Windows 10 forget folder view setting when ESS is installed

Hi,

I'm using Eset Endpoint Security, the Cleaner module seems to be upgraded to version 1113 (20150929), and I'm still facing the "icon arrangement problem".

Can you help?

If you are facing an issue with the size of icons in File Explorer, this should have been fixed automatically after installing the Cleaner module 1113 and running a startup scan (should run automatically after an update by default).

If you're having issues with icons on the desktop, I've read that this was caused by Windows itself and it was addressed in the latest insider preview build. What build of Windows 10 are you using?

I'm having issues with icons on my desktop.

I'm using Windows 10 x64 Enterprise, build 10240, and I do not participate in the Insider program.

Edited by adam lamarz

Please run manual update to make sure that all modules are current. Check the About windows for information about installed modules and make sure the installed version of the Cleaner module is 1113. Then restart the computer.

Should the problem persist, let us know. It seems that v1113 of the Cleaner module should eventually fix the issue for all users.

Marcos, it doesnt. the problem still persists

ESET Smart Security cleaner module 1113 resolved my problem of Windows 10 icons constantly resetting to the default position (along left side of screen).

A number of prior posts here, and on Win10 forums, noted this same problem. I tried all of the "simple solutions" but none worked for me. I did not, however, do the registry changes suggested by some because of ESET Moderators comments. I opted to wait for new ESET cleaner modules. Although 1112 did not fix this problem for me, 1113 did do so. Thank you ESET for fixing this: all things considered it was a minor problem but one that was driving me crazy.

Module 1113 didn't solved my issue, after some minutes the registry keys are getting back to %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll causing icon resetting

• Administrators

Module 1113 didn't solved my issue, after some minutes the registry keys are getting back to %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll causing icon resetting

If you are able to reproduce the behavior when the value changes back to the wrong value, please create a Process monitor log from that moment. When done, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

I've been suffering this problem now all week. The registry files keep resetting back to the wrong values despite trying everything in this thread.

I was running an up-to-date version Eset Endpoint 5 with Cleaner v1113.

Given up for the moment and uninstalled Eset.

So far the problem has not resurfaced. I will reinstall once the problem has been fixed.

Doing this as part of a test for our company to pick up any issues with Windows 10 deployment.

If you are able to reproduce the behavior when the value changes back to the wrong value, please create a Process monitor log from that moment. When done, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

In which format do you prefer it? PML (1.1gb), CSV(153mb) or XML(300mb)? Cause I started the program and it was on %SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll and after some minutes it changed to %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll 

I've got a slow connection (0.79 mbps in upload) so the time I need depends on which format you prefer

Edit: Seems that it's a dllhost.exe fault, I've looked for a specific key and that's the result hxxp://imgur.com/XZe68hI

Edited by sas46

Here is what I found:

The instructions in the preceding posts indicate that two registry keys need to be changed:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\(Default)​

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\(Default)​

I changed the values on both to:

%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll​

and rebooted. This fixed it temporarily, but upon the next reboot they were changed back again to the previous values (shell32.dll), and the desktop icon problem was BACK.

So, I went back to the registry and changed them as follows:

On this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\(Default)​​

I changed the value to:

%SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll​

and this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\(Default)​​

I changed it to:

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\windows.storage.dll​

I've rebooted several times now and the problem is now gone. The registry values seem to stick.

I hope this helps someone, as it was certainly frustrating, and I hope someone at ESET can supply a permanent fix.

EDIT: NEVER MIND of the above, it still reverted back to shell32.dll after several reboots and waiting longer....

Edited by Pando

Well, never mind about my previous post. Seems that I didn't wait long enough after each reboot. After the last reboot the values reverted back to shell32.dll.

Argggg.....!

Here is a ProcMon log screenprint showing ekrn.exe changing the registry values. I hope this helps.

I did a pre-release update and I'm currently using Cleaner module 1113 (20150929), ESET EA 5.0.2214.4, and the problem still exists.

post-9078-0-90445300-1443721536_thumb.png

Edited by Pando

Here is a ProcMon log screenprint showing ekrn.exe changing the registry values. I hope this helps.

attachicon.gifESET registry change.png

Yes, same situation also in my case, ESET (ekrn.exe) changing registry values.
I shared a whole log file for Marcos. Hope, ESET team resolve this problem soon.

I'm currently using:
ESET EA 5.0.2229.1
Cleaner module 1113 (20150929)
Windows 10 Pro (64bit) version 6.2.9200
Edited by dedamraz

Just for giggles I tried to set permissions to those keys so System would not be able make changes to the key - no luck. Even with explicit write deny permissions for "System", ekrn.exe (which invokes the System) is still changing the key. Windows must have a global override.

So for now I just modified the permissions so I can still change the keys quickly myself with an exported registry file. Since Windows reads these values only once upon login, I need to execute the reg file before I log off. It's a pain, but much faster than manually modifying the keys all the time. One of these days I'll set up a script or batch file that runs this automatically upon logoff.

I also verified with a plain Windows 10 machine without ESET that both registry keys are set to %SystemRoot%\system32\windows.storage.dll

Here is the reg file contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,77,00,69,00,\
  6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,2e,00,73,00,74,00,6f,00,72,00,61,00,67,00,65,\
  00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32]
@=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,\
  00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,77,00,69,00,\
  6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,2e,00,73,00,74,00,6f,00,72,00,61,00,67,00,65,\
  00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,00,00

Needless to say that this problem with ESET will put a stop to our Windows 10 rollout in our company, and if it isn't fixed in a reasonable time will cause us to look for other AV vendors.

Excuse me, but why should I change the system registry every computer in my company to fix application error for which I pay money year after year? Please specific information about when the fix will be issued.

There's no need to do anything manually. The fix was already distributed via an automatic module update as stated above.

Excuse me, but the problem on my PC happend 5 hours ago, and my ESS V8 cleaner module version is 1113.  the latest update is for 8 hours ago, so problem have happend infront of cleaner.

I think I've just found a temporary solution using Task scheduler and the batch file gaved in tenforums.com

You can find my modded batch attached at the end of the post (made some changes for admin privileges, nothing more)
VIRUS TOTAL SCAN https://www.virustotal.com/it/file/8d0ba2f92caab146fe5c36231f7240fd0e60306e8860c3a70d2b425d2acfe9d8/analysis/1443861638/

Open Task scheduler and create a new task

Now choose a name for your task, select "Run wheter user is logged or not" and "Run with highest privileges" and Select configure forWindows 10 (not sure if last it changes something)

Now go to Triggers tab and add a new trigger
at Begin the task choose "On an event", leave basic, at Log choose SystemSource "USER32" and Event ID "1074" as in the image below. 

hxxp://i.imgur.com/ER67VeQ.png

Now click OK and go to Actions tab
Add a New entry and choose Start a program and select your downloaded batch file for your OS version (32 or 64bit)
On add arguments insert: par 1
On Start in add your batch file folder location path, mine was 
C:\Users\Neri\Desktop\Updated FolderViewSettingsFix\ESET_FolderViewSettingsFix
(not sure if these 2 entries changes something but for safety I recommend you to use it

as here: hxxp://i.imgur.com/hL4CZWj.png

Click OK

On Condition Tab untick all entries

On Settings tab UNTICK "Stop the task if it runs longer than" and leave the rest as default

If you want you can enable History but it's not necessary

Now check if the registry dll is back to shell32.dll and try the task shutting down your computer

If your icons are back at their default position you have done your job correctly, if not you have only to change your keys authorization on regedit to Administrator

Hope you will find that guide helpful and feel free to ask anything you need001.png

Apologize me if I made some grammar mistakes but as you see from the screens I'm not native english 001.png

Updated FolderViewSettingsFix.rar

Needless to say that this problem with ESET will put a stop to our Windows 10 rollout in our company, and if it isn't fixed in a reasonable time will cause us to look for other AV vendors.

We've trusted ESET for years and have just renewed our AV licenses for another year. This may seem like a "niggle", after all, it's not causing an OS crash, but it's the type of niggle that would cost us many hours of frontline support trying to fix.

Come on ESET, where's the official response and fix on this?

In the meantime, my laptop has been running fine just on Windows Defender and, echoing Pando, this incident will form part of my report on our rollout of Windows 10 and supporting software for our company too.

Edited by deanb01

I think tha problem happens when Eset serches after windows registerys that are wrong. the fillowing regisrty value (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42aedc87-2188-41fd-b9a3-0c966feabec1}\InProcServer32\) in windows 8.1 (and older) are shell32.dll. and Eset thinks that registery value in windows 10 still refers to shell32.dll , and the value is mischanged to windows.storage.dll (the defualt value).

We've trusted ESET for years and have just renewed our AV licenses for another year. This may seem like a "niggle", after all, it's not causing an OS crash, but it's the type of niggle that would cost us many hours of frontline support trying to fix.

Come on ESET, where's the official response and fix on this?

I'm the thread's starter and I solved my problem with the string manual correction and the first update from 1111 to 1112 cleaner in Eset.

I must say how much I am disappointed by the behavior of Eset. I open the ticket even before I open this post, on 16 September.
The next day I received confirmation with an automated email.
Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.
Your request Has Been received. We will review your case and respond, Within 1 business day.
Case # 1 **************** "has been created for you.

I received a new email on 21 September

An ESET Customer Care Representative has updated this case with the following information:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.

To identify your issue and help you resolve it, we need to collect additional information about your system configuration and any installed ESET antivirus product. To gather and submit the necessary log files, follow the steps from the Knowledgebase article below: 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I use ESET Log Collector? 

hxxp://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN3466

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

After that email, nothing but silence.

I never received any response, any help to solve the case or any explanation.
Nor anything that had managed to get here on the forum.
Not even anything about what we had managed to find here on the forum. Eset could not know that I had been able to find help here, but since then I have not received any answer or help.
From September 16 to October 3 today: nothing.

After 15 years I am really very disappointed.
That's all.

I just had to register to post my disappointment too:

I used Eset Smart Security for at least the last 5 years IIRC, and never had such massive (unfixable) problems since i used it on Win10.

Besides the folder settings not saving anymore, i also encountered other problems, where the Read/write policies for several folders got corrupted.

All this forced me to reinstall Win10 to get it fixed again.

Since then i tried another Security Suite, Bitdefender, but uninstalled that ###### after a few days again. Not using a security suite since then, besides Windows Defender.

I REALLY hope Eset gets their ###### up again to fix their Software for Win10. I mean it's over a month now, and i see no real fix by the dev team themselves.

Edited by bobitsch

• Administrators

We've found out that the issue continues to occur with Cleaner module 1113 if an ESET product not supporting Windows 10 is installed. With the latest version installed, it shouldn't occur. We've made one more fix to prevent the issue from occurring even if an older version of an ESET product is installed. A Cleaner module with this fix (1114) is now available on pre-release update servers.

Is there anybody with a Windows 10 compatible version installed (the latest one available on the web) who is experiencing the issue despite having Cleaner module 1113 installed?

• Administrators

Just recieved a new update, hope it solves something

Apparently you have an older version 8.0.309 which is not Windows 10-compatible. Update to the latest version 8.0.319 please. With a compatible version, you wouldn't have had this issue.