upgrading to v9, do I get a message from ESET saying that the protocol filtering proxy has failed to start and HTTP, POP3 etc will not be protected. I just logout and then login again and this seems to correct this.

The error is linked to how quickly I logon.

Is this a timing issue in v9? *Never* say this message with v8.

TIA,

DrT

• Administrators

This is a known issue that v9 attempts to start certain drivers before dependent services are running. However, it should take only a while until the services are started and the protection status changes back from red to green.

This will be addresses in the upcoming v9 service release soon.

• Administrators

ESET does not affect SMTP communication. Only POP3(S) and IMAP(S) protocols are scanned. Does disabling integration with the appropriate email client make a difference?

Also please try installing the latest version of EAV 9.0.349 from scratch. It was released yesterday and also addresses the issue with displaying a protocol filtering error when Windows is started.

After more than an hour with Microsoft poking around I can send mail with Outlook. Not sure what happened, haven't got that pop up about the protocol filtering again.

The latest version is 9.0.349.0. It was released a few days ago. In all the years I have been using ESET, I have never managed to update the program using its own update procedure...I seem to find the full installers on the ESET site before the updates are released.

Merry Christmas

DrT

• Former ESET Employees

The new service release (9.0.349.0) is available as a PCU update for those who have pre-release updates turned on OR you can install it from eset.com directly.

I do not wish to take risks with security software by installing "pre-release updates" - that sounds like beta software. I would hazard a guess that that would not be a popular choice amongst your customer base. How long does it normally take for the pre-release patch to be released?

DrT

Edited by DrTeeth

• Former ESET Employees

If there's no issues, PCU updates will be pushed in a few days. In the meantime the new build is also available as a direct download from eset.com

Not very user friendly for those of us who depend on you. If I wanted to do the work myself why should I pay? I have no idea what pcu means I just want a set it and forget it product with helpful help.

Hello Ellen. See hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2256/ for an explaination of a PCU (and hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3415/ for an explaination of pre-release updates - if you want them ... I think most folks don't).

As Marcos said you can get v 9.0.349.0 now here hxxp://www.eset.com/us/support/download/home/nod32-antivirus/ by using the live installer and installing it over the version you already have installed.

If you have any questions/issues please do not hesitate to ask (here) and someone should be able to help.

Good luck.

Edited by TomFace

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed this is a very annoying problem and together with reported fact that automatic update will not work this makes customers uncertain whether their device is still protected.

Just checked that with the German version still only the .318. version is available....
Even inside module update will not pick any updates.