Automatic startup file check

hqsec
Go to solution Solved by rugk,

Hello to all!

I have few questions about Automatic startup file check (default scheduled tasks performed after user logon and successful update). How does ESET handle any threats that it finds during this scans? Does it ask user what to do or does it automatically remove (quarantine) them? Can the behavior be configured? If yes, where?

Thnx for your help.

Edited by hqsec

• Solution
With the default settings it reacts the same like it also reacts with other scans. All malware is automatically (i.e. quarantines) removed and it asks for PUA and co whether to remove this.

And you can configure this in the ThreatSense settings here:
post-3952-0-39937900-1424450513_thumb.png

And FYI there are also some options in the scheduler where you can configure how and what the startup (files) scan should scan and of course you can also configure it to start at other times than the system start:

post-3952-0-42627400-1428164834_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-06100800-1428164814_thumb.pngpost-3952-0-41822500-1428408330_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

I actually disable the automatic startup scan since if any suspicious/malicious file is launched, upon access it would be quarantined anyway so I don't need something slowing my startup. I however leave the option to scan startup files upon a successful update

• Administrators

I actually disable the automatic startup scan since if any suspicious/malicious file is launched, upon access it would be quarantined anyway so I don't need something slowing my startup. I however leave the option to scan startup files upon a successful update

This is not a good idea. For instance, if malware made it to run when not yet recognized by ESET and the detection would be added a bit later in an update, such malware wouldn't be detected in memory with startup scan tasks disabled. Theoretically it would be detected the next time you start the computer or if you run an on-demand scan manually.

@Marcos

Yes, I can fully agree.

@Matrix Leader

The possibly slowdown is also the reason why I added this:

[..] of course you can also configure it to start at other times than the system start:

So if you really don't want this top start when the system starts then at least configure another startup file scan which runs daily (or any other period you wish), so the scan will still be executed. (Keep in mind that there is under "Scan priority" even the option "when idle")

BTW you can of course also do this if you leave the "normal" startup scan task enabled and configure your own startup files scan to scan "All registered files", so that a "deeper" startup scan will be executed in addition to the default startup scan.

Edited by rugk