Phone still vulnerable after Stagefright update

Seth

Got the Stagefright update and checked with ESET Stagefright Detector and it still shows vulnerable. Checked with Zimperium Stagefright Detector and it passed. I belive Zimperium was the one who found out about the Stagefright exploit and I think they were first out with a Stagefright Dectector app. Any comment from ESET staff?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Even the devices that already had the Stagefright fixes distributed, were only partially patched, so there are still some vulnerabilities present.

As our detector app does not look for the presence of the patches, but it rather looks at the exploitable vulnerabilities directly, it detects correctly that the device may still be a subject to attacks. As far as I know, not even Nexus devices are fully patched as of today.

As for the 404 error, try to clear your browser cache, since the link from the app worked correctly for me.

In any case, it leads to this URL: hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3751/

Regards,

T.

• 2 weeks later...

As our detector app does not look for the presence of the patches, but it rather looks at the exploitable vulnerabilities directly, it detects correctly that the device may still be a subject to attacks. As far as I know, not even Nexus devices are fully patched as of today.

That's good, but AFAIK that's the same which is also done by Zimperium. Zimperium even shows you the exact exploits (7 ones) for which it checks (which even takes longer than the check the ESET Stagefright Detector app is doing). So I doubt that Zimperium is wrong there - and I'm quite sure it also checks for the vulnerabilities directly.

This is what the both apps actually show:

post-3952-0-45320500-1443223476_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-12288000-1443223483_thumb.png

And that's the device with it's exact version:

post-3952-0-80454200-1443223612_thumb.png