upgrade from 4.2.xxx to 5.0.22

I am planning to upgrade from 4.2.76 to 5.0.22. I could not find the RAC and Server for 5.0.22. I just installed 5.0.22 client on a Windows7, from netstat, it shows connection with 4.2 server established, but the RAC does not  show the client.

Any ideas?

It will be great if there is a document describe the best practice of this upgrade.

Thanks.

• ESET Staff

Hi Grant7072,

We do have a Knowledgebase article with instructions to help you upgrade to the latest version of ERA. To view it, click the link below.

How do I upgrade ESET Remote Administrator to the latest version?

With regards to getting clients to appear, the following article might be helpful:

Why can't I see client workstations in the client tab of ESET Remote Administrator?

Based on the installation guide, I have to remove EVERY clients before install this new version. This is really painful, as I have about 4000 clients.

Is there any shortcut for this?

• ESET Staff

Hi Grant,

If your client workstations are using ESET NOD32 Business edition 4.x or newer, you should be able to upgrade them without removing the software. First, follow the instructions from the article I linked to in my last post to upgrade Remote Administrator to the latest version. Once you have the latest version of ERA, there are two methods to push the upgrade to your client workstations:

• the PCU method, which might work well for you since you have a large number of clients (in this method your clients receive the latest version automatically when they check in to receive virus signature updates).

• or using an upgrade task, which is similar to performing a push installation.

If you have an earlier version of ESET installed on client workstations, you can remove it from all client workstations by performing a push uninstall. Our article How do I push uninstall to client workstations using ESET Remote Administrator? (5.x) contains instructions to do this. Once you uninstall the older version of ESET, you can then install ESET Endpoint Antivirus using the PCU or by performing a push installation.

To answer your second question, yes ERA version 5.0.122 can be used to manage Endpoint version 5.0.22 clients, however we recommend that you always use the latest version of ESET Remote Administrator available.

I tried remote upgrade on 4.0.xx client, did not work. I upgraded client to 4.2.76, then did remote upgrade, "remote install" tag showed the upgrade finished, without warning, the 4.2.76 client was removed from server and task bar, but the folder still exists in Start--All Programs--ESET--ESET NOD32 antivirus, And the software still runs after reboot.

Any suggestions?

• ESET Staff

Hi Grant,

So you attempted to remote install ESET Endpoint Antivirus over NOD32 Antivirus version 4.2.76 and the client is still running NOD32?

If this is the case, my advice would be to uninstall NOD32 completely and perform a fresh installation of ESET Endpoint Antivirus. If you are working with multiple clients as before, first push uninstall NOD32 Antivirus, complete the steps in our Push installation requirements checklist and then attempt a fresh push installation.

If you encounter errors in the process, refer to our article ESET Remote Administrator Push Installation and Push Uninstallation Errors.

Thanks for your suggestion. The "Push Uninstall" did not work. I could remote install on the client, but can not remote uninstall.

state text: could not setup IPC connection to target computer (SC error code 6, GLE error code 1203)

The client has printer and file sharing enabled, firewall allowed TCP 139,445, UDP 137,138 inbound from my ESET server.

• ESET Staff

Ok Grant,

I'm sorry that this has been such a process for you to go through, thanks for your patience. The upgrade process is becoming much more streamlined for our current generation of business products.

It sounds like you're referring to one specific client machine. If this is indeed the case, it might be best to manually uninstall NOD32 Business edition on this individual client workstation and then reinstall Endpoint Antivirus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Staff

sdnian,

Since the PCU method effectively installs over the top of the existing software, a capability that 3.x/4.x products do not have, it would be best to uninstall ESET on those machines and then push an installation package with the latest version of ESET to all client computers.

• Administrators

PCU method described here should work for clients running any older version of ESET's products. As for the Upgrade feature available in ERA, it was first supported in one of the last v4.2 installers so it won't work for older versions.